How to redeem Etihad Guest miles for Virgin Australia flights | Page 9 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

How to redeem Etihad Guest miles for Virgin Australia flights

Intern
Quick question, can you book a HBA-SYD biz class flight via MEL (2 sectors) for 13800pts, or can it only be a direct HBA-SYD flight.
I have booked itineraries with Etihad guest miles with 2 sectors previously. One example was BNE-HBA via MEL for 6900 Etihad guest miles (economy).

Coops1

Flights
My Map
I have booked itineraries with Etihad guest miles with 2 sectors previously. One example was BNE-HBA via MEL for 6900 Etihad guest miles (economy).
Cheers. “Why fly direct when you can connect” :). Even with no status, will get a bit of extra flight time, mileage and lounge.

Intern
Cheers. “Why fly direct when you can connect” :). Even with no status, will get a bit of extra flight time, mileage and lounge.
Too true, my choices were as a result of availability, but with lounge and business class, why not. Enjoy!

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
That is interesting; previously I have been told by Etihad that this would be priced as the sum of two sectors. But if you can make it work, go for it!

Intern
That is interesting; previously I have been told by Etihad that this would be priced as the sum of two sectors. But if you can make it work, go for it!
I tried twice and was successful twice. Was surprised the first time, assumed it was normal after the second time. Possibly I got lucky?
To be clear, I am talking about a quick hour or so stop at an airport and on a route that offers direct and is on the Etihad guest chart for VA. Shows up on VA’s website as available as a 2 sector flight.

Coops1

Flights
My Map
Bit more info for those booking Virgin flights via Etihad Guest.
- booking process via phone is approx 15mins, including checking details are correct via email.
- taxes etc, for me at least HBA-SYD return was $39.66 in AUD, so less than the $46 via velocity.
- I immediately updated the booking via virgin website to add my frequent flyer, ensuring better seat selection, no issues at all.
- if travelling with a partner, the booking for me (on the same account points) was done separately, so 30 mins on phone. Not sure another operator could have done it at the same time or not.
- I didn’t do multi sector, so can’t confirm if you can do this on the same nbr of points.

Hope this helps a bit, cheers.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Bit more info for those booking Virgin flights via Etihad Guest.
- booking process via phone is approx 15mins, including checking details are correct via email.
- taxes etc, for me at least HBA-SYD return was $39.66 in AUD, so less than the $46 via velocity.
- I immediately updated the booking via virgin website to add my frequent flyer, ensuring better seat selection, no issues at all.
- if travelling with a partner, the booking for me (on the same account points) was done separately, so 30 mins on phone. Not sure another operator could have done it at the same time or not.
- I didn’t do multi sector, so can’t confirm if you can do this on the same nbr of points.

Hope this helps a bit, cheers.
Interesting on the taxes - this confirms to me that Etihad is not passing on Velocity's carrier charges.

Billt

Flights
My Map
I can confirm that i recently can book 2 sector VA SYD-MEL-HBA in J for 13,800 Etihad points + tax . Thank for all the data point in this thread . Rules said you can't .

nightelves

Another interesting finding. Was able to book Mel-Zqn for 6900 each way even though it's should be 10,900 miles and taxes come to $360 for two people.

Coops1

Flights
My Map
Another interesting finding. Was able to book Mel-Zqn for 6900 each way even though it's should be 10,900 miles and taxes come to $360 for two people.
Yep, talked about earlier in thread. Business class for 13800 each way as well.

It’s due to the mile calculation, similar to HBA-MEL or SYD or BNE all being the same points eg 6900 or 13800 (biz)

Coops1

Flights
My Map
Yeah but the fact is Mel-Zqn is 1336 miles would have thought it'll fall into this banding. Distance is 1,251 - 1,750 miles: 10,900 EY miles (in economy)
Your right, double perk. VA flights MEL-ZQN only started in October last year as well. Wonder if you were just lucky or it’s always bookable.

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Your right, double perk. VA flights MEL-ZQN only started in October last year as well. Wonder if you were just lucky or it’s always bookable.
To be honest, I'm surprised you'd even be able to book MEL-ZQN because it's not a route on their award chart.

Reactions: Oxy

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Yeah it’s not hence the consultant had to check with their work colleagues.
I wonder if this means you can also book other routes which are not listed on the redemption table?

Lots of new routes (i.e. launched in the last ~5 years) are not listed, e.g. MEL-LAX, MEL-HKG, SYD-HKG, NTL-AKL, HBA-PER, PHE-DPS...) and I had been under the impression you couldn't book these using Etihad miles.

nightelves

I wonder if this means you can also book other routes which are not listed on the redemption table?

Lots of new routes (i.e. launched in the last ~5 years) are not listed, e.g. MEL-LAX, MEL-HKG, SYD-HKG, NTL-AKL, HBA-PER, PHE-DPS...) and I had been under the impression you couldn't book these using Etihad miles.
For me the agent checked to see if there were seats available on Velocity’s inventory and then proceed to book it. I think she also assumed Mel-Zqn was the same distance as Syd-Zqn hence why it was quoted as 6,900 points.

nightelves

You can always call up and quote the route and mentioned that it’s available for booking via Velocity.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flips_james