Question - InterContinental Adelaide - can I do this? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question InterContinental Adelaide - can I do this?

Lawlass

Sorry if this is a vague or inappropriate question, but I'm trying to book a hotel in Adelaide for my folks, whose only criteria is a place that is close to public transport and where they can chill in a lobby/courtyard and read and watch the world go by if they are feeling tired.

From my limited Adelaide experience, the Intercontinental is the only place I know of that would be ideal, but it's a bit out of their price range at the standard rate. However, a bit of google-fu gave me a link to book the IHG Adelaide at the F&F rate, which seems to be around $30/night cheaper than the regular "best rate" and just ekes it into their price range.

Can I just book at that rate, or would they require something from my parents at check-in? Or would it stop me anyway if I tried to complete the booking? To be clear: I'm not a family or friend of anyone at IHG, nor even an IHG member.

My other option is to go ahead and book and fib to them about the cost and wear the difference, but I'm a bit worried about them finding out :)

Any advice welcomed, as would be any suggestions for another hotel that fits the criteria. They don't actually need anything as fancy as the Intercontinental (and would probably prefer simpler really)

eric2011

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
What rate are you looking at. If its your parents then perhaps you could look at using the "seniors rate" or the AAA rate if you have Car Club membership

mrs.dr.ron

Established Member
AFF Supporter
We stayed at the Intercontinental last time we were in Adelaide. It was fine. My husband is an IHG member, but also a Hilton and a Marriott member. Why not sign your parent up ? It doesnt matter if they never stay an another IHG property again !

drron

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
The Seniors and AAA rates are usually the same as the prepaid rate but are fully flexible.Being a member saves you ~ $20 on the prepaid rate.
Seniors-over 62.

Lawlass

Thanks all. The "seniors" rate was higher than the "best" rate! The F&F rate was about $30 cheaper (146/night cf 174/night)

VPS

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
if you can do it then go ahead. The other hotels to look at with a foyer are the Hilton (right across the road from the tram and good public transport) or the Playford which is just across the road from the Intercontinental

I booked my brother and SIL in recently because I wanted the nights and they were going to stay there anyway. I always join every rewards program because you normally get something for nothing

Lawlass

if you can do it then go ahead. The other hotels to look at with a foyer are the Hilton (right across the road from the tram and good public transport) or the Playford which is just across the road from the Intercontinental

I booked my brother and SIL in recently because I wanted the nights and they were going to stay there anyway. I always join every rewards program because you normally get something for nothing
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I think the Hilton is within their budget, but I wasn't sure whether it had a similar "people watch, read and chill" space that they are after :)

ETA: just joined IHG. The "best rate" has not changed. Guess I will just go ahead and book it and tell the folks it costs less than it really does. Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Last edited:

cove

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
I stayed at the Intercontinental on IHG points for a Buzz wine tour and I was happy with the hotel.
Fibbing to your parents Lawlass will probably work and getting them a treat is worth it.

VPS

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
On check in your folks will be told how much it is so you could try telling the hotel that it's a surprise and all communications go through to you

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
AFF Supporter
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
They also have a nice lobby bar.
Yes, the Intercon lobby smells of chlorine from the water feature below. Main restaurant is closed most of the week and the lobby bar substitute is very ordinary.

Choose Hilton over Intercon.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeMonday