Good SC earning value ex HNL travelling AA First.

Status
Not open for further replies.

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,077
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
I was looking at some AA flights earler today and came across the following.

YUP fare return HNL-MIA on AA From USD1680.

Go to AA.com.
Select "[More Options]" from the "Make a reservation" box.
Select "Multi City" for better option selection.
Select "First/Premium: With Restrictions"
Choose to display 50 flights.

When flights are displayed, choose almost any of the options with 3 Segments offered both ways for up to 780 SC's and 10,000 base QFF points. You may have to vary selections to get 3 sector routings.

With AAdvantage it's well over the 10K QPoints needed to complete the AA Plat Challenge.

Be aware that YUP book in into P class on AA flights and if you need to change flights for any reason and P class is not available on the a flight you change to, you travel in coach with QF discount WHY SC earn.
YRUPP7NR Fare Rules said:
1.PASSENGERS HOLDING CONFIRMED RESERVATIONS AND TICKETS MAY STANDBY FOR EARLIER/LATER SAME DAY AA NONSTOP AND/OR CONNECTING FLIGHTS BETWEEN THE SAME ORIGIN AND DESTINATION AIRPORTS WITHOUT CHARGE PROVIDED THE ROUTING IS APPLICABLE FOR THE FARE CHARGED. IF FIRST CLASS CABIN IS NOT AVAILABLE/ THE PSGR WILL BE ACCOMMODATED IN THE COACH CABIN SUBJECT TO ITS AVAILABILITY OR PSGR MAY ELECT TO STANDBY FOR FIRST CLASS ON ANOTHER FLIGHT.

*780 SC can be earned for HNL-LAX-ORD-MIA and return via the same ports. 720SC's for HNL-LAX-SFO/DFW-MIA and vv.
 
Last edited:

baswitzer

Intern
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
76
Points
0
I wonder if I should to this also.

I am doing Syd-NYC (appears to be N) even though the price is high.

NYC-BOS
BOS-NYC
NYC-ORD
ORD-DCA
DCA-NYC
LAX-LAS-LAX.

Most of the AA flights would be in Q so only .5 points. Would I be best putting them into QF? Also do miles on AA expire?
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
You can do better serfty - think NE instead of SE ;)

780 for US$1420 in just a few minutes playing.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
Average Fare Per Person - 1420.00 USD

Fare Alert: Nonrefundable fare. Change fee associated with fare.
Carrier Flight
# Departing Arriving Aircraft
Type Cabin
Flight
Miles Meals Travel
Time
City Date & Time City Date & Time



AMERICAN AIRLINES 162 HNL
Honolulu/ Oahu 10/17/2007
01:05 PM LAX
Los Angeles 10/17/2007
09:25 PM 763 First
View Seats 2556 Lunch 12 hr
5 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES 192 LAX
Los Angeles 10/17/2007
10:45 PM BOS
Boston 10/18/2007
07:10 AM 757 First
View Seats 2611 Snack or Brunch
Alert: Overnight flight or connection.


AMERICAN AIRLINES 1449 BOS
Boston 10/19/2007
11:00 AM DFW
Dallas/ Fort Worth 10/19/2007
02:05 PM M80 First
View Seats 1562 Snack or Brunch 15 hr
50 min

AMERICAN AIRLINES 2457 DFW
Dallas/ Fort Worth 10/19/2007
03:35 PM LAX
Los Angeles 10/19/2007
04:50 PM M80 First
View Seats 1235 Snack or Brunch

AMERICAN AIRLINES 297 LAX
Los Angeles 10/19/2007
06:10 PM HNL
Honolulu/ Oahu 10/19/2007
08:50 PM 757 First
View Seats 2556 Dinner
 

clifford

Established Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2004
Messages
2,069
Points
420
You guys obviously like to waste money.

Buy a UA airpass (oh but wait, isn't that a different alliance?).
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,077
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
clifford, point taken ;)

However, UA isn't too useful if over 50% of your travel is SWP.

My OP indicated a way a NB can get QF SG or AAdvantage Plat at a relatively reasonable cost as long as they can get to Hawaii.

(e.g. AUD800 return ex SYD/MEL on JQ ATM)
 

baswitzer

Intern
Joined
Jan 3, 2007
Messages
76
Points
0
Hmmm. I guess I am in a bit of a bind on my iteniary set out below.

N does not seem to earn points on AA and so I could not credit the Syd to NYC return flights there (which If I could would get me over the line on the challenge? No?)

