Jetstar: beachhead or bunk? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Jetstar: beachhead or bunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
bizjournals.com said:
Jetstar: beachhead or bunk?

Pacific Business News (Honolulu) - 8:58 PM HAST Thursday

Jetstar, which this week announced introductory fares for its coming service to Hawaii, got great press Down Under, less so up here.

"Jetstar in Honolulu stampede," read the headline in the Australian. "The low-cost carrier caused another fare stampede yesterday as it offered $249 one-way fares to Honolulu between February and May to mark the December start of its new U.S. services."

The newspaper said Jetstar "intends to use Honolulu as a beachhead to build its brand in preparation for services to the West Coast of the U.S. once it takes delivery of long-range 787s in 2008."

KHNL, however, reported that viewers called saying they couldn't find a ticket on the company Web site at the prices quoted in Honolulu. The television station reported that it also failed at that attempt.

Jetstar will operate three times weekly between Sydney and Honolulu and twice more between Melbourne and Honolulu, beginning on the last week of December. Jetstar is owned by Qantas Airways, which already serves the corridor. Also flying between Hawaii and Australia are Hawaiian Airlines and Air Canada.

Source...
Did anyone here manage to get one of the low cost tickets to HNL?
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,278
Flights
My Map
Yada Yada said:
Did anyone here manage to get one of the low cost tickets to HNL?
Someone on FT reported success. Unfortunately the site was so overloaded, it was impossible to use for most. By the time many regained access, the cheap tickets were sold out.
 

BiziBB

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
185
Hi,
Thanks to a note on a thread here, several people were able to get tickets the first morning the AUD$44 (+$179 surcharges/taxes each sector) tix were on offer, at least until 9AM of the first sale day.

For a SYD-HNL RTN for 2 people, it worked out at under $911, including a $16 CC surcharge. That's without any extras sold on-board.

On the seat allocation maps, before 9AM there was plenty of available seats mapped. I think we reserved row 29/30 (had to re-do the purchase as my first go was 'sold' before QF accepted the card payment).

Hope this helps.
BB
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
BiziBB said:
For a SYD-HNL RTN for 2 people, it worked out at under $911, including a $16 CC surcharge. That's without any extras sold on-board.
That's a darn good price and hard to beat.
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,256
Flights
My Map
The sale was first advertised here and/or Flyertalk around midnight I believe.

Plenty of time to scope and reserve tickets if you had that hankering and were awake :D

I looked, but couldn't find a good enough special to go. No FF points bites for the el cheapo ticket, and until some time that morning only SYD and MEL departures were being offered.

I told workmates about the deal before the emails came out from jetstar, but suprisingly there was little interest.

(BTW, you can often get super deals to HNL from Qantas and Hawaiian airlines - especially if you prepay AU$400 or so in hotel etc. The prices are only about $600 each or so).l
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
Mal said:
The sale was first advertised here and/or Flyertalk around midnight I believe.

Plenty of time to scope and reserve tickets if you had that hankering and were awake :D

I looked, but couldn't find a good enough special to go. No FF points bites for the el cheapo ticket, and until some time that morning only SYD and MEL departures were being offered.

I told workmates about the deal before the emails came out from jetstar, but suprisingly there was little interest.

(BTW, you can often get super deals to HNL from Qantas and Hawaiian airlines - especially if you prepay AU$400 or so in hotel etc. The prices are only about $600 each or so).l
Exactly right, you can nearly always get very cheap fares on QF by going through Qantas hols. The Jetstar thing is a promotional gimmick and great for the few who snapped up the cheapies. The real issue is the long range pricing and my bet is that QF dumps the route around April next year (hope not & discussed ad nauseum elsewhere here) and at that time the JQ fares will be pretty close to existing discounted QF fares. We shall see.
 

adrian

Member
Joined
Jul 17, 2006
Messages
392
Yada Yada said:
That's a darn good price and hard to beat.
I was "fortunate" to be at work at 5am that morning, and looking on the smh.com website, noticed their article about Jetstar cheapo flights to HNL. So I went to the Jetstar website an put in a few random dates for 2 people, and almost every flight was showing availability at $44 plus surcharges, so I really think that they had a lot of seats available. I knew my sister wanted to go to HNL with her family so I called her and told her - she wasn't exactly thrilled about the 6am phonecall, but she managed to pickup 4 seats during the April school holidays for around $1800. She finished booking around 7.30am I think. I told another friend who looked around 9am, and there they couldn't find anything. I guess my sister and her family were lucky I had to work early that day!! As for me - I'm getting a bit too spoilt, and will probably add it on to a J class ATW in the next few months (provided Qantas still fly there by there then!!!)
 

sydney_kings

Junior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
46
I ended up booking two tickets from Sydney.
About $900 in total inclusive of taxes/fuel surcharges.

Hawaii Airlines do offer $600 fares but that's WITHOUT taxes, so the fair ends up being approx $900 per person.

I was quite fortunate to have a surf around late that night - found out about 11pm - investigated some travel plans and booked at about 1am :)
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
maninblack said:
Exactly right, you can nearly always get very cheap fares on QF by going through Qantas hols. The Jetstar thing is a promotional gimmick and great for the few who snapped up the cheapies.
Jetstar non sale fares for SYD-HNL return using random dates in May 2007 cost ~$1140 for days with direct flights or ~$1440 on days with flights via MEL, without food, pillow or headset.

QF fares, assuming that QF still operate the route, for the same week are ~$1420 with fully inclusive service, SC's and FF points.

Why choose a LCC at those prices?
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,278
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
... Why choose a LCC at those prices?
Interestingly, if you spend ~$2200 on starclass fares; you'll get min 140SC's each way. Sort of like J creadits for premium WHY travel.
 

jakeseven7

Active Member
Joined
Sep 9, 2005
Messages
617
serfty said:
Interestingly, if you spend ~$2200 on starclass fares; you'll get min 140SC's each way. Sort of like J creadits for premium WHY travel.
Hmmm I smell some potential JQ Starclass status runs..
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
serfty said:
Interestingly, if you spend ~$2200 on starclass fares; you'll get min 140SC's each way. Sort of like J creadits for premium WHY travel.
Good point! But it's still Jetstar. :(

In a place not too far from here for ~$2200 one can get 600 SC's in business class. ;) Exactly halfway to re-qualifying platinum.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,278
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
Good point! But it's still Jetstar. :(

In a place not too far from here for ~$2200 one can get 600 SC's in business class. ;) Exactly halfway to re-qualifying platinum.
You can get from Syd to that place for 60K QFF points or $1500 on QF WHY. On JQ you can get there for about $1950 earning 320 SC's on the return.

ATM Starclass seems a reasonable SC return for the price. (IMO)
 
Last edited:

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,109
serfty said:
You can get from Syd to that place for 60K QFF points or $1500 on QF WHY. On JQ you can get there for about $1950 earning 320 SC's on the return.

ATM Starclass seems a reasonable SC return for the price. (IMO)
Actually getting to that place from SYD and buying the airfare from the other place costs ~$1400 for 210 SC's plus one short business class return flight from that place to the other place for a total cost of ~$1850 earning 330 SC's.

I do agree with you though that JQ Starclass is very good value, the numbers do not lie. The only problem is that you have to fly JQ! I will wait and see how you get on with your JQ Starclass flight to that place later on this year.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
I do agree with you though that JQ Starclass is very good value, the numbers do not lie. The only problem is that you have to fly JQ!
What is the problem with flying JQ if you are in Starclass? It seems to be quite a reasonable premium economy product - apart from the over-use of the colour orange :mad: .
 

maninblack

Established Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2006
Messages
2,303
Check out the Jetstar website. The intnl schedule pdf has not been updated in weeks so HNL still isn't on it, (and perhaps other info) the photo gallery has not got a new image since 2004, the starclass page doesn't show a single picture of the product or the A330's, the route map doesn't show the intnl destinations and when you do a flight search and it comes up with no availability, it doesn't show the next available date, leaving you to keep trying day be day until a flight appears.

Budget airline, budget website. Who designs and maintains this garbage?
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,796
Flights
My Map
maninblack said:
Check out the Jetstar website. The intnl schedule pdf has not been updated in weeks so HNL still isn't on it, (and perhaps other info) the photo gallery has not got a new image since 2004, the starclass page doesn't show a single picture of the product or the A330's, the route map doesn't show the intnl destinations and when you do a flight search and it comes up with no availability, it doesn't show the next available date, leaving you to keep trying day be day until a flight appears.

Budget airline, budget website. Who designs and maintains this garbage?
I guess they have to keep the cost down somehow. Perhaps they are going to implement a user-pays approach to the web site. You can pay $2 to view a picture of Starclass, $1.50 for an up-to-date route map, and $3 to view the conditions of carriage. A package deal of all downloadable information will cost $4.95 (plus GST and internet bandwidth surcharge).

Perhaps I should not give them any ideas :shock: .

At least I can confirm that JQ's web site is not included in my Favourites folder :cool: .
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,298
Messages
1,875,184
Members
49,187
Latest member
jyc_chan10
Top