International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed early? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed early?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aus_flyer

Established Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,361
I know that following the changes they state that "you will be advised at the airport if your upgrade has been successful" but I was wondering if anyone has had their confirmed earlier?

I imagine you can tell when you view your booking online.

Thanks
 

cssaus

Active Member
Joined
Dec 13, 2004
Messages
923
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

odoherty said:
I know that following the changes they state that "you will be advised at the airport if your upgrade has been successful" but I was wondering if anyone has had their confirmed earlier?

Thanks
Flying UA it happens to me all the time. I get an email advising of my upgrade as well as a text message to my phone.

On a recent return flt back from NYC I got the text message on my phone as I was in the car on the way to the airport.

Great system.
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

cssaus said:
odoherty said:
I know that following the changes they state that "you will be advised at the airport if your upgrade has been successful" but I was wondering if anyone has had their confirmed earlier?

Thanks
Flying UA it happens to me all the time.
Ummmm, this is the Qantas Frequent Flyer forum, perhaps you could enlighten us as to how your UA expereinces are relevant to those of us seeking Qantas upgrades....

(remainder snipped)

Dave
 

chrisb

Active Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
788
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

odoherty said:
I know that following the changes they state that "you will be advised at the airport if your upgrade has been successful" but I was wondering if anyone has had their confirmed earlier?

I imagine you can tell when you view your booking online.
Yes, My Travel agent called me at about 5pm the day before a 9.45am departuture on SYD-LAX to tell me the upgrade had cleared. (Lord knows why she found out - maybe she was checking something else)

Then, checking online in the itinerary showed it, and the "upgrade" tab in the booking showed "confirmed", and viewtrip.com had it as business.

This was under the new post may 25 "waitlist only" rules.

Chrisb.
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
366
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

chrisb said:
Yes, My Travel agent called me at about 5pm the day before a 9.45am departuture on SYD-LAX to tell me the upgrade had cleared. (Lord knows why she found out - maybe she was checking something else)

...

This was under the new post may 25 "waitlist only" rules.
That's interesting. I've got a few international sectors waitlisted under the old "pre-May 25" rules and so I wonder how that will be handled. I'm only a lowly QFF Silver - was your status higher, chrisb?
 

chrisb

Active Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
788
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

mick said:
That's interesting. I've got a few international sectors waitlisted under the old "pre-May 25" rules and so I wonder how that will be handled. I'm only a lowly QFF Silver - was your status higher, chrisb?
Nope, Lowly silver. Trust me, I was completely shocked when the upgrade came through. :shock:

Chrisb.
 

freaky

Junior Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2005
Messages
17
The process for post May 25 is a pain, but it should be possible to find out before checking in.

The process of upgrading starts 24 hours prior to flight departure. Any time up until 3 hours prior, your points/credits will be logged and the seat awarded. So, in theory, you could find out from a consultant before you check in.

Good luck with that though. Most consultants will just refer you to check-in regardless. They've been told to do so.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,411
Flights
My Map
freaky said:
The process for post May 25 is a pain, but it should be possible to find out before checking in.

The process of upgrading starts 24 hours prior to flight departure. Any time up until 3 hours prior, your points/credits will be logged and the seat awarded. So, in theory, you could find out from a consultant before you check in.

Good luck with that though. Most consultants will just refer you to check-in regardless. They've been told to do so.
You could try using Amadeus' "Check My Trip" some 6 hours beforehand. From some recent posts I have seen this can indicate your upgrade success/failure with the way it diplays the information. (Changes in information from what was previously displayed for your original confirmed WHY booking?).

I would find it hard to test this myself as 90% of my recent international travel has been on 'unupgradeable' fares.
 

mick

Member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
366
Re: International Upgrades - has anyone had one confirmed ea

chrisb said:
mick said:
That's interesting. I've got a few international sectors waitlisted under the old "pre-May 25" rules and so I wonder how that will be handled. I'm only a lowly QFF Silver - was your status higher, chrisb?
Nope, Lowly silver. Trust me, I was completely shocked when the upgrade came through. :shock:

Chrisb.
I can tell you the same - I was absolutely stoked to find on 1 July the SYD/LAX sector (70,000 pts) and the LAX/JFK sector (2 SC) I was waitlisted in business for, both cleared and were viewable on Amadeus about six hours beforehand.

Unfortunately, the waitlist on the LHR/SYD sector on 31 July didn't clear and so I had to make do in seat 71A instead... :roll:


Cheers, mick.
 

raccoon111

Junior Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2005
Messages
48
Upgrades

Further on to the topic about upgrades, do successful upgrades from economy to business entitle me to lounge access, priority immigration, and priority tagged baggage?

Thanks!
 

thadocta

Active Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2003
Messages
757
Yes, yes and yes. You will get all of the perks for the cabin you will be flying in (for that sector - you will not get lounge access in SYD if you are Y from SYD to SIN and J from SIN to LHR, for example).

Dave
 

chrisb

Active Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2005
Messages
788
thadocta said:
Yes, yes and yes. You will get all of the perks for the cabin you will be flying in (for that sector - you will not get lounge access in SYD if you are Y from SYD to SIN and J from SIN to LHR, for example).
Dave
I wouldn't always trust that - I've never had any issues with lounge access domestically when flying J out of the country on an upgrade. (ie: access to PER QC when going PER-SYD(Y) and then SYD-LAX(J))

It's always worth a go! :)

Chrisb.
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,799
Flights
My Map
Re: Upgrades

raccoon111 said:
Further on to the topic about upgrades, do successful upgrades from economy to business entitle me to lounge access, priority immigration, and priority tagged baggage?

Thanks!
No priority immigration in Australia any more based on cabin or FF status. But you will get it in places like LHR if flying in J or F, not matter how you get into that cabin (paid, award, upgrade etc).

Lounge access only on international flights.
 

Karen

Intern
Joined
Mar 4, 2005
Messages
58
Intl upgrades

My husband went to Kaoshin in August and his Hong Kong to SYD sector was confirmed online two days prior, Econ to J upgrade, but not sure of the Econ class.

I check it for him cause he has issues with the internet up there. Then I SMS him if anything has changed. He was pleasantly surprised - esp at getting an upgrade in both directions and getting to use all his outstanding SC's.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,620
Messages
1,884,881
Members
49,502
Latest member
fatherlee
Top