How does Accor treat you as an Elite guest? | Page 39 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

How does Accor treat you as an Elite guest?

M@rcoPolo

Yes I've been to the Pullman Melbourne on Swanston earlier in the year (pre-Covid), love the location being so central and the executive lounge (I'm Platinum so I get free access) but then again the lounge is probably still closed atm

sudoer

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Yes I've been to the Pullman Melbourne on Swanston earlier in the year (pre-Covid), love the location being so central and the executive lounge (I'm Platinum so I get free access) but then again the lounge is probably still closed atm
Thanks for the quick feedback. The location is great indeed - I stayed a few years back when it was a Grand Mercure.

The exec lounge is closed at the moment but I expect will have reopened by October long weekend when I'll be travelling. It seems Pullman have zeroed all room inventory which includes lounge access, be it Superior/Deluxe rooms with the lounge add-on, or exec rooms. The rooms are shown on the hotel info page but they're not bookable via Accor or OTAs.

Have you stayed at the Lindrum also by any chance? Any preference between the two?

M@rcoPolo

Have you stayed at the Lindrum also by any chance? Any preference between the two?

Sorry I never stayed at the Lindrum, I usually stay at the Sofitel (when they have decent specials) or the Pullman on The Park (not very central but only a quick tram ride to/from the CBD)

samh004

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
Property: Sofitel Singapore City Centre (March 2020)
Room Booked: Luxury Room
Room upgrade: Yes, Luxury Premium Room
Free internet: Yes
Welcome drinks: Yes
Early check in / late out: Late check-out
Exec Lounge: No
VIP treatment: Premium Services included: Complimentary Breakfast, Minibar, WiFi and SGD 20 Laundry Credit, Access to Virgin Active

oliver_adl

I've stayed at the new Pullman. Rooms are on the smaller side but the lounge is very nice. I probably wouldn't stay there if the lounge isn't open though...

You'd probably only choose it for the location; though I think Quay West Suites or Pullman Albert Park are better value in Melbourne and with a great location and fit out in the former and bigger rooms and restaurant in the latter.

Stuyw

Qantas
Gold
Virgin
Red
A few properties over this year combined into one post sorry.

Property: Pullman Sydney airport
Month of stay: June 2020
Room Booked: Deluxe Room
Room upgrade: Sort of, higher floor but same room type.
Exec Lounge: No, offered at $20 a night in email. I miss platinum
VIP treatment: Boxed chocolates
Overall - Covid times at an airport hotel is interesting. Restaurant not open for breakfast but cheaper in room dining. Place was empty.

Property: Pullman Adelaide
Month of stay: March 2020 - Pre lock down
Room Booked: Deluxe Room
Room upgrade: Yes, Premium Deluxe Room
Exec Lounge: No, was previously provided when platinum along with free breakfast
VIP treatment: Boxed chocolates
Overall - Despite loosing platinum still was a decent stay. Lack of lounge wasn't a huge concern as food offerings are limited and only good for the wine/beer.

Property: Mantra on the Quay Brisbane
Month of stay: March 2020
Room upgrade: No
Free internet: No
Welcome drinks: No
Early check in/late out: No
VIP treatment: None
Overall - Poor hotel experience. I know Mantra is new to the brand but this hotels service was lacking. Receptionist was on the phone all night so you couldn't call down. She also claimed the internet was out which morning staff said was a lie. Cheap and a good view but ordinary stay otherwise.

Property: Ibis Swanston Street
Month of stay: Jan 2020
Room upgrade: NA (doesn't exist but met all preferences).
Welcome drink: Yes, handed either beer or wine on checkin
Early check in/late check out: Both
VIP treatment: Free breakfast
Overall - Standard ibis experience. Clean and cheerful. Free breakfast was poor and you may as well miss it.

Property: Sofitel Sydney Wentworth
Month of stay: Jan 2020
Status: Accor Plus Platinum recognsied (had dropped to gold)
Room Booked: Superior Room
Room upgrade: higher floor room
Welcome drink: Yes
Early check in/late out: Both
Executive Lounge: Yes
VIP treatment: Chocolates and choice of points or food with alcohol
Overall - Prefer this hotel to the other Sofitel as it seems less snobby. Lounge offerings are a lot better with a large range of foods and drinks. Also great that lounge staff recognise me so I don't have to say my name to check in.

sudoer

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Property: Novotel Canberra
Month of stay: July 2020
Room Booked: Standard queen room booked through corporate TA
Room upgrade: Yes, executive apartment
Free internet: Yes although very flaky (~30% packet loss)
Welcome drinks: Yes, 1 voucher for house beer/wine at bar - offered Kosciuszko or Furphy as beer choices
Early check in / late out: Not offered, but also not needed so I didn't ask
Exec Lounge: N/A
VIP treatment: Bottle of red, small can of pringles and a sweet

Super quick check-in. No mention of loyalty or upgrade so I assumed room key was for the category booked. Just a one night stay and given the current state of the industry I didn't mind - but opened the door to find a much bigger room than expected! Very appreciative of the upgrade and welcome gift.

