Flying to and across US as a VA WP - past and recent experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekys

So I recently flew return to the US on a VA/V Ameica/Delta itinerary. Because I wanted to avoid a redeye trans US return flight, I flew SYD-LAX-BOS-LAX-BNE-NTL. It's the first time in a while I've flown the trans pacific route as I had been covering the European routes the past year and my experiences of the codeshared Delta and Frontiers connections of the past had really left me dreading flights on US metal. In fact, my last couple of Delta flights had been my worst flying experiences and I was a UA Prem Exec back when I worked in the USA.

With this in mind, I thought I might share my current perspectives on the VA-Delta and VA-V America agreements and my experiences on my recent trip.
I've recently started flying frequently for business again so having dropped to Gold in 2013 I requalified for Gold in Oct and upgraded to Platinum between Nov and March and this trip was as a newly re-minted WP.

I guess this is kind of a trip report, but because it’s mostly a VA FF point of view, I thought it best here. Mods, sorry if it’s not appropriate.

SYD-LAX, SYD & Etihad Lounge
My outbound leg was from Sydney, check in was standard at the VA Business counter, fast and professional, but no more so than usual. I stopped in the new Etihad lounge (when I eventually found it, I walked by it the first time) before the flight and was impressed.Personally I prefer the interior to the Koru lounge, but I was there at 10am, so Idon't know if the food and beverages are as good in the evening when compared to Koru, but I would suspect so, based on other Etihad lounges.

SYD-LAX, VA Metal, Premium Economy
For my first leg I was in premium economy row 11 aisle, it had been a couple of years since I flew transpac and that was PE too.The PE product isn't quite as good as l remembered. The space and recline are certainly a step over economy and miles ahead of US carriers similar products, specifically Delta and United,the noise reducing headphones are a bonus, but I see a lot of FF on my route usually have their own. Overall, the hard product didn't feel significantly better than Etihad standard economy, which is strange as I know they compete SYD-AUH and wonder why anyone would specifically choose VA metal over EY on theAUH route.
The service had a few tweaks over economy but was only really better by virtue of the fact that there was a higher flight attendant to Pax ratio. On boarding the flight I encountered the first of a clean sweep of VA staff getting my (anglo saxon) name wrong. Amusingly, the V America and Delta staff didn’t have this trouble. They were helpful and courteous, but I do remember my previous flights in PE on this route feeling like a far more significant step up from economy than this time.Maybe its because I fly international business more these days.
Notably, one thing that is missing is the VA elite tier recognition. In my previous flights this was a very nice touch and included having meals brought out in advance of the cart. This didn’t happen here,although they did park the cart at the end of the aisle and deliver meals from there rather than walk it through the cabin. Reading the forum, recognition seems very hit and miss anyway. It's a pity, although meaningless, it was always a welcome touch.

LAX-BOS, LAX & The Loft
US immigration has improved for frequent visitors, now esta holders who have visited since 2008 on the same passport get fast tracked thru the passportscanners. Amusingly, the majority of people who knew about this in advance were those who weren't eligible, I guess those who have been before don't read up onit.
I stopped by the loft in LAX . The wifi and snacks were welcome but it's nothing special as a lounge. US domestic lounges really don't caterwell for international flyers as a general rule. It was a couple of minutesfrom my gate and to be honest, I might give it a miss next time. Boarding was priority as a PE ticket, just after 1[SUP]st[/SUP] class. I can’t remember (due to jet lag) if VA status got advanced boarding.

LAX-BOS, V America metal

The Virgin America PE flight was certainly a noticeable step up from their econ. Nice plane decor and very modern cabin. I was in row 3 aisle in a 3-3 formation. PE comes with complimentary food, beverage and entertainment. The best touch was that food and drinks were ordered via the touchscreen. Add to your cart, (if you're not in PE you swipe your CC to pay) and the FA will appear with your order. It's a really nice system that makes dining on board un-intrusive.V America entertainment was virtually identical to VA.