Q on AA for the internal flights does not seem to earn points on QFF so I cannot credit the points there. It would be silly to to just credit the 1,500 miles (I think Q is 0.5 on AA) to a newly opened AA account. I would get nothing out of it? Hmm what to do? Any suggestions? I could proably convince my partner to pay for a higher fare but as this is a holiday she wants to spend as much as possible on the ground (understandably).



baswitzer said:
I wonder if I should to this also.

I am doing Syd-NYC (appears to be N) even though the price is high.

NYC-BOS
BOS-NYC
NYC-ORD
ORD-DCA
DCA-NYC
LAX-LAS-LAX.

Most of the AA flights would be in Q so only .5 points. Would I be best putting them into QF? Also do miles on AA expire?
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Points
0
baswitzer said:
Hmmm. I guess I am in a bit of a bind on my iteniary set out below.

N does not seem to earn points on AA and so I could not credit the Syd to NYC return flights there (which If I could would get me over the line on the challenge? No?)

Q on AA for the internal flights does not seem to earn points on QFF so I cannot credit the points there. It would be silly to to just credit the 1,500 miles (I think Q is 0.5 on AA) to a newly opened AA account. I would get nothing out of it? Hmm what to do? Any suggestions? I could proably convince my partner to pay for a higher fare but as this is a holiday she wants to spend as much as possible on the ground (understandably).

Just stick with the itinerary you have and perhaps upgrade 2 of the fares such that you can get Platinum status. What is the aim of your trip (a) to spend as much time in aircraft as possible or (b) to visit the locations that you plan to go to?

Dave
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
Points
0
baswitzer said:
Also do miles on AA expire?
AA's mileage expiry is similar to QF's. Namely, miles do not expire unless the account goes for three years without any activity at all (where "activity" is defined as a deposit from any source, or a redemption).
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,077
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Kiwi Flyer said:
You can do better serfty - think NE instead of SE ;)

780 for US$1420 in just a few minutes playing.
yes, but what's there to do in Boston when compared to Florida? :p

Fair enough though; better effect for AUD350 less.
 
Get paid up to 25% in real cash from your everyday purchases from leading companies such as Virgin Australia, Booking.com, Coles, Apple, Microsoft and much more. Free to join and no catches!

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
serfty said:
yes, but what's there to do in Boston when compared to Florida? :p

Fair enough though; better effect for AUD350 less.

On a xONEx it is more the other way around? HNL a bit of a waste on the xONEx (well for DONEx and AONEx). Route xONEx via BOS with a stopover there, and separate ticket YUP to HNL. BOS works out quite well for those wanting to maximise the north america flights on xONEx.
 

d15.in.oz

Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2006
Messages
452
Points
0
Kiwi Flyer, you and serfty are BAD influences!.!.!.:cool: I have just made an AA, “P class” booking for HNL-LAX-DFW-ELP (and rtn, next month for USD$1469.90 [inc taxes] and 660SC [sending me well into WP land]) … it’s on hold, and I’m trying to justify why with QF, WP is one up on SG!?!? You get lounge access either way (perhaps with the benefit of 1st class international lounges)… but as many have pointed out…there are so many QF WP’s that the other benefits (e.g. International upgrade priority) really don’t make a difference to SG status?!?! It seems, in the Qantas world, there is “CL”, “the middle ground” and “NB”…

So, should I pay, or should I stay? I have 24hrs HST to decide!
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,568
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
d15.in.oz said:
Kiwi Flyer, you and serfty are BAD influences!.!.!.:cool: I have just made an AA, “P class” booking for HNL-LAX-DFW-ELP (and rtn, next month for USD$1469.90 [inc taxes] and 660SC [sending me well into WP land]) … it’s on hold, and I’m trying to justify why with QF, WP is one up on SG!?!? You get lounge access either way (perhaps with the benefit of 1st class international lounges)… but as many have pointed out…there are so many QF WP’s that the other benefits (e.g. International upgrade priority) really don’t make a difference to SG status?!?! It seems, in the Qantas world, there is “CL”, “the middle ground” and “NB”…

So, should I pay, or should I stay? I have 24hrs HST to decide!
Don't under-estimate the value of 100% bonus points ve 50% bonus for Gold status (on QF, AA and BA flights). And of course all Platinum members get ahead of all Gold members for waitlisted upgrades. And a Platinum member can visit the Qantas Club even when not flying. I used this benefit twice in the last week when dropping off and picking up Mrs NM.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,077
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
Kiwi Flyer said:
On a xONEx it is more the other way around? HNL a bit of a waste on the xONEx (well for DONEx and AONEx). Route xONEx via BOS with a stopover there, and separate ticket YUP to HNL. BOS works out quite well for those wanting to maximise the north america flights on xONEx.
It actually hard to get both the BOS-DFW-LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX-DFW-BOS routings for the one booking when doing it online.

