Group bookings discount?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ero, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. ero

ero Junior Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Hi all,

Does anyone know if group discounts on domestic travel (MEL->SYD) are available? If so, what is the discount and minimum number of people to be classified as a "group".

Thanks.

2. N860CR

N860CR Established Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Brisbane & Sydney
    A few years ago I had a group of 12 to travel SYD-MEL. The DJ online fare (from memory) was $89 each way. I contacted group travel and the quote was for $125 each way. Beats me as to why the group option was more.

The minimum number for groups (on DJ anyway) is 10.

3. bravoecho1

bravoecho1 Member

Sep 10, 2004
    OOL
    We looked at doing a group booking when we were getting married in Fiji last year.

The only difference (price was the same) was that we didn't have to pay for the tickets upfront and only 20% was required at the time of booking.

4. Flashback

Flashback Senior Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My thoughts are that in order to seat you all together, due to the large number it can inconvenience others.. so maybe a reason for a slight increase in fare price?

5. oz_mark

oz_mark Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2002
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The cheapest Virgin Blue fares are the ones on the Internet, and you can book up to 20 people using the online booking engine. The downside is that using the internet is an instant purchase, which may not suit. Group booking on virgin blue through the contact centre have the normal $15 each way levy which accounts for some of the increase in price (maybe available fare buckets also had an effect).

Qantas also has a minimum of 10 passengers to be a group (but you can't do it online)