Jetstar pilot wages

Discussion in 'Jetstar' started by Yada Yada, Mar 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    The last paragraph in this story says: "The pay for narrow-body captains would rise to $133,000 in the first year. Mr Westaway said this was up from existing rates, but declined to say what they were. The Australian understands it is around $132,000."

So an extra $1,000 per annum, or $19.23 per week. :shock:

2. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    $133k for a captain... no wonder they're not popular (a head flight attendant with a mainline gets close to that)

3. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    i get more than that and i don't have a single person's life in my hands, nor do any decisions i make have the ability to place people in harms way so directly.

that's an amazingly low amount of money i think.

4. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    Try asking some of the pilots working for the regional airlines what they are paid and how it compares, given that they have spent many years to get to that stage and paid for a licence that is not exactly an asset you can sell and it seems a long way to the top for not much reward. They might not even get that far if a health issue pops up.

I have a commercial licence which I dont use, but I was lucky enough to be able to offset the cost as a tax deduction against a job that had a high tax bracket, most proffessionals are usually paid low wages as flight instructors so their tax deduction is often only 30c in the dollar at best, truely a labour of love on a long road to riches!

5. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Another report.

From News.com.au

6. BlacKnox

BlacKnox Active Member

Jan 29, 2005
    $133K does seem like a small amount of money but I wonder how much ER doctors earn (lives in their hands daily too). I guess it's just the old supply/ demand element where the employer will only pay what the market dictates.

Note NorthWest pilots recently accepted a 24% pay cut and agreed to forgo raises for at least two years. Apparently a 1-2% payrise is slated for 2008.

7. N860CR

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Northwest is in somewhat of a desperate financial situation right now, the same can't really be said for Qantas. Their profits are going up and up and up (unlike most major airlines at the moment) and I guess it's pretty obvious why that's the case...

8. justinbrett

justinbrett Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Sydney
    Flight Attendents get paid six figure incomes? You can't be serious.

I'm in the wrong job.

9. N860CR

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    Perhaps not quite six figure, I may have been exagurating a little! But I do know of a QF International FA who gets $96k which is pretty damn close to six figures.
    Be interesting to hear what a JQ first officer is paid, if it's $133k for a captain an FO would no doubt be well below $100k

10. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Also remember that there is a base salary, and then there are all sort of allowances and other payments and benefits on top of that. And some of those benefits are impossible to quantify, such as cheap travel - for some people it may not amount to much at all, while to others it could be worth many many thousands of dollars depending on how much they want to travel for personal reasons.