Is there a credit card that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertoman

Could some learned person out there tell me if there is a credit card that offers protection ( IN AUSTRALIA ) so that you dont have to cop a $20 "damage waiver" per day when you hire a car.

I have had a quick look and most of the credit card offerings in AUS seem to only cover you when abroad.

Regards

Bertoman.

I think the ANZ Gold Card does this. One of its features is

Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess Cover

In addition to Auto 24, there’s also Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess Cover, which helps make hiring a car more affordable. As an ANZ Auto Assist member, you're automatically covered for Rental Vehicle Insurance Excess Cover when you hire a car from a major rental company. This represents a saving of around $20 per day per car hired, not to mention a significant reduction in the total amount of excess payable in the event you have an accident.

Just be careful when relying on any travel insurance policy and using rental cars.Most australian policies have an exclusion clause when travelling in a mechanically propelled device and yes that does include rental cars when I have rung and asked.
It really does have to be spelled out and it looks like the ANZ card does that.

Thanks heaps for your feedback guys ... is the ANZ the only one !

I'm not particulalary fond of gold cards and their high limits ...

( my better half still doesnt understand that you have to pay it pack )

so ..in a nutshell any other cards that offer same as ANZ with lower credit limits.

Thanks again

bertoman

Also note that many (possibly all but I have not researched) policies have a requirement that you must pay the rental car company any options they have to reduce the amount of excess.

So if the rental car company has a standard excess of $1500, and they offer to reduce that excess to $300 if you pay $20/day, you have to take this option of your travel insurance policy will not cover the $1500 excess - they will only cover the $300 excess if you have paid to reduce it to that amount.

Check the policy fine print. Do your research. Don't rely on word of mouth or internet postings as your definitive answer for things that could come back to cost you lots of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Staff online

Back