Help opening AU bank account overseas

Flashback

Enthusiast
Gosh Citibank infuriates me. Received an e-mail (verified by calling in that it is legitimate) that I need to provide certified copies of my ID again. This is for an account that's been open nearly 20 years, they say they don't have any hard copies on file. That's odd given it was provided to open the account ....... told it has to be certified in Australia and posted. Can't do that, can't get into Australia. They relented and said I could get it certified here and post, but again; why should I have to bare the cost of doing that for information that's already been provided?

Need to work out how I can open an AU bank account from here, with a bank that actually gives a damn and will also process ID etc. electronically as every bank I deal with in the UK does. Is the Australian banking industry really so archaic!?

In Australia we are losing lots of bank branches so do not be amazed by responses you get @Flashback. Next there is a lot of outsourcing to foreign lands.
A colleague here is a CPA, so he's going to sign off my stat dec and I'll post that. Such hassle. Let's see if that works though.....

We're losing a lot of bank branches here too, but our e-banks are nothing short of amazing, IMHO.

A colleague here is a CPA, so he's going to sign off my stat dec and I'll post that. Such hassle. Let's see if that works though.....

We're losing a lot of bank branches here too, but our e-banks are nothing short of amazing, IMHO.

We had a similar hassle with our UK bank branch when we had to get our ID checked. Took about 7 months and multiple efforts,some of their refusals of validation were too laughable to repeat. An exhausting experience but once done it's smooth sailing.

Don't go looking for signs of intelligent life in Australian banking, it's dreadful here and finding a branch beyond an ATM is a challenge. It's the checkbox banking these days. If they can't complete those tickbox squares stay away.

Need to work out how I can open an AU bank account from here, with a bank that actually gives a damn and will also process ID etc. electronically as every bank I deal with in the UK does. Is the Australian banking industry really so archaic!?
CUA - no fees - account set up and ID checks are all online --- who needs branches ...

www.cua.com.au

I opened my Citibank account all online with no manual ID checks, only needed to enter passport details and validation was electronic. Seems strange you cant validate the same way.

Herd immunity from vaccinations is scheduled to be attained in your area by Monday @Flashback.
Downunder we have had less of a problem.
We move onto step 2 of the road map, which means pubs open (for outdoors, rule of 6 or 2 households), self-catering accommodation .... and yes, we're right onto that, haven't had a day off other than bank holidays for months and months, so looking forward to a few days away from work. I don't think I've ever gone so long without a holiday!
CUA - no fees - account set up and ID checks are all online --- who needs branches ...

www.cua.com.au
ForEx free transactions / ATM withdrawals? Any issues with a 'foreigner' opening an account? Will have a look.
I opened my Citibank account all online with no manual ID checks, only needed to enter passport details and validation was electronic. Seems strange you cant validate the same way.
I opened mine about 15-20 years ago, with physical ID (DL, Passport and Medicare); hence why I'm baffled they're asking for it again. Muppets.

I cant remember where you are @Flashback but Westpac has branches in London and New York - where you could physically go to open an Aussie bank account if needed. The London one is popular with backpackers who want to open an accounts nd deposit funds before arriving in Australia.

I cant remember where you are @Flashback but Westpac has branches in London and New York - where you could physically go to open an Aussie bank account if needed. The London one is popular with backpackers who want to open an accounts nd deposit funds before arriving in Australia.
The only one I want/need is something like Citi, where it has ForEx free etc. allowing me to make withdrawals here without fees.

I can't open a Revolut account in AU as I already have one in UK and some of the other 'neo banks' as AU seems to call them, won't open an account for me either as it says a requirement is being AU resident, which of course I'm not.

Citi has been working fine for a over a decade and suddenly they decide to be a PITA...... they're useful in Thailand and the USA also where I can use a Citi ATM and not have to pay the usual withdrawal tax you'd pay using any other bank/card there.

I hate how all the banks now have conciege at the front of branches, then try to direct you to atms or online banking. I wouldnt be here if i could do things online. They do know by doing this they might lose their jobs as branches close. Then to get anything done thats more complicated its appointment system. Sometimes its hour ir two, others the next day or so. I was lucky on Tuesday as was cancelling insurance as unit sale was finalised. Went to bank - about 5 min after it opened waited about ten minutes to see someone and cancelled insurance and photo copied epoa - was in and out in about 5 min after speaking to someone. Still have to see how commonwealth bank goes now have their requirements fulfilled (fingers crossed) to get into safety deposit box.

