Jumbo Jet applies for firefighting job

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by bigjobs, Mar 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    I read this in the USA Today in Houston today 13th March 2006.

I think it's pretty cool, I'd like to see the plane in action!

2. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    A 747 carrying 20,500 gallons of water is going to be seriously heavy. I hope they can afford the fuel.

3. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Remember, this is America. Everything is bigger here, and they can certainly afford the fuel. Given what they are spending to get it from Iraq currently ... did i just say that out loud?

4. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Not that heavy, it works about to be a load of 91 tonnes which fits well in the MTOW of 412T, empty weight is circa 180T which leaves at least 100T of fuel which is about 10 hours flying, and if I was flying at 200 ft I am not sure I want 10 hours of fuel onboard! Weight and balance would also be interesting when the tap gets turned on!

More importantly is the frequency of dumps it could provide given the airport requirements and time to refill the water, I suspect it may not be that attractive when compared to some of the Canadian amphib delivery units that can refill on the run from a lake.