How long for Taxi charges to appear on Amex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mal

Enthusiast
When Cab charges are billed to your Amex electronically (ie not a manual system) - how long does it normally take to appear on your account?

IME, it varies greatly - from overnight to a week or so - I generally check my account online daily. (cough? nyet!)

I guess there is some dependence of the service provider used by the taxi's you employ.

When Cab charges are billed to your Amex electronically (ie not a manual system) - how long does it normally take to appear on your account?
Mal,

I used AMEX to pay a cab fare in Sydney recently and it is showing up as being on the correct day. I am not sure however when it actually posted.

Hmmm. Ok.

Still have some from last month that still havn't posted...

I normally pay cash for taxi's, but couldn't resist flashing the Amex due to bonus points on offer... (even though there is that 11% surcharge) See the promo does work ;)

Last edited:
Hmmm. Ok.

Still have some from last month that still havn't posted...
Sometimes with these things ... there is a god - or at least a random bonus ... (unless you're after AX MR Promotion transactions).:p

I watch my taxi fares on AMEX like a hawke as I have had a few bogus transactions go through ... mainly from the old style paper based machines. I find even the electronic taxi transactions can take a couple of weeks to show up.

I've had them take a month. Not sure what has to happen to actually get them to post on an amex account, but I suspect drivers batch them up.

I've had them take a month. Not sure what has to happen to actually get them to post on an amex account, but I suspect drivers batch them up.

I just can't understand that. I thought the reason Cabcharge went to the Electronic system was to ensure both validity of cards and to improve payment to cabbies from fares.

I can understand a week to posting. But surely the cabbie/cab owner wants their $$ as soon as possible after the fare. I'm certainly happy not to pay for a fare for 28 days after it occurs, but others may not be.

Perhaps that's why the Cabcharge 11% shaft occurs - to cover that type of gap!

In the past, I've had some charges appear 2-3 months after the event. Hasn't happened recently. Makes life difficult when doing expense reports.:rolleyes:

Watch those dockets like a hawk - I do ever since one driver decided to take liberty with the 16.40 I'd written and changed the 1 to a dollars sign and inserted a 0 after the "6" and before the "." (had scrawled the amount in writing himself).

I have had some in the past few weeks take up to 3 weeks to appear - but then the correct date is listed when they do appear.

I rang up the relevant cab company and semi complained and they laughed at me saying that I shouldn't complain :confused:

Also, I think I have had a dodgy charge as one of my cab rides was from the city to Box Hill and on my amex statement it comes up as $70!!! I suppose I was a little tipsy after the ANZ ball and it's my own fault I didn't check... oh well :evil:

I'm currently still awaiting 3 amounts from the 27th Sept...

I just can't understand that. I thought the reason Cabcharge went to the Electronic system was to ensure both validity of cards and to improve payment to cabbies from fares.

I can understand a week to posting. But surely the cabbie/cab owner wants their $$ as soon as possible after the fare. I'm certainly happy not to pay for a fare for 28 days after it occurs, but others may not be.

Perhaps that's why the Cabcharge 11% shaft occurs - to cover that type of gap!

I think part of the reason for batching is that some cabbies trade the Cabcharge receipts for Fuel. They dont declare the income from the receipt but do get the tax deduction for the fuel...

I think part of the reason for batching is that some cabbies trade the Cabcharge receipts for Fuel. They dont declare the income from the receipt but do get the tax deduction for the fuel...

Hi simongr,

Always the auditor:D, thinking the worst of people.;)

However in this case I do beleive you may be correct.

ejb

The original ones that I was 'concerned' about went through into my account. So less than 14 days.

Still seems to be a long time!

I've had cab fares take a month or more to appear on my Amex statement but usually they are there in a few days at most. Apparently a lot of cabbies prefer to use the manual system because at the end of their shift they can take the receipts to the depot and get cashed out on the spot, doing it electronically it apparently takes them a month or more to get paid!

I too have had a dodgy experience with a manual transaction, the cost was supposed to be around $14, the transaction came through as being $124 or something like that, the idiot probably thought the company's paying he won't even check, but oh how wrong he was!

As a result I refuse to pay using a manual machine and if there's no other option I will take a photo of the Driver's ID card and give him a quick rundown of my past experience with a manual transaction, that way hopefully he won't try to pull any swifties!

Has this got anything to do with the current questionable Amex bonus points promotion? I would not be worrying how long an authentic taxi charge takes to appear on my Amex account. If I decided to use Amex again for a taxi then I need to be on the look out for bogus charges appearing on the Amex account weeks and even months after using the taxi.

Why do certain type of people think they can get away with anything?

Has this got anything to do with the current questionable Amex bonus points promotion?

In the spirit of the Amex promotion, I decided to swap cash cab fares for Amex cab fares (at a cost of 11% of the taxi fare).

All of my fares so far have turned up safely - without "dodgy" adjustment. Then again, they are electronic, not manual transactions.

Just went through some taxi receipts, and there is an interesting disparity. For receipts from TAXIePAY the average time to post was 2 days, for Cabcharge it was 10 days.

I had one appear on my Amex earlier this year, about 2 months after I'd moved to the US. I'm presuming it was a charge from a few months earlier, but queried it to try and confirm. About 6 weeks later Amex advised the charge had been withdrawn...

In general I've had them take up to a month for manual ones.

As I am now currently disputing a transaction that appears to be from a taxi, in talking to Amex, I was surprised to learnt that taxis have 90 days from the transaction to when they need to finalise the transaction.

Oddly, my mystery transaction turned up 85 days after my last taxi ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back