Incidents with factor of FO not challenging Pilot

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dajop, Apr 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. dajop

dajop Senior Member

Jul 1, 2002
    SIN
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I was having a discussion with one of the global HR people in the company about "courage and candour". She was pointing out that in some cultures it is difficult for subordinates to demonstrate this and challenge their superiors. I vaguely recalled that this has been a factor in a number of aviation incidents with serious consequences, in that First Officers in some cultures tend not to challenge their Captains. IIRC this may have been a factor in the SQ accident in Taiwan a few years ago, is anyone aware of any other incidents where this was a contributing factor, and/or have any references to these?

I promised to follow up with some examples (silly me, creating work for myself) so any assistance would be appreciated!

2. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Active Member

Jan 24, 2007
    Sydney
    Easy, the Tenerife disaster, in which two 747s collided on the runway:
    Tenerife disaster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. QF WP

Jun 20, 2002
    Brisbane
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Twitter:
    Facebook:
    Linkedin:
    Probably a third of the accidents I've seen shown on Air Crash Investigation (on Foxtel's National Geographic channel and now on free-to-air) involve this scenario.

You could look up the NTSB database or FAA database for accidents

4. d15.in.oz

d15.in.oz Member

Nov 28, 2006
    Just wanted to point out that there is a "LCC equivalent to Foxtel", Selectv (selectv.com.au) where I also enjoy watching Air Crash Investigations on NatGeo.