Is there Lifetime Platinum on QF?

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by bambbbam2, Jul 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    I know there is L Silver and L Gold, but is there a L Platinum?:confused:

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Certain there is no published QF LT WP level.

The two published levels are mentioned here: Lifetime Recognition

3. To reach LT WP, I think you would have to continually fly around and around in ever decreasing circles, finally disappearing... to get enough SCs to get to this status. Any speculation on what you would have to do to be LT CL?

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Perhaps become an ex-Prime Minister :confused:.

5. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    The obvious answer is yes there is lifetime platinum (and lifetime CL). You just have to die while holding the platinum (or CL) status.

6. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    or for Life-time Platinum, all you have to do is earn 1200 SC's each year (after an initial year earning 1400 SCs).

7. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    I think you're being optimistic that the qualification requirements won't be enhanced.

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Either that or my life expectancy is going to be "enhanced" :shock:.

9. bambbbam2

bambbbam2 Active Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Perth, WA
    I will pay that answer! :D

Or wouldn't that be *death*time Status?

10. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    In the period immediately before death you had Platinum (or CL) status, and held it until death. Ergo in that period status was lifetime.

11. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    i dare someone to put their lifetime status on their tombstone ...

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    And will they put your status on hold until reincarnation?

13. rhjames

rhjames Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Sydney
    I am lifetime gold with Qantas and wondering if there is any incentive for me to keep flying Qantas. Perhaps it's time to start building status with another airline. Let me know if you hear anything about lifetime Pt or similar.

14. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map

AA perhaps? :)

15. rhjames

rhjames Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Sydney
    AA perhaps?

With Qantas Pt/gold I already get all the benefits of AA. Perhaps one of the Asian airlines. Cathay 1st class was great last time I flew them - I was the only one in that class. I would welcome any recommendations.

16. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    You might get the F check-in, lounge access etc, but for my situation, I get a load more benefits from AA miles than I get from QF FF points. My QF Lifetime Gold (and current QF Platinum) status helps with waitlisted QF upgrades etc, but I get better value in earning AA miles than QF points through flying, and way better value in burning AA miles compared with burning QF points.

So I keep my credit card points for Qantas for the QF flight upgrades, and my AA miles for flight rewards. It works ouot best for me.

17. rhjames

rhjames Member

Jun 5, 2006
    Sydney
    Thanks for this - I'll check where AA flys to. Qantas FF point get me to America, Europe Asia and Africa fairly well.

18. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #18 serfty, Aug 14, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
    Return awrd seat on QF, say MEL-LAX is 96,000 Qantas frequent Flyer points + AUD299 in +++.

To get the SAME seats on QF Flight via AAdvantage is 75,000 AAdvantage miles + ~AUD280*

Not Well: Both these booking could conceivably use the same available seats from the award 'bucket'?

* (if the new USD90 Pacific "FUEL SURCHARGE/WAR INSURANCE" for ONE WAY AA TRANSPACIFIC FLTS is now payable.

19. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Where AA flies is irrelevant. You can use AA miles on QF flights and vice versa. That is one of the benefits of an alliance (or even non-alliance FFP partners).

20. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    AA miles will get you to all the same places as QF points, but in nearly all cases for a lot less points/miles, especially in business or first class.

For example, my last AA redemption is for 3 x business class seats BNE-MEL-AKL-MEL-BNE. With Qantas that would have cost 300,000 QF FF points + $710 in taxes and fines. Using AA miles for the exact same flights cost me 105,000 AA miles + $148 in taxes (no fuel fines with AA reward flights).

The only real difference is that as a QF Platinum or Gold FF member you get access to greater availability for economy class reward flights, while AA Platinum and Exec Platinum members get more availability on BA economy award flights. They have the same availability in business and first class.