Hotelcub extra bonus points clarification for Amex

Status
Not open for further replies.

luxurytraveller

Hi,

Thought I would share about the extra services for Hotelclub with Amex.

There is an ongoing promotion where if you book hotels through Hotelclub.com.au/amex - you receive an extra 10x bonus points for every dollar you spend.

On the Amex Bonus partners website - it states that for every dollar - you receive 10x points (no minimum amount required).

But when you go to the Hotelclub.com.au/amex website - it states that you receive 10x points for every dollar you spend over $350.

I have tested this out by booking a hotel room for $200 with hotelclub.com.au/amex and can confirm that there is no minimum amount required. So for booking $200 hotel room - I received 2200 MR points.

This is a great deal! Especially if you intend to spend thousands of dollars on hotel rooms and don't care too much for the Hotel loyalty program and the points that they provide when you book directly with them instead.

Hope this helps someone in this forum when making decisions to book hotels.

Interesting, I didn't realise that HC was a bonus partner for amex.
Though, like with the visa version of HC, the amex HC site does not accept coupons. Given that at any given time there's usually a 15% off coupon floating around, one would have to weigh up the comparative benefit of using 1 site over the other.

Interesting, I didn't realise that HC was a bonus partner for amex.
Though, like with the visa version of HC, the amex HC site does not accept coupons. Given that at any given time there's usually a 15% off coupon floating around, one would have to weigh up the comparative benefit of using 1 site over the other.

No brainer for me. 10 points per $ is worth 4+c. So that is 40% off vs 15%

Last edited:
I have been using 15%-20% bonus coupons recently with either HotelClub or RatesToGo. With HotelClub I also get an additional 5% off as a Platinum member.

No brainer that I would rather have the cash discount as I cannot value points that highly.

I don't want to keep accumulating points for flights I don't need and then forced to use the points on a weekend to nowhere.

Site not working at present

Too Many Sessions
We are sorry, but there are currently too many active users within the system. Please try to access this system at a later time. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I used to have more MS opportunities with AMEX so have started to value these points promotions more.

Best for non chain stays as you don't get the elite benefits.

Confused! Surely 4c per $ is 4% not 40?

I think he meant 40c (or 4c per point) which is possible when redeeming J or F ticket. I dont think he meant 4c since 10 points is already worth like 7-8c when redeeming for voucher.

Just booked a hotel on another site with a discount code for $1395 while hotelclub full rate was $1900 (same room and condition). I would've got a bit more value if I had booked on hotelclub but the difference wasn't big enough so I chose cash instead. Will definitely choose hotelclub if the rate is as good as other sites (or slightly worse) since I value my point about 3c.

I think he meant 40c (or 4c per point) which is possible when redeeming J or F ticket. I dont think he meant 4c since 10 points is already worth like 7-8c when redeeming for voucher.

Just booked a hotel on another site with a discount code for $1395 while hotelclub full rate was $1900 (same room and condition). I would've got a bit more value if I had booked on hotelclub but the difference wasn't big enough so I chose cash instead. Will definitely choose hotelclub if the rate is as good as other sites (or slightly worse) since I value my point about 3c.

I guess, hard for me to value at more than a cent when I have got more than I currently need and can manufacture more at .7c per point.

Would you care to share where you got the discount code please?

I guess, hard for me to value at more than a cent when I have got more than I currently need and can manufacture more at .7c per point.

I actually prefer cash. Even if I value my point 3c, it doesn't mean I would pay 3c for it. (I pay max 1.5c )

When booking major hotel brands on online agent sites, discount codes dont normally work. And if you don't use a cashback site, getting 10 points per $ isn't a bad idea.

Would you care to share where you got the discount code please?

The discount code I used was only 15% off on Venere (same rate as hotels.com and expedia) but the rate on Venere was already around 10% cheaper than hotelclub.

The hotel club amex offer is a little unusual. It books via a different backend than the normal HC site (via neatgroup I think).

I actually prefer cash. Even if I value my point 3c, it doesn't mean I would pay 3c for it. (I pay max 1.5c ).

Yes, well that would be where language is an issue for me, it seems what you call value I would call price. For me value is the figure I'd pay (what's it worth to me), the fact that someone else tries and sells it at more doesn't increase what I value it at.

While it's only a personal opinion I think if you are in this game (chasing points) you need to be able to distinguish the two and ignore the price/cost and only pay attention to what it's worth to you.

I actually prefer cash. Even if I value my point 3c, it doesn't mean I would pay 3c for it. (I pay max 1.5c )

When booking major hotel brands on online agent sites, discount codes dont normally work. And if you don't use a cashback site, getting 10 points per $ isn't a bad idea.

The discount code I used was only 15% off on Venere (same rate as hotels.com and expedia) but the rate on Venere was already around 10% cheaper than hotelclub.

FT is a good place to look for hotel discount codes, there are always some hanging around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back