Side note: Foxtel subscription seems to be suspended - all Fox channels show "smartcard not authorised". FTA works fine. No objection here - knowing what Foxtel charge for commercial subscriptions I reckon this is a fair and easy way for a property to save a solid chunk of money at the moment.

IMG_20200714_180914.jpg
IMG_20200714_180910.jpg
IMG_20200714_180927.jpg
IMG_20200714_181138.jpg

Last edited:

sudoer

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Property: Sebel Canberra Civic
Room Booked: Superior room queen bed
Free internet: Not that I could find, the only WiFi network available was password protected and I couldn't find any details on how to connect
Welcome drinks: Kind of... see below.
Early check in / late out: Not offered, but also not needed so I didn't ask
Exec Lounge: N/A - the "Sebel Lounge" was closed, this was my first stay at this property so I'm not sure if this functions as an Exec lounge in normal times?

I booked this through corporate TA very last minute - arriving at 7pm approx 1.5 hours after booking. The guy on the front desk seemed not in the best spirits, but did recognise my status and thank me for my loyalty. He then proceeded to apologise for not being able to offer any welcome drinks as "the bar is closed, the restaurant is closed, and the minibars aren't stocked due to covid precautions"

Once I'd settled into the room I noticed the minibar and snacks were fully stocked. I ducked out to grab some dinner (Garema Place and City Walk nearby have some great options) and on passing the front desk mentioned that the bar was actually stocked. He told me that shouldn't have been the case, but I could help myself to anything I wanted... so a few beers it was :)

I found the quality of the room very good for the $130-150 rate being charged at the moment. Compared to the Novotel, the bed at Sebel was more comfortable, the bathroom was nicer (walk in shower vs shower over bath at Novotel) and the room had a Nespresso machine with a few pods which was a plus over the usual instant coffee. In general the room felt much newer and had nicer fittings, although it was noticeably smaller than the upgraded room I received at the Novotel.

I've got another 3-4 stays in Canberra coming up so will check out a few other properties - possibly Mantra on Northbourne or Mercure Canberra next.

Last edited:

DC3

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
.... on passing the front desk mentioned that the bar was actually stocked. He told me that shouldn't have been the case ...
When I read that, I was expectIng the next line to be:

‘I’m sorry about that, sir. I will send someone up to your room immediately, in order to empty it out”. 😀

sudoer

Established Member
Flights
My Map
Have stayed at the Sebel twice more since my last post - consistently inconsistent!

Property: Sebel Canberra Civic
Room Booked: Superior room queen bed

Stay 2:
Free internet: Yes, for all guests - wifi password is on the phone handset in every room. Wifi speeds are pretty bad (5mbps) but it's usable for web browsing.
Welcome drinks: No, the mini bar was stocked again (in contravention of 'ALLSAFE') but no offer to take a drink, and I didn't ask.
Early check in / late out: Not offered, but not needed.

Stay 3:
Room upgrade: Yes - Exec floor King
Free internet: Yes, speeds still poor.
Welcome drinks: No, and mini bar actually empty this time!!
Early check in / late out: Requested 12pm checkout, reception obliged.

Not much to write home about but the rates at this property are just too hard to pass up, with the last stay coming in at $129 - the same price as the Ibis Styles! For comparison, the Mercure was $139, Mantra was $159, and Novotel and Breakfree both $179.

Rooms have been spotless and very comfortable each time. Internet speeds over ethernet are significantly better than wifi, so bring a cable along if you plan to work from your room. I'm guessing they have a 50/20 residential grade NBN plan shared between all guests (!)

1596060039433.png

Same guy on reception as the first time I stayed here - he mentioned occupancy is only 20%, and he's the only staff member in the building until 10pm. After that the property is unmanned until 8am. Sad times for the industry.

Last edited:

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poh