BOS-LAX, Dealing with Delta call centre as VA.
My return flight was on Delta and because my ticket was PE and they have no true PE product, I was in economy. I was aware of the comfort plus product,similar to United economy plus and knew that as a platinum I was eligible foran upgrade, gold can call 24 hours before and platinum 72 hours. I wasn't overly optimistic, given my past experiences with Delta as a VA platinum back in 2012, but I was pleasantly surprised at just how good the Delta staff were,even with a few hiccups with my ticket.
Let me first say, it isn't immediately obviously who to call to request the upgrade. The answer is the Delta skymiles number but I cant find this on any website. There was some issue with my recent WP qualification hadn't updated with Delta and saw me as gold. There was one economy plus seat left and they wanted me to call back with 24 hrs to go as Gold status. As there was only 1 seat left I knew it was unlikely to still be there by then, I called VA(twice, because with time difference, Velocity team hadn't opened yet - it should really be a 24 hr line), had them refresh my status and also got me a transpac points upgrade.
Calling back the Skymiles team they confirmed the Delta site saw me as platinum but delta's ticketing system didn't. They were great, a supervisor took over and after about 30 mins worked some magic and I got my economy comfort plus seat 72 hours ahead of flying. It was a middle seat, but given my experiences with US domestic carriers l imagined it would be better than regular seats (I was wrong, but that is another story).

BOS-LAX, BOS & SkyLounge
Skypriority check in at Logan was a breeze, great, friendly staff who checked my 2 bags through to my final destination and the sky priority lane was fast and efficient.No issues or even question with the second bag. Previously, my VA WP experience didn’t get Skypriority or even advanced boarding– even though the website suggested it way back in 2012, so this was a welcome change. No drama at all entering the lounge which was spacious enough, clean and with fast wifi. Hot and cold snacks were available as were a decent selection of drinks through the bar.
At the gate, I was surprised to see myself wait listed for an upgrade to first! Alas I was 6th in the queue with 2 seats available. Still it was nice to see and there were 18 on the list so on a quieter route there is a realistic chance. I did get a call to the gate attendant asking if I would like to move my middle economy comfort seat to my profile preferred aisle seat in the first row before comfort (but not comfort). She advised to stay put but said she thought she wanted me to have the option. I politely declined but was again impressed by the recognition. Priority boarding again was without incident. Delta have clearly set out a goal to recognise VA flyers… I really couldn’t fault any Delta staffer I met.

BOS-LAX, Delta metal.
On taking my seat I immediately regretted my decision not to move. For some one my height (175cm) the extra legroom just doesn't make a huge difference. Next time, I would take the aisle. On the plus side, the row did have power and USB ports, two of each across three seats. The service perks of better snacks were fun sized mars bars and goldfish crackers instead of pretzels. But the drinks were free. I bought a sandwich which wasn't awful. The entertainment was via a screen or your wifi device, though my Samsung S5 got a 'not compatible' error for their in-flight wifi entertainment. The iPad in the seat beside me worked fine. There was wifi but it was extortionate in price. Service was very Bostonian in that it was loud and friendly and very nice. After 6 hours I was happy to deplane

LAX-BNE, LAX and *A lounge
I had the option of making my own way to TBIT or waiting for a VA bus transfer which bypassed the need for security rescreen. Having been in TBIT before, I waited for the VA bus. It was a surreal experience. The 3 ground staff, with VA badges but not uniforms, were professional, but not friendly. While I waited for the bus (20 mins) quite a few pax in various emotional states arrived,knowing they were running late for the Sydney departure. The male ground crew member, who was by far the most approachable, said they would call the gate and either hold the plane or rebook the pax to the bne flight. The bus left but had quite a few pauses on the trip across runways (we stopped at a stop sign to give way to a 777!!!!!!) and it took just over 40 mins to get to TBIT. I think I'd have been quicker making my own way. At TBIT, I was reissued a VA boarding pass by an American VA ground crew member who was rather abrupt, and directed to the lounge. *A lounge entry was without issue and its a nice lounge, but honestly, not as amazing as I’ve heard some people claim. I had a quick beer and snack and went to the gate. The VA gate crew were really quite confused about the boarding sequence for status pax and were shouting across the gate to each other as to whether they should let a gold member through. It didn't bother me with the J ticket but was a contrast to the way the Delta staff operated on the previous flight. I have noticed consistently in my US trips as a VA status pax that US VA staff can be quite poor in their knowledge and generallyunhelpful compared to the general VA experience. In fact, I would say that Delta staff offer the best recognition of VA status that I have seen. Some contrast to my last encounter.

LAX-BNE VA Metal Business Class
[FONT=&amp]I had a Row 5 window for the trip which in my view is the best seat in the house.The VA Business class area is modern and nice but with its 2-3-2 layout, it is vastly inferior to EY and as a solo traveler I’d pick Delta business just for privacy – it may be on a par with UA, which is odd, because VA economy is so superior to Delta and United. When the person beside me lay out their bed flat,I literally had to jump over them to get in and out. I stayed to watch them makeup the bed just to see how they managed it with the space they had. I would imagine that a middle seat would be quite unpleasant for a 14 hour flight – I did have a look at the main Business section and it looked very crowded compared to other airlines J product… almost a PE feel in terms of privacy. Personally I find Redbox to be limited compared to other IFE systems but I think that is purely down to personal preference. (the first airline to sign a deal with Netflix will be the winner of IFE for ever) I really missed having wifi internet in business class.I have an upcoming AUH-SYD flight booked on VA metal and I think I’m going to call and see if I can change that to the closest EY flight. That said, the service is excellent, the food was as good as I’ve had in international business and the cabin manager did come down to introduce herself personally and handout customs cards. She also remembered my name when I was wandering around the cabin or at the bar, so she wasn’t just going by seat number, which was impressive. Still no specific WP recognition, so my guess is that VA have stopped this (or everyone in business was WP), again not a big deal but certainly a change from my previous experiences. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]BNE-NTL[/FONT]
Transfer from the international terminal to domestic is easy but a little slow. Annoyingly when I dropped my bags, there were upgrades available, but these can only be processed at the lounge. By the time I got to the lounge they were gone. I thought that this is a bit of an oversight for internationally connecting pax, oh well. VA flexi fares really offer nothing in terms of service. An FA came down with something in her hand and held it in front of my face asking “do you want you flexi fare snack”, I declined and was amused to find that there isn’t even a soft drink included in the ticket fair.I think Jetstar full price tickets offer this? The new NTL terminal is nice but very minimalist.

TL;DR version.
Virgin PE product isn’t quite as good as I remember and I’m not sure if it is reflective of the price difference to standard Y when compared toa J ticket. VA J has good service but the actual seat is lacking in privacy and comfort when compared to competing airlines. Delta consistently offered excellent recognition and perks for VA status and were probably better than VA themselves. VA recognition of status noticeably declined.

Based on this trip.
Delta and EY Business over VA for future flights.
Virgin America over Delta hard product for flights within US.

Last edited:
SYD-LAX, SYD & Etihad Lounge
My outbound leg was from Sydney, check in was standard at the VA Business counter, fast and professional, but no more so than usual. I stopped in the new Etihad lounge (when I eventually found it, I walked by it the first time) before the flight and was impressed.Personally I prefer the interior to the Koru lounge, but I was there at 10am, so Idon't know if the food and beverages are as good in the evening when compared to Koru, but I would suspect so, based on other Etihad lounges.

We travelled PER-LAX return in J just recently (I was WP, hubby SG) - we also had trouble finding the Etihad lounge in SYD and, like you, walked straight past it. We actually weren't overly impressed with our experience in SYD on the outbound leg - we flew in from PER on the red-eye (always a delightful experience - not) which arrived early, so we were over to the international terminal and through security by about 7.20am. When we finally found the Etihad lounge, the doors wouldn't open and there were no opening hours listed anywhere, so rang the buzzer. The lady who greeted us said that the lounge would not open until 8.40am which really wasn't what we wanted to hear as neither of us can sleep on flights so we were both a bit "zombied-out" and desperately wanted a shower and some breakfast. OK, we thought, we'll head to the Air NZ temporary lounge until the other lounge opens. Wrong. We (together with another WP who had the same idea) were refused entry to the Air NZ lounge and told VA1 passengers had to go to the Etihad lounge. Even after explaining that the Etihad lounge wasn't open yet and that we only wanted entry for a short time whilst we waited, we were told it made no difference and that we wouldn't be allowed in. They didn't say it was due to capacity issues, rather that we were VA1 passengers so "this isn't your lounge". Rather taken aback, we then went up to sit forlornly in the terminal for over an hour whilst we waited for the Etihad lounge to open.

The Etihad lounge was nice, although a lot smaller than I'd expected, with a reasonable range of food and nice showers etc but oh, the music!!!!! The entire time we were in the lounge, they were piping through quite loud jazz with "be-bop-doo-wop" type vocals, the one type of music I hate with a passion. It just wasn't our day, I don't think.