I found it can be done for exactly the same total price by booking two one-way flights. Fortunately, the YUPP14N is a one-way fare; some other versions of Y/KUP fares require return bookings.
 

Shano

Established Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2006
Messages
1,244
Points
10
If you have the cash to spare, then do it.

As NM just posted, the benefits of WP over SG are considerable. I also enjoy the lounge access when not flying, or having Mrs Shano enter the lounge with me when she takes me to the airport. And if you think that there are a lot of WP members, then remember that there is probably a whole lot more SG members.

As has been posted elsewhere, Qantas appear to be more generous in retaining WP members than SG.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
serfty said:
It actually hard to get both the BOS-DFW-LAX-HNL and HNL-LAX-DFW-BOS routings for the one booking when doing it online.

I found it can be done for exactly the same total price by booking two one-way flights. Fortunately, the YUPP14N is a one-way fare; some other versions of Y/KUP fares require return bookings.

Maybe I was lucky when playing with routings as I got that putting in just one random date, and not even in the multicity tab just the regular roundtrip one.
 

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,426
Points
0
Shano said:
If you have the cash to spare, then do it.

As NM just posted, the benefits of WP over SG are considerable. I also enjoy the lounge access when not flying, or having Mrs Shano enter the lounge with me when she takes me to the airport. And if you think that there are a lot of WP members, then remember that there is probably a whole lot more SG members.

As has been posted elsewhere, Qantas appear to be more generous in retaining WP members than SG.

Also there is an increased potential for Op-Ups on CX.
 

serfty

Veteran Member
Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
44,077
Solutions
19
Points
3,300
Qantas
Platinum
Virgin
Platinum
d15.in.oz said:
Kiwi Flyer, you and serfty are BAD influences!.!.!.:cool: ...
I don't consider this being a 'bad influence' as long as you have a need to go to El Paso. ;)

For me, I am still considering ... I would need to get to HNL to avail myself of such opportunities first. Hmmm ... :
  • QF via SYD for $1650, earning 22K QFF points and 70 SC's?
  • Jet
    starsmilie.gif
    return for AUD730 (sale) with no SC's or Points?
  • JetFlex for AUD1930 and earn 22K QFF points and 140 SC's?
  • starsmilie.gif
    Class for AUD2530 earning 27K QFF points and 280 SC's.
  • starsmilie.gif
    Class award for 115K (with StarClass discount) & AUS303 in +++
  • Econ award for 72K & AUS303 in +++
 

NM

Enthusiast
Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
16,568
Points
1,295
Qantas
LT Gold
Virgin
Red
serfty said:
I don't consider this being a 'bad influence' as long as you have a need to go to El Paso. ;)

For me, I am still considering ... I would need to get to HNL to avail myself of such opportunities first. Hmmm ... :
  • QF via SYD for $1650, earning 22K QFF points and 70 SC's?
  • Jet
    starsmilie.gif
    return for AUD730 (sale) with no SC's or Points?
  • JetFlex for AUD1930 and earn 22K QFF points and 140 SC's?
  • starsmilie.gif
    Class for AUD2530 earning 27K QFF points and 280 SC's.
  • starsmilie.gif
    Class award for 115K (with StarClass discount) & AUS303 in +++
  • Econ award for 72K & AUS303 in +++
How about A$577 on HA for SYD-HNL-SYD (KLXEPRR), or $777 on AC (LLSPHNL), or $998 on NZ (GUS1Y - via AKL obviously). All non-earning for QF and AA programs, but may be better value fares.
 

Kiwi Flyer

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2004
Messages
5,546
Points
0
d15.in.oz said:
Kiwi Flyer, you and serfty are BAD influences!.!.!.:cool: I have just made an AA, “P class” booking for HNL-LAX-DFW-ELP (and rtn, next month for USD$1469.90 [inc taxes] and 660SC [sending me well into WP land])

Going to ELP Do? At least it won't be too hot February.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)


Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Top