Live TV on Virgin Blue

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by Yada Yada, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    After stepping off my SYD-MEL flight yesterday morning, I noticed a DJ plane parked at Gate 2 with a strange looking hump on the top near the tail. It was later confirmed that this was indeed the first plane with Live TV on its maiden run. This is a very cool development in IFE in Australia and puts Virgin Blue way ahead of its competition.

2. SeatBackForward

SeatBackForward Established Member

Jun 20, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No doubt, next to each screen will be the coin slot, $2 will get you 30mins of any channel you choose ;)

Know of any decent slot machine companies to invest in? Actually joking aside, this would seem more fitting a joke for Jetstar rather than Virgin.

3. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    It is definitely a pay-per-use service. Although I am happy with that. I'd rather pay to get a muli-channel high-quality service than endure re-runs of Everybody Loves Raymond or Two and Half Chimps on QF domestic. And I've never really cared for the Channel 9 News service either, although I will admit that Sharyn Ghidella is pretty cool. ;)

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    This sounds very interesting - sadly something QF probbaly wont do internationally given that AVOD is stil not everywhere - I dont see them implementing something else on top of that - mind you I would prefer wireless internet on board - that is somethng I would pay for personally if my company refused to pay.

5. bboy

bboy Junior Member

Sep 14, 2005
    is it a pay-per-use service? it's free on jetblue..

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    $6 per credit card swipe is what I have read. Not sure if that is per flight or per hour, but expect the former.

7. Standby

Standby Active Member

May 25, 2006
    Maybe worthwhile on on a PER/DRW trip but consider this
    This is live TV..have you some of the drivel avail..before we start having a go
    at re-run of mr Bean on QF just wait til you've swipped and yr offered "the Nanny" or hogans heros for yr 6 bucks.
    Also on a short flight you'll get 30mins on a SYDMEL run by the time they switch it on (assume the same not avail til cruising and turned off on decent)
    This isnt AVOD so you'll end up getting bits of programs and movies.
    I'll keep using my non DELL laptop with DVD and video IPOD thanks
    Its a big investment and I'm assuming 180 seats fitted with the weight of all the cabling/systems hardware etc could actually be a neg impact on costs
    due increased fuel burm....every little bit of extra weight counts when fuel is $70 bucks a barrel and youre not hedged.
    A cynic says they will go slow on the role out to guage takeup before committing to full deployment

8. kelix

kelix Intern

Jul 28, 2006
    Brisbane
    yea.. not to mention... its not digital (DVB-T) so the fleet will need a new reciever by 2010. lol... aaand impretty sure DVBTs signals dont reach out too far beyond the cities its deployed in....

9. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I pay for Optus/Foxtel at home and it is clearly a waste of time. Why pay for it on a flight?

What did we do on a flight to Europe/US 12 years ago? No movies, laptops, ipods. Solitaire, with real cards, reading, crossword puzzles and flight path were very popular. How times have changed.

10. jakeseven7

jakeseven7 Active Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Not to mention Cable is just as bad as FTA now with all the ads!

Funny thing is that both JQ and QF buy cable media so DJ will be advertising their competitors.

I think the TV idea is lame, however at least they finally have the infrastructure to take the next step and put pay per program/movie or something. That would be way better than TV.

11. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    if Virgin is only the 3rd airline in the world to offer this who are the other 2?

Jet Blue is mentioned and i reckon the other one is Westjet.

let me know if i am incorrect, as i am sure folks will :mrgreen:

12. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    You guys are kidding, right? You'd prefer to watch the drivel served up on QF domestic than have a multi-channel system when you can select what to watch? :confused:

I don't know what channels will be available but it has to be better than what's offered by the competition.

13. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Many Saturday/Sunday afternoon flights on QF, I have been listening to the footy on Ch2 (ABC). It's a real PITA when, say, somwhere over Dubbo it get changed to the ABC of another state and the footy code being broadcast changes. :-|

For me I reckon the ONLY thing I would part with my ready $$ in flight for would be a live sport cast.

(Go Hawks, Storm ;) )

14. crazydave98

crazydave98 Active Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Sydney
    Serfty, I reckon you will be pretty well catered for. The sports channels will be
    FOX SPORTS 1
    FOX SPORTS 2
    FOX Footy Channel
    FUEL

How pissed off will Qantas be, sponsoring the Australian Cricket Team and only being able to show canned highlights of yesterday's news when you will be able to see every ball of the Ashes from 40,000 feet?

Other channels will be
    Sky News Australia
    FOX News
    CNN
    THE COMEDY CHANNEL
    The History Channel
    UKTV
    FOX Classics
    MAX
    The LifeStyle Channel
    Discovery Travel & Adventure Channel
    Animal Planet
    LifeStyle FOOD
    FOX8
    Channel [V]
    Club [V]
    Arena TV

I've left off the kids channels.

special introductory rate of $6 for all flights. The every day rate will be $6 for unlimited viewing on most sectors and $9 on flights over three hours.

live2air will operate from the moment the aircraft pushes back to the moment it pulls up at the gate, maximising viewing time. And the cynic is speaking out his exhaust pipe - we're committed to full deployment with aircraft time in the hangar already confirmed and build into our schedules. This isn't going to be half-arsed.

It's satellite not terrestrial broadcast. The reason for the bump on the fuselage that Yada Yada referred to is to accommodate the antenna necessary for full national coverage. Receivers angle is covered - do you really think we can't plan ahead? (don't bother with an obvious answer - see if you can come up with something original and witty and I'll arrange for someone send some merchandise).

cheers

CrazyDave98

15. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    That is so cool. Looking forward to trying it out.

Will the headsets be same as existing or is there something new?

Thanks for the info crazydave98.

16. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    Well anything could be better than the dribble QF had on Mel-Bris the weekend. On Sat on way up was the earth shattering Planet Earth for 90 mins, and on the return on sunday, again the SAME BLOODY show.
    Thankfully I needed a bit of shuteye.

17. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Do you get to look at the programming schedule before paying? If I knew I could get a few hours of Mythbusters, I'd have my CC out faster than Jamie can grab the switch to detonate an explosion :D. But if all that was on offer was crab fishing on the Bering Sea, and no cricket being played, then I'll be content to listen to a few Goonshow episodes on my PPC.

Perhaps a scrolling programming guide covering the next few hours on display in the gate lounge may whet the appetite?

18. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I have Foxtel Satellite Digital at home so maybe I can just take my guide from home!

19. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Hmm... wonder what state? Standard Foxtel Available programming varies somewhat depending upon the 'State' you are registered under.

20. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Didnt Foxtel announce the fotty channel would cease at the end of the year?