We were in Row 5 both ways (H + K to LA, A & C on the return leg) which we really enjoyed. On both flights, the main J cabin was quite full with only a couple of empty seats, so we were quite glad to be tucked away by the window in our snug little "cabin". Row 5 only had one empty seat on the way over and all seats were full on the way back. We also found the Red IFE to be quite limited, and were disappointed to find that the selection on the return journey had changed little from the previous month. The food was excellent on both sectors, the service was great to LA, not so much LAX-SYD sector although, as you experienced, the cabin manager did come through and greet me personally when handing out the Aussie customs cards.

This lines up with my experience too, both as VA WP and flying VA to the USA.

1. WP recognition: When I first became VA SG I regularly got the "welcome back" greeting upon boarding. As ekys says, meaningless but nice. I have not had it once since becoming WP (though have been called "mate" and "buddy" more often than I'd honestly like). Except once. And that was entering the SYD Qantas business lounge yesterday, first time I've flown QF in ages. I have no status at all on QF, but was on a paid J ticket. VA lounge staff are usually very friendly, and if not are at least really helpful and efficient.

Flying last year as VA SG on Virgin America and Delta USA domestic, VA status well-recognised everywhere and Sky Priority benefits were nice. No problems with any lounge entry at LAX, but no eligible lounge in my terminal at MCO.

2. VA metal: Like the OP, I flew PE from BNE to LAX. For some reason was in a bulkhead row. If I recall it was the only aisle seat left. Anyway, it was just awful. I am under 6', but could not straighten my legs and had to stick them out into the aisle right in front of the curtain. Constant interruptions/collisions with passers-by and carts. Service was nice, food was nice, seat was ok, IFE was fine for me, but the lack of legroom was a killer. Avoid bulkhead seats in VA PE! Was on an upgrade LAX-BNE, so in the main J cabin, aisle seat. As the OP mentions, very little privacy. I found the seat very comfortable for sitting, but not for sleeping. The cabin was, to me, also very hot and I couldn't sleep at all. Food and service in J were very good.

If flying VA to LAX, would people recommend economy if business isn't possible, rather than PE?

I'm going to be flying VA to LAX for the first time in September. Booked in PE on the way there and in J on the way back. Currently in row 10, so the bulkhead in PE. I'm only 5'7" but my absolute pet hate on long-haul flights is the inability to stretch my legs out fully. For those who have more experience on VA, will this be a problem in the bulkhead row, given my height or should I change to row 11 instead?
As for the EY lounge in SYD, I can't believe VA are directing passengers to that lounge where it only opens at 8:40am when VA1 leaves at 9:50am!!

As for the EY lounge in SYD, I can't believe VA are directing passengers to that lounge where it only opens at 8:40am when VA1 leaves at 9:50am!!

When we flew in mid-February, VA1's scheduled departure time was 11:40am, so I assume that if the flight now departs at 9.50am, that the EY lounge would open earlier accordingly.

When we flew in mid-February, VA1's scheduled departure time was 11:40am, so I assume that if the flight now departs at 9.50am, that the EY lounge would open earlier accordingly.
That's a relief!!

I'm going to be flying VA to LAX for the first time in September. Booked in PE on the way there and in J on the way back. Currently in row 10, so the bulkhead in PE. I'm only 5'7" but my absolute pet hate on long-haul flights is the inability to stretch my legs out fully. For those who have more experience on VA, will this be a problem in the bulkhead row, given my height or should I change to row 11 instead?

change to row 11.

change to row 11.
A couple of notes ...

Agree with the row thing in PE ... row 11 is fine ... row 10 is not ...

There's a sky club at MCO for DL patrons ... I have used it at least twice ...

I find the rather private First lounge area available at TBIT for VA WP rather nicer than the Star Alliance Business or either of the oneworld lounges.

Last edited:
we have flown row 10AC in PE...the great thing about it was that no one reclines back into you...but yep, leg space isnt awesome., but i didnt find it uncomfortable and I'm not short. Hubby hated the seats, said they were hard and he couldnt sleep/ get comfy.

MCO does have a nice delta lounge...clean and fairly quiet if your not there on a sunday when all the families are flying home from WDW.

The one thing I did find a tad sad is that I was turning Plat the LAX_SYD flight home, my hubby mentioned it to the cabin crew....they just smiled and moved on...nothing :(
And I was so excited...oh well.

