How does it work for travelers without chip and pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wombatcountry

Intern
A couple of friends from the US are planning to visit, and I was wondering what to advise them re. The chip and pin credit card payments here. In the US most credit cards don't have a chip, and none (that I know of) have a pin. Since august 1st it's been very difficult to use a card without the pin here. We all had to memorize a number of different pins. Once, as I had forgotten, I was able to persuade my vet to pretend I was paying over the phone, but another time I had to leave a store without making a purchase.

So, what does someone do who doesn't have our type of credit cards?

I have Chip & PIN with my Singapore issued credit card, but during my visit back home to Melbourne in August, I was only asked to sign, not enter a PIN. Terminals recognise that it wasn't an AU issued card.

Yes as dajop said, your US friends will be able to swipe their card. All the EFTPOS terminals still have magstripe readers and most staff should be familiar with the need to swipe US cards.

A couple of friends from the US are planning to visit, and I was wondering what to advise them re. The chip and pin credit card payments here. In the US most credit cards don't have a chip, and none (that I know of) have a pin. Since august 1st it's been very difficult to use a card without the pin here. We all had to memorize a number of different pins. Once, as I had forgotten, I was able to persuade my vet to pretend I was paying over the phone, but another time I had to leave a store without making a purchase.

So, what does someone do who doesn't have our type of credit cards?

Maybe change your PIN to the same for all cards?

The cards will default to swipe and sign. Shouldn't be an issue (many Americans visit daily, they must survive somehow!).

I've still got an AMEX CC with no chip/pin - I still sign. Your friends will have no problems.

I have been using my AMEX CC and have had no problems so far. I just swipe and they ask me to sign as I have been doing for the last 33 years.

I can't see where there would be a problem for your friends. I hope they enjoy their trip downunder.

They can buy a pre-paid VISA card from the post office & load it up with A$ - Probably be cheaper on fees too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back