I had the experience with ANZ of needing to change my address. Went to the branch to do so and she kept insisting I could do it online which I could not because my account details were locked. She then tried to fob me off to calling in which I refuse to do because the morons at the call centre must be the most useless unhelpful group of people out there. In the meantime she could have completed the change instead of spending 10 minutes arguing with me about how I could do it online.
Post automatically merged:

The only one I want/need is something like Citi, where it has ForEx free etc. allowing me to make withdrawals here without fees.

I can't open a Revolut account in AU as I already have one in UK and some of the other 'neo banks' as AU seems to call them, won't open an account for me either as it says a requirement is being AU resident, which of course I'm not.

Citi has been working fine for a over a decade and suddenly they decide to be a PITA...... they're useful in Thailand also where I can use a Citi ATM and not have to pay the usual withdrawal tax you'd pay using any other bank/card there.

If you are overseas you might want to avoid Citibank like the plague. We closed our account with them last year as it became too difficult dealing with them.

I recently needed to provide a certified copy of my passport for my new job and I wasn't able to physically get to my solicitor or a JP in timeframe. I'm lucky that one of my best friends in a solicitor, so I just scanned my passport, emailed to her, she printed the copy, certified it, scanned it and sent it back to me.

Just seems crazy Citibank want to site physical documents now when you can open new accounts with them here in Aus without ever visiting a branch. Their sign-up software has an interface that validates your drivers license or passport and a secondary ID usually medicare card or credit card.

I like Citibank as it means free atm withdrawals in NY, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong.

I recently needed to provide a certified copy of my passport for my new job and I wasn't able to physically get to my solicitor or a JP in timeframe. I'm lucky that one of my best friends in a solicitor, so I just scanned my passport, emailed to her, she printed the copy, certified it, scanned it and sent it back to me.

Just seems crazy Citibank want to site physical documents now when you can open new accounts with them here in Aus without ever visiting a branch. Their sign-up software has an interface that validates your drivers license or passport and a secondary ID usually medicare card or credit card.

I like Citibank as it means free atm withdrawals in NY, UK, Singapore and Hong Kong.
IANAL, but I'm not sure if that's actually legal. I thought they had to see the actual physical document there and then, not a scanned copy? Your friend may have committed an unlawful act, albeit with the best intentions.

If you showed it via video, then scanned/sent and did it that way then it's not clear whether that's now acceptable in this day and age.

Yes, agree how crazy it is, especially when they were provided over a decade ago. Madness.

Received an e-mail (verified by calling in that it is legitimate) that I need to provide certified copies of my ID again.

I received the same email. And an identical letter in the post. I've had Citi cards for decades.

It's really quite a process Citi wants including making a Statutory Declaration and mailing the documents to them:

I think the thread title should be "Why does Citibank now need original certified copies of ID documents actually mailed to them"?

There must be an online process in 2021?

Even governments and lawyers can approve identity checks, online, to their required standards now. You still need the original documents but then there is a process of photographing them and supplying a video selfie while entering a code that has been sent to you during the video. Etc. It's a bit of a process but at least it's online.

Is something like Wise, Formerly TransferWise: Online Money Transfers | International Banking Features (formally Transferwise) an option for you? Can easily create a bank account (not going to earn interest though). I don't recall having to provide any physical identification (they're online only anyway) when I opened my account.

I think I had to submit a copy of my passport to open this account.

@Flashback I can send you a referral if you like - I use the debit mastercard all the day - I've got Australia, NZ US Canada Euros and UK pounds on it at the moment

I think I had to submit a copy of my passport to open this account.

@Flashback I can send you a referral if you like - I use the debit mastercard all the day - I've got Australia, NZ US Canada Euros and UK pounds on it at the moment
Does it have a BSB and Account number attached?

Good to know, need to have a think as to have the money sitting there earning nothing also factors into things. Will see what happens when I post this stuff to Citi anyway, if that all works then no need to open another one!

Back