Property: Sofitel Melbourne on Collins
Status: Explorer+ Platinum
Room booked: Superior 1 King Bed
Room upgraded/type: +4 to Prestige Suite
Rate: Accor HERA rate @ $403AUD/night. Accor member flex rate at time of booking was $350.55AUD/night.
Early check in/late out: Yes, room was available at 1025
Free internet: Yes
Free breakfast: Yes, but did not partake.
Welcome drink: Yes, but did not redeem.
Welcome amenity: Fruit and macarons.
Recommend: Consistent ambience and vibes from lobby to room. Great interior and exterior views.
Comments: One-night stay, convenient location and a short walk to my evening appointment. Had $100 USD property credit and $100 Amex statement credit to burn which we used on in-room dining and at the Atrium Bar.
Check-in was quick and simple. All my preferences were noted, they had my checkout time on file, and I asked for a wake-up call which came through as expected. Strangely, Lily at check-in couldn't give me an exact AUD figure for the property credit, only saying it was roughly $140. In my experience the property credit doesn't fluctuate much, so it was odd not to have a firm number upfront. Glad it was confirmed at checkout.
The room is quite expansive and the views are wonderful. Not detracting from my experience, but personally I would have liked a larger bathroom with an enclosed shower, and portable speakers (Sofitels/Fairmonts in Cambodia and Vietnam have Marshall speakers for use).
In-room dining was delivered within a reasonable timeframe and really enjoyable. Food at the Atrium Bar was okay; it was quiet when we went, however service was slow. We waited 15 minutes for still water after our food arrived, despite having ordered it together.
My own oversight where I forgot to inform the front desk about a preferred turndown time led to the housekeeping team entering around 20:28 while I was on a call with the lights off. I didn't hear their knocks and I likely surprised them when they entered. Turndown included a bottle of water, chocolates, filled ice bucket, and the lighting was adjusted, though I noticed the bed wasn't actually turned down and slippers weren't set out beside it.
No breakfast box was mentioned or offered at checkout although I had it noted on file. Not sure if that's something they provide here, though it didn't matter as I had a big breakfast at the QF Flounge anyway.
Didn't have time to visit the club lounge, however the two young gentlemen there were excellent and very professional. I had a letter that needed to be sent that the team were more than happy to cover the cost for, unlike my other experiences sending letters at overseas properties.
Overall a perfect but short stay, no complaints really.
Prestige Suite: