Hilton Airline Simulator offer

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    I didn't realise that the Ansett simulators were still in service.

However it seems like a lot of money to me for a night at the Hilton and a turn in the sim. :?

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    IIRC some FFPs have an award for flight sim. Maybe Air Canada Aeroplan and another one or two?

3. bigjobs

bigjobs Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    as much fun as that sounds and no matter how much i would love a go in the sim i think the price is a bit steep.

i can get half a day at the track for me and my WRX STI for a lot less than that and feel like i am about to take off if i had a set of wings attached.

4. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    It effectively values the simulator experience at about $1000. I have no idea how this compares with other simulator experiences able to be bought by the public (through $ or miles), other than the obvious being much more expensive than MS Flight Simulator :D

5. Damien

Damien Member

Aug 29, 2005
    BNE
    Aeroplan will give 3 people a go in a simulator for 80,000 miles. The choices are Airbus 320, Airbus 340, Boeing 767. See here.

6. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD
    100K of Asia Miles will get you one hour in the 744 sim at HK. Bound to be a bit more current than the Ansett 767 one, which I flew a long time a go!

7. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I think the offer isn't too bad, although I think the 737 sim is only a 737-300 sim.

Virgin Blue on the other hand has a 737-700 and 737-800 sim in Brisbane.

A really nice one to be using would be a 747 simulator... Now that would be fun.

While I'm sure the tax man wouldn't approve (nor most bean counters at your workplaces :D), perhaps if you're in Melbourne on business it could be a hotel room to book.... About the same price as a suite, but with a lot more benefits :D

And imagine the HH points on offer! (assuming you earn HH points for the stay)

8. Groundfeeder

Groundfeeder Active Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Brisbane
    Back in the Jurassic when AN were flying, I had a freeby with AN to tour their Tullamarine maintenance base and 10 mins in their 767 Sim.

First Class of course, to relish in the old AN way of rewarding their major clients.

I convinced myself that the sim was just a huge video game on legs but following application of takeoff thrust, I was utterly and completely convinced I was controlling the real thing. I believe it was when one could hear and feel the tyres running over the simulated runway seams that I lost reality and got very attentive to flying this beast.

If you could buy one, or even try one - get one cos there is no better!

9. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Some of the ex Ansett simulators are still operational and the guys running them are trying to generate business.

By comparison Flight Safety International in the LOTFAP charge approx $US10,000 per person for 2 pilots to do a total of 10 hours in their simulators. ie $US2,000 per hour with 2 people on board. This is inclusive of ground school.

Makes this one look reasonable (though not cheap) by my standards. :wink: 8) :roll:

10. Anywhichway

Anywhichway Newbie

Apr 21, 2006
    Somewhere south
    I believe they are doing well. Have a look at http://www.ansettsimulators.com/.
    I read that the centre was one of the few sections that was making money and was sold as an on-going business by the administrators.

11. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    So is anyone going to take up the HPC offer? A MEL Sim Do?

12. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not this little black duck:!:

I get extremely ill in simulators which takes all the fun away.:oops: :evil: