Fly With Friends For Less - VA's dumbest promotion ever?

Discussion in 'Virgin Australia Velocity' started by smit0847, May 9, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. smit0847

smit0847 Established Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Melbourne
    My partner pointed out to me what poor value VA's latest promotion is - Fly with Friends | Virgin Australia

On Saver an Saver light fares the discount for booking 2-9 pax instead of only 1 is a maximum of $7 per person (even on MEL-PER), some discounts on shorter routes are a whole $3 pp. Normal specials are cheaper than some of these 'discounted' fares anyway,

This to me, is not even a promotion. A 'second seat 20% off' would be a much better promotion.

Why did they bother to promote it when its such a miniscule saving?

2. rioter

rioter Member

Nov 17, 2013
    Some of the business class fares attract a bigger saving but i agree. I actually laughed out lout when i saw the "savings"

3. rofl. It's peanuts !! Just give us a bag of peanuts as we board

4. under the radar

under the radar Established Member

Apr 8, 2010
    clever/emotive marketing...the average 'jo blo' sees 'FLY with FRIENDS for LESS'..they don't bother to research other options..(and often those other options have more flexible conditions/terms)....all they see is FLY/ FRIENDS/ LESS...they book/jump at them (impulse buying).. without reading the often 'restrictive' terms/conditions... happens in many other instances as well

5. rioter

rioter Member

Nov 17, 2013
    In most cases i would agree with you. However all they have to do is look an inch to the left to see they are only saving a few dollars.

6. hgwells01

hgwells01 Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Newcastle NSW
    Yes I was ready to take advantage of it and thought pfft! Didn't inspire me to grab a group of friends and head off somewhere.