Jetstar passengers fall ill on Honolulu flight | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Jetstar passengers fall ill on Honolulu flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homer

Established Member
Joined
Jul 8, 2006
Messages
1,402
September 25, 2007 - 12:07PM

Passengers aboard a Jetstar flight from Australia were sequestered in Honolulu for more than an hour today after 10 of them became ill from food poisoning.

It is unclear whether they were poisoned by food eaten before or during the Jetstar flight from Melbourne, said state Department of Transportation spokesman Scott Ishikawa.

They were held for more than an hour in a new quarantine area at Honolulu International Airport while being checked and released by the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

One passenger was taken to a hospital.

Jetstar passengers fall ill on Honolulu flight - News - Travel - smh.com.au
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
234
Homer said:
September 25, 2007 - 12:07PM

Passengers aboard a Jetstar flight from Australia were sequestered in Honolulu for more than an hour today after 10 of them became ill from food poisoning.
Hmm, suddenly I'm not so fussed about not having included meals on that flight! Yours truly and the better half are taking it in Jan, so we shall see how we go 9hrs sans food.

mt
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,266
Flights
My Map
mainly tailfirst said:
Hmm, suddenly I'm not so fussed about not having included meals on that flight!
But it hasn't been conclusively proved where the bad food came from.

Were the 10 all part of a social/tour group who all ate at the same place on the way to the airport? Or even the night before?

Random strangers on the plane who all ate at the same establishment at the airport?

I find it strange that only 10 are affected if there was tainted food onboard. I would've thought more would be affected.
 
Joined
Oct 10, 2006
Messages
234
Mal said:
But it hasn't been conclusively proved where the bad food came from.

Were the 10 all part of a social/tour group who all ate at the same place on the way to the airport? Or even the night before?

Random strangers on the plane who all ate at the same establishment at the airport?

I find it strange that only 10 are affected if there was tainted food onboard. I would've thought more would be affected.
Maybe Jetstar only had 10 meals in total? Guilty until proven otherwise I say ;)
Besides, I've seen "Flying High", I know what happens when you eat the fish. :mrgreen:

mt
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,798
Flights
My Map
mainly tailfirst said:
Maybe Jetstar only had 10 meals in total? Guilty until proven otherwise I say ;)
Besides, I've seen "Flying High", I know what happens when you eat the fish. :mrgreen:

mt
or maybe they had 10 meals that were unsold from a previous flight :rolleyes: .
 

littl_flier

Active Member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
898
mainly tailfirst said:
Hmm, suddenly I'm not so fussed about not having included meals on that flight! Yours truly and the better half are taking it in Jan, so we shall see how we go 9hrs sans food.
Unless you've already pre-purchased it, try and avoid buying the $25 pack. Buy what you need onboard and don't be afraid to take something on board. The sandwiches/wraps/snacks from airside will be much tastier than the JQ food. Having said that, the prices are quite reasonable depending on what you have. $3 for noodles. (although $15 for a pie was a bit rich).
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
Mal said:
Were the 10 all part of a social/tour group who all ate at the same place on the way to the airport? Or even the night before?

Random strangers on the plane who all ate at the same establishment at the airport?
According to the article they were random strangers.

smh said:
There was also no common linkage between the 10 people that got sick.
Mal said:
I find it strange that only 10 are affected if there was tainted food onboard. I would've thought more would be affected.
Getting off topic here but I think it is possible that only a small percentage of people get sick. Many years ago I went to an RSL club function as part of a large group. The choice was re-heated, undercooked, beef or fish. I chose the beef but a few of the people, not all, that had the fish got sick. I have never seen fish as the choice in that RSL again.

littl_flier said:
The sandwiches/wraps/snacks from airside will be much tastier than the JQ food.
I don't think that is unique to JQ. Most airline food is tasteless and to me has a weird smell. Is that because of the altitude?

I would prefer if the airlines served a baguette/roll rather than the re-heated, served cold, container we get now.
 

Hawkeye

AFF Supporter
Joined
Nov 4, 2006
Messages
397
JohnK said:
Most airline food is tasteless and to me has a weird smell. Is that because of the altitude?

I would prefer if the airlines served a baguette/roll rather than the re-heated, served cold, container we get now.
Wine tastes very different to me in the air. I love Pinot Noir, but find it relatively unpalatable while flying. I tend to prefer heavier styles, like Shiraz, which I rarely drink on the ground ... unless it happens to be Grange, RWT etc.!! (I wish)

I also find most airline bread products inedible - cold and stale generally.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,401
Flights
My Map
Article in todays news indicates that a woman travelling in Star class was the first to complain of stomach pains and that she had refused a meal and other refreshments before becoming ill.

More here: Bug Hits Flyers.
 

codash1099

AFF Supporter
Joined
Aug 2, 2006
Messages
2,605
serfty said:
Article in todays news indicates that a woman travelling in Star class was the first to complain of stomach pains and that she had refused a meal and other refreshments before becoming ill.

More here: Bug Hits Flyers.
Maybe a general malaise at having to fly J* :mrgreen:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,587
Messages
1,883,772
Members
49,485
Latest member
iamolhaaaa
Top