Frankfurt (FRA) Stopover Tips | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Frankfurt (FRA) Stopover Tips

Flights
My Map
This thread is a place to share tips and recommendations for stopovers at Frankfurt Airport (FRA) in Germany. You can discuss things like:
  • How to get from the airport to the city
  • Things to do (both near the airport and in the city)
  • Where to stay/hotel recommendations (both near the airport and in the city)
  • Your favourite FRA airport lounges
  • Airport facilities such as luggage storage and showers
  • Any other destination-specific tips or "hidden gems" you've discovered that could be useful for someone stopping over

Do you have a great tip that other travellers might find useful when stopping over in Frankfurt am Main? Add your suggestions to this thread, and your advice could make it into an AFF Stopover Guide article!

mrs.dr.ron

Established Member
This week we transit FRA airport and I was pulled aside for a bag check, I had a handbag and a roll on bag. I had two baggies of creams/sprays for both of us in my bag, so the security guy asked why the two bags, and I said I am carrying the creams/sprays for the two of us and my husband has my computer. So he went thru my handbag and found a 15ml lip balm - " this should be in the bag !! " He looked in my diary, :oops: my phone was turned off, he opened my money purse, " What are you doing with all this chinese money ??" ME: it not chinese, it japanese yen. :rolleyes: He looked at my camera ! My curling wand, He gave both bags a good going over.

So make sure you have everything in order if transitting FRA !!

Vinomofo is the best wine deals site on the planet. Good wines, real people and epic deals, without all the bowties and bs.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Mattg

Flights
My Map
I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with FRA. Sometimes, everything is super efficient and it's a pleasure to pass through this airport. Other times, you have to walk 1000km to your gate and there are huge queues for immigration and security.

Last year, I arrived off a long-haul flight around 7am and had 2 hours to connect to a Schengen Zone flight. The queue for inbound immigration was crazy, and I had to then walk forever to get to the next gate. I almost missed the connecting flight.

I've tried out a few of the Star Alliance lounges here. The Lufthansa Senator Lounges in general are very good with nice food and drink options, and my favourite is the one opposite gate B42. There's also an Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge, which is not bad but I do prefer the Lufthansa lounges.

F0E1D415-50CF-471B-8AF4-AFEBA1567110.jpeg

If you have an overnight layover, there are a few options. There is a bunch of airport hotels within a short shuttle bus ride from the airport... I've stayed at the Park Inn by Radisson and found it good for the price. To get to the airport hotel park, you can also now take the S-Bahn one station from the airport to Gateway Gardens, or if you want to stretch your legs it is an easy ~30 minute walk. (There is also a Hilton or Sheraton directly outside Terminal 1, but they are expensive.)

If you want to go into the city, there are frequent and inexpensive S-Bahn trains that only take 15-20 minutes. There is also a long-distance railway station at the airport, so you can quite easily get to anywhere else in Germany.

If you have a whole day to spend in Frankfurt, consider a day-trip with the train to Heidelberg to visit Heidelberg Castle.

FWIW, I have a 50-minute connection in FRA this weekend. Wish me luck!

Mattg

Flights
My Map
I'd be buying a lotto ticket after if I made that! Keep us posted and wishing you the very best of luck.
Well I ended up making the connection without any problems. We arrived at a bus bay and I had to walk about a kilometre (without even changing terminals), but still made it to the next gate before boarding began.

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandeep3668800