Definitely row 11, though I think there is always the chance of a young crying baby in front of you.

No lounge in MCO for Virgin America, though.

nope.....we also found that a tad annoying....and because we were on VX first tickets, we still weren't able to get any delta lounge access being VA gold.....the mco hyatt does have a great restaurant with awesome burgers so that may be an alternative to sitting in the food court with the angry mob :)

Just completed SYD-LAX-LAS in VA J and have to agree -great service but cramped J cabin especially when you have a very large neighbour in the middle row. The bus ride at TBIT was a real eye opener from dodging planes and the Delta airlines Porche Cayenne zooming around! Overall did enjoy the experience but was wondering if anyone is in a position to compare the Delta J experience v VA J experience - I have another work trip in August and I'm thinking of giving Delta a go based purely on direct aisle access.

Just completed SYD-LAX-LAS in VA J and have to agree -great service but cramped J cabin especially when you have a very large neighbour in the middle row. The bus ride at TBIT was a real eye opener from dodging planes and the Delta airlines Porche Cayenne zooming around! Overall did enjoy the experience but was wondering if anyone is in a position to compare the Delta J experience v VA J experience - I have another work trip in August and I'm thinking of giving Delta a go based purely on direct aisle access.

we love the delta business class product syd-lax-syd well worth it....and yep the 3 across in VA business is a bit annoying.....although the only real difference was the delta crews are a tad older and maybe a bit more cranky.....I think i would fly delta now after experiencing the 2-3-2 config of VA.....but that will change when the new config is rolled out for VA I guess :)

Try delta... you will enjoy it

Every time I look at booking VX, the 1) cost of First/Business fares and, 2) the lack of lounge/access (both when compared to DL) means I have not travelled on them, nor am I likely to unless things change dramatically.

Every time I look at booking VX, the 1) cost of First/Business fares and, 2) the lack of lounge/access (both when compared to DL) means I have not travelled on them, nor am I likely to unless things change dramatically.

VX first class used to be the same $$$ as delta first lax-mco-lax..until last feb when they doubled in price over night. It spoilt us over the few years of doing that route, flying VX then having to go back to shabby 757 delta flights...but at least with delta its 3 bags not 2 bags with VX, and lounge access, and a few more choices re dep times.....but we did love VX...

will be interesting to see what $$$ VX will drop to on their new HNL runs from nov 15.

flew LAX-MCO in Delta Y, middle seat, no overhead space (late boarding due to excessive lounging) so the already minimal legroom taken up by my carry on under the seat in front. And IFE, which was a video screen that dropped from the ceiling over the aisle (remember those?) was broken. Worst flight in a long while. Return leg, MCO-LAX was on VX in a PE seat (don't think they call it that). It was so much better that there is n comparison, and the lack of lounge at MCA not a problem.

It was all booked on a VA ticket, all VA flight numbers. An odd quirk on that trip, September last year, was that the VA online booking system gave me SYD-MCO cost less than SYD-LAX.

Back on topic: good VA status recognition on all flights and at all lounges.

flew LAX-MCO in Delta Y, middle seat, no overhead space (late boarding due to excessive lounging) so the already minimal legroom taken up by my carry on under the seat in front. And IFE, which was a video screen that dropped from the ceiling over the aisle (remember those?) was broken. Worst flight in a long while. Return leg, MCO-LAX was on VX in a PE seat (don't think they call it that). It was so much better that there is n comparison, and the lack of lounge at MCA not a problem.

It was all booked on a VA ticket, all VA flight numbers. An odd quirk on that trip, September last year, was that the VA online booking system gave me SYD-MCO cost less than SYD-LAX.

Back on topic: good VA status recognition on all flights and at all lounges.

The only saving grace with delta is the price....the older aircraft are horrible....and the drop down screens are on average working 50% of the time! and even then it may be in black and white with a touch of green thrown in....one flight they had to rewind the tape 3 times to get it going properly.... I also find boarding for a domestic flight is kinda like the running of the bulls...

vx vx main cabin select looks good...more leg room and food.....if you have to fly Y then vx is the way to go....

The Frequent Flyer Concierge team takes the hard work out of finding reward seat availability. Using their expert knowledge and specialised tools, they'll help you book a great trip that maximises the value for your points.

AFF Supporters can remove this and all advertisements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back