Is there a way to fly first class from Australia to Japan using AA points? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Is there a way to fly first class from Australia to Japan using AA points?

ProggerPete

I think you used to be able to get first class on Qantas to HKG from SYD and then Cathay Pacific from there. I can't find any first class flights with Qantas anywhere at the moment though. Any suggestions?

sudoer

Established Member
Flights
My Map
I think you used to be able to get first class on Qantas to HKG from SYD and then Cathay Pacific from there. I can't find any first class flights with Qantas anywhere at the moment though. Any suggestions?
Qantas usually only operates the A380 to HKG over the summer, but given everything that's going on at the moment it remains to be see whether they'll do the same this year.

Your best option is probably JAL, who've scheduled the 777-300ER on JL51/52 HND-SYD-HND from 2nd September this year. Again a big caveat that this may change after covid19.

Dr Ralph

Enthusiast
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Is your heading 'Is there a way to fly first class from Australia to Japan using AA points?' a typo? Should it be 'Is there a way to fly first class from Australia using points?

Matt_01

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum 1
Virgin
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Depends on how far out of the way you want to go to get to Japan assuming you are after OW - QR, BA and QF all fly F out of AU but not direct to JP. JL recommences direct AU-JP travel from Sep 20.

drron

Enthusiast
You will be very lucky now to find F awards on JAL using AA points.Possibly about 18 months ago JAL changed the timing of releasing award seats.It was at 330 days just like AA.I found JAL F awards then easy to find using my AA points.
However JAL now release their award seats ~ 360 days out.Very rare to see JAL F award seats left at 330 days when they become available on AA.
Best for me now is using QF or BA for JAL F awards.

twiningb

I have used AA points for JL flights in J before, and it was very good value (SYD-NRT one-way 40k per person plus negligible fees/taxes, for what would have been a $4k+ per person roundtrip). I'm looking at something in the far future now, and undoubtedly these are unusual times, but JL long-haul J looks very doable with AA miles. But F might be a bridge too far.

ProggerPete

Cheers for the input guys. The points that are expiring are actually krisflyer miles. I've topped up enough to book return business and will sit on my aa miles till another day.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fwh