Is credit card churning coming to an end?

Withnail & I

I see that the ANZ Rewards Black Credit Card now has the following in its T&Cs:

"Offer available to new and approved applicants who apply for an ANZ Rewards Black Credit Card and is limited to one offer per applicant.

Does this clause mean we can only ever have one such card i.e. we can’t apply again even after the standard 12 month wait period expires?

Or does it just mean we can't do it more than once in the offer period, which is usually less than 12 months? If so, this would seem to be a redundant clause as there is a separate clause in the T&Cs that prevent bonus points being issued to card holders who have held such cards within 12 months.

No.

Read to the bottom of the paragraph: 'You are not eligible for this offer if you currently hold or have held an ANZ Rewards credit card in the last 12 months.'
Thanks. I did read that second part of the clause (I referred to it in the last sentence of my OP). However, on one reading of the entire clause it’s possible that I am not allowed this particular Rewards Black card if either of the following have occurred:

1) I have held any type of ANZ Rewards credit card in the last 12 months; or

2) I have held this particular Rewards Black card at any time

I applied for this card in September and was also concerned after reading that clause a couple of weeks later. However, I reasoned that the offer I took up this time was different to the previous Rewards Black Card offer I signed up for - 180k pts plus $150 back vs 180k pts with $0 annual fee 1st year - and was prepared argue/complain on that basis. I received the $150 back 10 days ago and the 180k bonus pts on Friday so initial worry seems to have been for nothing.

I’m not even sure if it’s a new clause that means what I fear, or if it was always there and I just noticed it 🤷‍♂️

It would be uncommercial for them to just limit someone to one credit card their whole lifetime. That would significantly limit their revenue / addressable market.

Some churn is useful. They have introduced staggered points reward across multiple years now which I think is helping their cause to some extent.

Does this clause mean we can only ever have one such card i.e. we can’t apply again even after the standard 12 month wait period expires?
No. And the clause isn't new or unique to ANZ.

Whilst the game is always changing, churning is not coming to an end.
Post automatically merged:

What if you hold one as an additional card holder (ie not the primary)
That's irrelevant.

Just checking - is it still the case that when they say 'You are not eligible for this offer if you currently hold or have held an ANZ Rewards credit card in the last 12 months', this means a card that earns points in the ANZ Rewards program, and not an ANZ Frequent Flyer credit card?

To simplify this question - I had an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card until about a month ago. If I now take out an ANZ Rewards Black card, am I eligible for bonus points?

Just checking - is it still the case that when they say 'You are not eligible for this offer if you currently hold or have held an ANZ Rewards credit card in the last 12 months', this means a card that earns points in the ANZ Rewards program, and not an ANZ Frequent Flyer credit card?

To simplify this question - I had an ANZ Frequent Flyer Black card until about a month ago. If I now take out an ANZ Rewards Black card, am I eligible for bonus points?
Yes

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back