How to redeem Etihad Guest miles for Virgin Australia flights | Page 8 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

How to redeem Etihad Guest miles for Virgin Australia flights

Billt

Flights
My Map
Call EY and book 3 ticket SYD-ZQN on VA163 . Agent calculate the tax and come back with total amount ~ $120 per person , while it correct for Adult , agent refuse to discount $60 passenger tax for 2 x child ticket saying their ticket will be treat as adult

Anyone here have successfully redeem this award with lower tax for child ticket ?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
Call EY and book 3 ticket SYD-ZQN on VA163 . Agent calculate the tax and come back with total amount ~ $120 per person , while it correct for Adult , agent refuse to discount $60 passenger tax for 2 x child ticket saying their ticket will be treat as adult

Anyone here have successfully redeem this award with lower tax for child ticket ?
I guess you can only try HUACA. Children under 12 aren't charged the $60 departure tax (by the government, anyway).

N860CR

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Very efficient service doing this tonight. Had some miles about to expire so just used them for SYD-ADL-SYD in J. Called first as me for my account and the operator was all over it. All done in 10 minutes. Called back 15 minutes later pretending to be my partner to book from his account and got the same lady who was equally all over it.... but clearly knew I was pulling a bit of a fast one. Helped that she remembered the name and details though.

Intern
Any thoughts on sending a decent balance to Etihad Guest from Amex (prior to devaluation). This has been by far my most used Amex points to date and would certainly use them within the 2 year expiry. My main concerns are any uncertainty with the Etihad Guest program due to financial troubles and the potential of program changes (in particular to the virgin partnership). I’m thinking it may be worth the risk from the value you get. Also given my velocity balance is sufficient for my travel in the foreseeable future and Asia Miles/KK don’t have anything that suits my travel plans in the near future given their expiry.

Oxy

Flights
My Map
I think you've answered your own question haha. All programs are subject to changes anytime, although you could argue Etihad are more likely than the others you mentioned as I think there's was last done longer ago.
Have you got a plan B for EY miles if they do devalue their VA redemptions?

Intern
I think you've answered your own question haha. All programs are subject to changes anytime, although you could argue Etihad are more likely than the others you mentioned as I think there's was last done longer ago.
Have you got a plan B for EY miles if they do devalue their VA redemptions?
Cheers. I sort of did answer the question, but unsure mainly due to their current financial troubles sending them into receivership. I really have no idea however if this is likely or not. No real plan b if VA devalues as the partners sort of fall into the same category of no plans that suit their use within expiry period, so would probably be used as devalued VA or if absolute worst happened, gift cards. If they gave warning of a devaluation it would be ok though. Financial troubles probabaly the biggest concern, but tough to have much foresight on this.

Ausbt

Established Member
AFF Supporter
I had a lazy 7,600 in mine and my wife's account, as a result of a Garuda J flight. Managed to use them on a SYD-HTI return, redeeming a credit card flight for the second pax. Been a while since I've been up to Hammo so looking forward to it. The ZQN redemption though is a really good deal.

Reactions: Oxy

Intern
Agreed,
I had a lazy 7,600 in mine and my wife's account, as a result of a Garuda J flight. Managed to use them on a SYD-HTI return, redeeming a credit card flight for the second pax. Been a while since I've been up to Hammo so looking forward to it. The ZQN redemption though is a really good deal.
Agreed. I’ve had great value in the last few years. Syd-zqn (a couple of times), bne-hba, Syd-cns, Syd-ayq. That’s the main reason I am keen to transfer all my soon to be devalued Amex points there, if they were to be safe there...

Oxy

Flights
My Map
Agreed,
That’s the main reason I am keen to transfer all my soon to be devalued Amex points there, if they were to be safe there...
Even if they devaule, I doubt it will be 50% like amex are about to do across the board.
Could have worse problems. Like hardly any points to worry about being devalued. (Me )

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
Good question, I am facing a similar question for myself actually...got a few ideas of what I could do with the points before the devaluation but quite difficult to actually decide.

Intern
Good question, I am facing a similar question for myself actually...got a few ideas of what I could do with the points before the devaluation but quite difficult to actually decide.
I know your feeling. Changed my mind a few times since the announcement.

Coops1

Flights
My Map
Re SYD-ZQN. Didn’t realise this was a good option. What is the mile cost and taxes for economy and business? TIA. Cheers

Billt

Flights
My Map
Re SYD-ZQN. Didn’t realise this was a good option. What is the mile cost and taxes for economy and business? TIA. Cheers
SYD-ZQN : 6900 for Y and 13800 for Business plus ~ $120 AUD tax .
ZQN-SYD : same miles but the tax is cheaper ~ $60 AUD tax .

borism5

Does anyone know if Etihad is now charging VA "carrier charge" (introduced this year) as a part of the taxes?

Mattg

AFF Supporter
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
fees are roughly the same as VA's - roughly as they are priced in Emirates currency - dirhams?
This is not correct, the taxes are charged in the local currency of the origin on the ticket.

Must...Fly!

Established Member
AFF Supporter
This is not correct, the taxes are charged in the local currency of the origin on the ticket.
You can asked to be charged in another currency and they will convert for you - but really no point.

borism5

fees are roughly the same as VA's - roughly as they are priced in Emirates currency - dirhams?
You've done it recently. So they would pass on the newly introduced $50 carrier charge on business class redemption to Pacific Islands?

Coops1

Flights
My Map
Quick question, can you book a HBA-SYD biz class flight via MEL (2 sectors) for 13800pts, or can it only be a direct HBA-SYD flight.

AFF on Air Podcast

• “Hidden City” Court Case – AIR022
    Sat, 19 Oct 2019 09:30:46 AEDT
      Earlier this year, German airline Lufthansa tried to sue a passenger that exploited the loophole of hidden-city ticketing by skipping the last flight on their ticket. This ...
  • Summer in Europe – AIR021
    Sat, 05 Oct 2019 17:28:53 AEST
      Qantas and Virgin Australia are fighting over two rare and lucrative new landing slots for Tokyo's Haneda Airport. Meanwhile, four European airlines have gone bankrupt in ...
  • Are Loyalty Programs a Scam? – AIR020
    Sat, 21 Sep 2019 08:36:18 AEST
      The ACCC recently released a damning draft report into Australian loyalty schemes, calling out practices that it says may shock consumers and putting loyalty program opera ...
  • Air Chathams – AIR019
    Sat, 07 Sep 2019 16:41:06 AEST
      With less than two weeks until the upcoming Qantas Frequent Flyer changes, now is the time to make any last-minute Classic Flight Reward bookings! In this episode, Matt ch ...
  • Project Sunrise – AIR018
    Sat, 24 Aug 2019 16:12:31 AEST
      Later this year, Qantas will decide which aircraft it will use to operate non-stop flights from the east coast of Australia to London and New York - a feat it aims to achi ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaybeMonday