job that requires travelling

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by jellyman81, Oct 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. jellyman81

    jellyman81 Newbie

    Oct 2, 2006
    #1 jellyman81, Oct 2, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
    Travel Jobs - career change

    Hello all

    just wanted some feedback and advice from seasoned professionals. could someone please advise what job requires travelling.

    I have a bachelor of commerce degree and part way through the CA program. i am currently in a corporate tax consulting role in a large accounting & business advisory firm and have been doing that for the last 3 years. to be honest, i hate it to bits and am considering looking for a different career path that requires extensive travel (domestic and international). something that gets me out of the office and meeting people.

    Please advise. I am also willing to take a job offer ;)

  2. NM


    Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Pilot or Flight Attendant have to be towards the top of the list
  3. bigjobs

    bigjobs Active Member

    Jun 4, 2005
    yeah, try Jetstar ... i think they are looking for people and i hear they are going to be offering international services too ...:p
  4. vt

    vt Member

    Mar 9, 2006
    It would be fair to say that if you are good at your job, and you want to travel, it will happen. You could indicate that your next project would ideally be interstate or overseas. Failing that, SOX and ITIL people are in demand the world over.

    I would assume your last 3 years would be from a graduate position :mrgreen: . Given this assumption, your opportunity cost of quitting and going to the UK to contract would be affordable.

    This would provide you with some great overseas experience and be able to travel on the weekends. Just dont fall into the trap of spending more than you earn.

    Have a look or google jobs that are going...plan on getting some hot skills...

    Dont wait for job offers
  5. simongr

    simongr Enthusiast

    Jul 10, 2006
    Internal audit provides opportunity for travel if you have a CA qualification. If you work for one of teh big four then try a move into one of their risk management groups - learn a bit about internal audit and then apply to a major corporate for an IA job :)
  6. Febs

    Febs Established Member

    Aug 15, 2006
    Even if you don't. :)
    A lot of my travel is for Internal Audit work (I work as a consultant/IT auditor with one of the Big 4) and I don't have my CA. (Edit: Oh, I mean outside of the Big 4. :))

    jellyman81 - If you're already in a large firm (Big 4?) there may be other positions within that firm that have travel opportunities. For example, I only started my job this year, yet I've travelled interstate or overseas about once a month. Other people I started with though, in more accounting-type roles, have hardly done any travel at all.

    A lot of it comes down to luck though, too.

    - Febs.
  7. Commuter

    Commuter Active Member

    Jun 14, 2006
    Watch out for a job that requires a lot of travelling though - you might not get to see much at the destination because you are always working, working and working!

    I'd say the best way of travelling around and seeing lots is to be retired with lots of money! :mrgreen:
  8. jellyman81

    jellyman81 Newbie

    Oct 2, 2006

    thanks for your advise.

    I work in a large second-tier accounting/business advisory firm with a national reputation. there prob isnt much flexibility to move to an Internal in an audit role. i reckon if i were to move to a big four firm, i may have to take a pay cut.

    I suppose the trade-off is whether i am willing to take the risk and enjoy the work and have the opportunity to travel
  9. kamchatsky

    kamchatsky Established Member

    Mar 8, 2006
    Somewhere in Sydney
    Do you require an accounting background/degree to do IT Audit? I am in IT industry and have been looking to change career .. One of it being IT auditing .....
  10. Febs

    Febs Established Member

    Aug 15, 2006
    Not at all, although I did come in as a graduate. The basic accounting knowledge we require is taught in training courses and on the job.

    In fact, I'm going for my "CISA" (Certified IS Auditor) certification later this year, and we were told that people who have an IT background (but are new to the audit side of things) generally find it easier than those who have an audit background (but are new to the IT side of things).


    - Febs.

    PS: Send me a PM if you'd like, and I'll see if any suitable positions are coming up. :)
  11. QF WP


    Jun 20, 2002
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    jellyman81, there are plenty of jobs which require commerce and accounting disciplines and come with travel. Come to think of it, mines pretty close (I'm a CFP) and I travel regularly to SYD/MEL/ASL/PER (helps having a couple of national clients). Being a BDM in the finacial services industry will get you both domestic & international travel (attending conferences).

    IainF (in the medical sales area) has had a very busy YTD. I think he's hit 90K EQM's in AA's program, so that probably equates to ~ 75K miles flown. Not bad for 9 months.
  12. Tiki

    Tiki Member

    Jul 21, 2004
    I've temped for a few companies who have their HR dept in Sydney and the person visits branches in other cities, so that could be an option too.
  13. azza_1992

    azza_1992 Intern

    Oct 7, 2006
    Just out of interest, how much travelling would a civil engineer do? (Domestic and International) If any one here is a engineer, how much travel do you do and what company do you work for?
  14. SeatBackForward

    SeatBackForward Established Member

    Jun 20, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Depends on what you do and who you work for. If you work for a project based organisation in a capacity where you will need to be on the ground on projects, not that much - because you'll move onto a project and remain there until time to move onto the next one.
    However if you're in a capacity where you oversee a number of projects then you probably will get to travel lots.

    There's no yes or no answer to that question as circumstances vary a lot, and even within civil engineering there are many branches.
  15. bambbbam2

    bambbbam2 Active Member

    Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    Years ago I saw a job advertised that was working for the then -CAA. Basically it was picking up safety documents from every main airport in the country.

    So fly to Melb in the morning, Perth in the afternoon and pick up documents. I'm SURE that you would not have got points though, I think the airlines had to supply those seats to safety inspectors without charge.

Share This Page