How long has Amex beeing requiring 1 point Amex =1/2 airline mile?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by maxpress, Aug 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. maxpress

maxpress Newbie

Aug 12, 2006
    How long has AMEX been converting their full point to a 1/2 airline mile/point? Last year I flew to Paris on Amex 1 point = 1 airline mile/point!
    Seems the credit cards are lessening their value week by week to me!

2. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    WHile it is true that the rewards programs have diminished in value and continue to do so, I don't think the conversion rates from Amex to airline frequent flyer schemes have changed recently. However, for some time the conversion rate has varied depending on which frequent flyer scheme you are transferring the points to. For example, Qantas transfers at a 1:1 rate, whereas Singapore Airlines transfers at a 2:1 rate. I am not aware that these rates have changed recently.

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I think Singapore, Thai and Cathay are only recent frequent flyer partners of Amex. Originally the only frequent flyer programs you could transfer Amex points to was QF and MH. So I think the 2:1 transfer ratio to these airlines is generous.

4. HardieBoys

HardieBoys Member

Sep 28, 2003
    with the American Express charge cards, $1 spent is 1 membership rewards point, which can be transferred to Qantas Frequent Flyer points at 1:1.