How does it work for travelers without chip and pin? | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

How does it work for travelers without chip and pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombatcountry

Intern
A couple of friends from the US are planning to visit, and I was wondering what to advise them re. The chip and pin credit card payments here. In the US most credit cards don't have a chip, and none (that I know of) have a pin. Since august 1st it's been very difficult to use a card without the pin here. We all had to memorize a number of different pins. Once, as I had forgotten, I was able to persuade my vet to pretend I was paying over the phone, but another time I had to leave a store without making a purchase.

So, what does someone do who doesn't have our type of credit cards?

dajop

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I have Chip & PIN with my Singapore issued credit card, but during my visit back home to Melbourne in August, I was only asked to sign, not enter a PIN. Terminals recognise that it wasn't an AU issued card.

Homer

Established Member
Yes as dajop said, your US friends will be able to swipe their card. All the EFTPOS terminals still have magstripe readers and most staff should be familiar with the need to swipe US cards.

GPH

Flights
My Map
A couple of friends from the US are planning to visit, and I was wondering what to advise them re. The chip and pin credit card payments here. In the US most credit cards don't have a chip, and none (that I know of) have a pin. Since august 1st it's been very difficult to use a card without the pin here. We all had to memorize a number of different pins. Once, as I had forgotten, I was able to persuade my vet to pretend I was paying over the phone, but another time I had to leave a store without making a purchase.

So, what does someone do who doesn't have our type of credit cards?
Maybe change your PIN to the same for all cards?

Mal

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
The cards will default to swipe and sign. Shouldn't be an issue (many Americans visit daily, they must survive somehow!).

Credit cards which earn frequent flyer points is a popular way to earn frequent flyer points. You can receive thousands of points on everyday spend. And, many of these cards offer generous signup bonuses! Compare to find the credit card that best suits your needs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

amaroo

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum 1
Flights
My Map
I've still got an AMEX CC with no chip/pin - I still sign. Your friends will have no problems.

Sanpan

Intern
I have been using my AMEX CC and have had no problems so far. I just swipe and they ask me to sign as I have been doing for the last 33 years.

I can't see where there would be a problem for your friends. I hope they enjoy their trip downunder.

Tarra48

They can buy a pre-paid VISA card from the post office & load it up with A$ - Probably be cheaper on fees too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davie