HKIA Yellow Stickers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by simongr, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi all
    Just packing up my bags for my flight NRT-HKG and was doing my usual trick of cleaning off the prior flight's tags and stickers (except for the CX F class priority baggage tags which seem to not to want to come off without a fight) and I saw the HKIA yellow stickers. these look to me like an RFID device. They have a metal circuit and a small central device.

Does anyone know what these are? Are people tracking my every movement in the airport ;)?

2. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The bag tags are indeed an RFID implementation. I believe HKG is one of 2 airports worldwide that have implemented RFID - the other I think is Las Vegas.

3. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No, just your bags ... :p

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    But they could track people's bags once collected. See if the bags go near concession stands, lurk in bathrooms, go to the taxi ranks or the train. Given that the PRC has HKG firmly under control - just you wait and see how the RFID detectors will be everywhere watching you and monitoring you.....

5. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I believe the ones they use are fairly close proximity to be able to be read - just like "Prox cards" (if you use them at work) or the contactless Octopus card (HKG) or EzyCard (SIN). There is an interesting PDF presentation on the system if you do some google searches.

6. aus_flyer

aus_flyer Established Member

Feb 15, 2005
    Brisbane
    What is RFID?

7. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map