Grammar Discussions

Read our AFF credit card guides and start earning more points now.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

To all the pedants out there. I picked up a book last week (later on I was very pleased it was a library book because if I'd bought it I'd have demanded a refund). Ali Lowe is the author; born in England and relocated to Oz in her 20s. I borrowed 4 at a time and the first book published had dozens of howlers - errors in spelling, meanings (discrete instead of discreet) , sloppy punctuation and typos. If she used Spellcheck that only corrects errors in spelling, not in comprehension. I had a look at the acknowledgements and there's a slew of editors thanked. I'd happily do the job for nothing because they were paid for doing a really bad job. You can tell she's not thrown off her English roots eg Rrizla, (what the heck is that?) gin and slimline, naff and too many others to mention. Whoever says chestbone? S[ells it passion fruit? In fact I checked to see if it was edited in England or here because any Australian would know they're not expressions we would use. McMac thinks I'm loopy but if you're good at English and grammar it's really annoying. Rant over
 

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.
Back
Top