Is Citi Plus still the best option for overseas cash?

twiningb

Established Member
Is Citi Plus still the best option for overseas cash? Obviously I haven't done a lot of international travel since 2019.

If I have to open some other account it might be time to get started, since we depart in five weeks.

(I'm set for FX-fee-free purchases, with a US Amex Gold backed with a Coles Rewards Mastercard and a Bundll account which charges to my Dragon Visa.)

ING is still our go to cash card. Done last month‘s and this month’s hoops and jumps ready for UK next week. We both have ING Savings Maximiser accounts, so the same hoops and jumps give us bonus interest each month. Not too difficult at all to maintain.

I‘m not too concerned about the new 5 transaction per month limit. I’m expecting less cash transactions and more tapping (cue 28° MC for international fee free purchase).

Went to refamiliarise myself with the hoops required for ING, and yeah, nuh, I'm not making a single purchase transaction on a debit card when credit cards are available.

Went to refamiliarise myself with the hoops required for ING, and yeah, nuh, I'm not making a single purchase transaction on a debit card when credit cards are available.
The easiest / quickest way to do 5 transactions is to go to self checkout at say Woolies / Coles and do 5x $1 transactions. Don't forget you also need to deposit $1000 too.

Good timing. I checked out our Citibank cards and they were out of date. They'd been sent to an old address. I checked out ING and at the time there was a clause that made me stop. Must check it out again.

The easiest / quickest way to do 5 transactions is to go to self checkout at say Woolies / Coles and do 5x $1 transactions. Don't forget you also need to deposit $1000 too.
I think the smallest I’ve done was $0.46 for some mushrooms! But the regular Coles/Woolies brand 1L or 2L milk is a regular favourite.

Also, the $1k per month can leave as soon as it arrives (if that concerns peeps).

Withdrew 5 times from an atm in Thailand recently, each time I withdrew the ATM operator charged me 220 baht (~$9), these were all rebated by ING saving me $45. 5 tranactions and depositing $1000 is a fairly small price to pay. If I had used the citibank debit, there are 3 locations in Thailand (Bangkok) where I could've gotten a fee free atm withdrawal (all Citibank atms) which wouldn't have helped since I was in coughet...

I think the smallest I’ve done was $0.46 for some mushrooms! But the regular Coles/Woolies brand 1L or 2L milk is a regular favourite.

You simply buy anything totalling $5.00 or more. Then choose "split payments" or the like. For the first 5 split payments you simply allocate $1.00 to it.

Thanks - I had a quick look and thought it was a credit card. Cheers
The Citibank card is the same. Looks like MasterCard but it's a debit card. I have 59 days to sort it.

Does ING charge a % of the $ amount drawn? And are their exchange rates ok? Also the $1000 - it seems that needs to be done every month?

Last edited:

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back