Jetstar flight cancelled on runway - Melb

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambbbam2

Active Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Posts
857
From
Flight cancelled on runway | NEWS.com.au Business

"BUDGET airline JetStar cancelled its first Melbourne to Honolulu flight overnight after a breakdown of an important engine part.

The airline declined to identify the specifics of the problem but said the fault had been spotted during final procedural checks as passengers commenced boarding the flight.

"As part of the Qantas group we don't go into specifics of maintenance," Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said.

"There were some mechanical problems which required a part repair and a fair bit of maintenance overnight."

The 270 passengers on the flight, due to depart at 7.40pm (AEDT), were booked into hotels for the night before flying out early this morning.
 

leny

Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2006
Posts
308
Well, I reckon it was going to happen sooner or later...:!:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
6,419
bambbbam2 said:
From
Flight cancelled on runway | NEWS.com.au Business

"BUDGET airline JetStar cancelled its first Melbourne to Honolulu flight overnight after a breakdown of an important engine part.

The airline declined to identify the specifics of the problem but said the fault had been spotted during final procedural checks as passengers commenced boarding the flight.

"As part of the Qantas group we don't go into specifics of maintenance," Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said.

"There were some mechanical problems which required a part repair and a fair bit of maintenance overnight."

The 270 passengers on the flight, due to depart at 7.40pm (AEDT), were booked into hotels for the night before flying out early this morning.

Hmmm....

Goood reporting; since when did passengers board the aircraft when it was on the runway? If it was spotted whilst the passengers were boarding then the plane was still at the gate

Dave
 

oz_mark

Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 30, 2002
Posts
19,650
Dave Noble said:
Hmmm....

Goood reporting; since when did passengers board the aircraft when it was on the runway? If it was spotted whilst the passengers were boarding then the plane was still at the gate

Dave


I wondered exactly the same thing myself. I was expecting an article about a rejected take off.

On the plus side, they were booked into hotels. Surpised passengers didn't have a whinge about which hotels they were in.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Posts
6,419
oz_mark said:
On the plus side, they were booked into hotels. Surpised passengers didn't have a whinge about which hotels they were in.

Im sure that they enjoyed Formule 1 :)

Dave
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Posts
44,236
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Dave Noble said:
Im sure that they enjoyed Formule 1 :)

Dave
Probably more comfortable for sleeping than those "JetSaver/Flex" seats down the back. :p
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Posts
18,034
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
leny said:
Well, I reckon it was going to happen sooner or later...:!:

Do you wish to expand upon this comment? Would you rather they kept going and had an aborted takeoff or an inflight emergency?

Whilst most of us don't relish JQ, I don't believe they have any safety issues.
 

tuapekastar

Established Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2005
Posts
4,462
Saturday's Melbourne Age had a few paragraphs reporting the incident. Can't find it online to link to but the para that alarmed me somewhat follows:

"Jetstar spokesman Simon Westaway said the 6pm flight, to carry 770 passengers, would take off at 7am today" (bolding mine)

Now I knew it was a budget airline, but that is really packing them in on a 332. :shock:
 

Mal

Enthusiast
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Posts
12,386
Only 90 pax were set to be on the return flight:

starbulletin.com | News | /2006/12/31/

The delayed departure created disruptions for 90 passengers in Honolulu who were booked on the return flight yesterday morning.

Pregellio said 25 of these were rescheduled on a Qantas flight yesterday morning to Sydney, 500 miles northeast of Melbourne, and the remainder were provided with day accommodation until the return flight departed late yesterday, she said.



Now that's lightly loaded....
 

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Posts
560
Yes, I remember Jetstar saying that the "sale" of seats for their first International flights was a huge success. Obviously the cheap sale tickets were, but the normal priced ones didn't sell. Thus 60%+ seats empty !!
 

caggs

Junior Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2006
Posts
29
garyjohn951 said:
Yes, I remember Jetstar saying that the "sale" of seats for their first International flights was a huge success. Obviously the cheap sale tickets were, but the normal priced ones didn't sell. Thus 60%+ seats empty !!

I hadf friends on the return flight, it left 13 hours late and only had 50 or so people on the plan. They were put up in a nice hotel and had plenty of room on the flight to spread out.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Posts
1,877
caggs said:
I hadf friends on the return flight, it left 13 hours late and only had 50 or so people on the plan. They were put up in a nice hotel and had plenty of room on the flight to spread out.
:shock: Gee... they wouldn't want to be running a service this poorly patronised for too long.
 
Possibly the best subscription service on the planet, designed specially by whisky lovers for whisky lovers. Join the club to grow your collection and drink great whisky.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

garyjohn951

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2006
Posts
560
Don't worry, it will be successful in the long run, QF will close down all own flights on the same routes, thus there will be no choice but Jetstar.
 

straitman

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Posts
18,034
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Gold
garyjohn951 said:
Don't worry, it will be successful in the long run, QF will close down all own flights on the same routes, thus there will be no choice but Jetstar.

Still only works if people use the service. A lot of the savvy people here would probably 'walk' to the opposition. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top