Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

General attitude towards lounge service staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warks

Established Member
I was in the VA lounge last week and had ordered a barista drink. There you order and wait to one side while it's made with all the other orders. I saw people's orders called and they would come up and take their "skim latte soy mochachinos" without even a glance at the person serving them and barely a grunt of acknowledgement if anything. I saw five people in a row do this and then one woman said "thank you" as she picked up someone else's drink for them. When it was my turn I looked the barista straight in the eye and said "thank you very much!" but I don't think it made up for all the behaviour of the other DYKWIAs.

I also notice (as I travel alone most of the time) that people rarely acknowledge the staff who clear their tables of plates and utensils especially if in a group. Being in a lounge obviously raises us to the rank of landed gentry and we no longer have to acknowledge the existence of the serfs.

So is it just people are grumpy early morning travellers? (I think they treat someone serving alcohol a little better most of the time.) Or is it a case of "I deserve this, you are being paid and have a job, be thankful!"

Sorry for the dose of communism.

D

Deleted member

Those people lacking in the common graces are not exclusive to J Lounge's. They are rude and inconsiderate to everyone. But your point is well made. Good on you I say !

yohy?!

Established Member
Flights
My Map
they are probably too busy doing the latest deal loudly on their phone in their lounge to have time for politeness!

eastwest101

Established Member
Flights
My Map
You are not the only one - I always try to thank the staff in the lounges, its just good manners (that were somehow drummed into me at some stage as a kid I guess).

cmon0005

Established Member
Qantas
Gold
Flights
My Map
I agree its just common courtesy and I always make sure I say thanks from the person who makes the coffee to the person that clears the tables. Small gestures go a long way and ultimately lead to happier staff which inturn means better service!

dmitri

Flights
My Map
I've had too many back hands from mum to not say thank you for those sort of services. I flinch now expecting a slap if I forget to say thank you

DC3

Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I haven't been to a VA lounge for over 12 months.

However, on any visits to the QF J lounge in SYD, MEL, BNE, the barista seemed to always get a "thank you". I'm only speaking for 1-2 cups per month, here, so maybe not really in a position to add much.

oz74

I really try and treat people the way that I would like to be treated.

Always say please and thank you no matter a persons "station" in life.

Really doesn't cost anything to be polite.

blackcat20

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
I really try and treat people the way that I would like to be treated.

Always say please and thank you no matter a persons "station" in life.

Really doesn't cost anything to be polite.
Exactly. I even hand my dishes to the person collecting them so they don't have to reach over...

mannej

It is always nice to have a quick chat with lounge staff, but yes I have seen some horrendous attitude displayed to the staff members doing their job.

SWMBO and I had one of these types check in in front of us at MEL for a JQ flight. Very very rude. We were nice to the JQ staff member and were given free exit seats. It doesn't take much effort to be nice does it?

oz74

Besides that if you think that you have really "kicked on" just because your sitting in the QP you need to have a good hard look at yourself! Lol

Pushka

Enthusiast
Flights
My Map
It isn't just lounges though. How many people say Thankyou when collecting their coffees at a barista? Rarely. Or even the order from the local takeaway.

I'm a plate gatherer too. But some might say that isn't "classy" doing the staff work. I just can't help being "mother". Gosh. That's sexist! :eek:

Denali

My husband is one of those people that cant help himself in saying thank you and being appreciative and smiles and as a result, hes the one that always seems to get the extra snack or the behind the scenes look or yes sir, lets move this red rope so you can sit in the very expensive one of a kind car for photos (which has happened). Often Ive lost him, only to find him with staff being given special treatment.

I give "back off" vibes but I always say thank you. Ive already purchased Lindt boxes for next weeks flight for the check in, lounge and flight staff.

Now with contactless delivery, shop online to get drinks delivered to your door or pick up in-store in 30 minutes. Lowest Liquor Price Guarantee. Biggest Range.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Buzzard

My husband is one of those people that cant help himself in saying thank you and being appreciative and smiles and as a result, hes the one that always seems to get the extra snack or the behind the scenes look or yes sir, lets move this red rope so you can sit in the very expensive one of a kind car for photos (which has happened). Often Ive lost him, only to find him with staff being given special treatment.

I give "back off" vibes but I always say thank you. Ive already purchased Lindt boxes for next weeks flight for the check in, lounge and flight staff.
Mrs B and I always give something to the CSM for the crew to share too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
capnbigwig