Flagship Lounge Update

Discussion in 'American Airlines AAdvantage' started by serfty, Sep 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Late last month, AA opened a Flagship Lounge in JFK bringing the total to four. These are at LAX, ORD, LHR & JFK.

More pertinent information about why only four:

There also used to be a F/L in terminal A at DFW but this was closed.

Here are some reasons for closing the DFW F/L this edited from a post on FT:

2. MelUser

MelUser Established Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Melbourne
    (1) Can a Qantas Club Member (plus Guest) use this lounge when flying in Y through LAX (either on QF or AA)?

(2) Is it located in TBIT?

(3) Does answer to Q(1) differ if passengers are in QF J (whether upgraded or paid)?

3. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I will be there in a little under two weeks so will update what the lounge is like. No promises on photos though - currently looking at my camera and thinking of taking a hammer to the POS.

4. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    Hi MelUser - serfty is referring to the JFK Flagship lounge initially. The LAX lounge is in T4 and is only accessible to F passengers and OWE. QP members can use the Admirals CLub in T4 (which is a case of trun right rather than left when entering the admirals club).

5. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    NO, as simongr posted, only the A/C. As the Admirals Clubs have paid bars, being a QP member they should give you chits (valid for a free drink).

The F/L is located in T4, in TBIT a QP member would use the available oneworld business lounge facility when travelling on Qantas.

No.

6. MelUser

MelUser Established Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Melbourne
    Thanks.

(1) So by way of example: if you purchase a J fare from Mel/Syd to DFW (eg) this can put you into F on AA for the LAX-DFW leg. In this case you could presumably use the F/L in T4?

(2) Also, does anyone know why if you purchase a J fare from QF (ie on QF website) Mel/Syd to DFW, Mel/Syd to LAX is in J and LAX to DFW is in Y. If you buy the same fare from a travel agent (which is slightly cheaper) LAX to DFW is in F. Does anyone know why this is the case?

7. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    You presume wrongly. domestic US F does not allow for lounge access

Dave

8. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Nope. FL access is based on one of the following conditions:
    For QF Flights (not codeshares operated by AA), F boarding pass holders and OneWorld Emerald stats passengers.
    For AA flights, must have same-day international connection in F or be OneWorld Emerald with same-day international connection. Note that flights to/from Canada, Mexico or some other nearby non-US territories do not qualify.
    QF award tickets in business class will end up in Y for AA domestic flights. For paid tickets, you need to check the fare rules which should state what the booking class will be. If you book on a the QF Codeshare LAX-DFW, then they do offer some J and in the case of J being sold out (not necessarily meaning the F cabin is full) then you will be booked into Y according to the fare rules.

So perhaps QF is trying to book the QF codeshare and J is sold out, while the TA is booking the AA flight number and can use F (if the particular fare rules permit).

9. Keith009

Keith009 Established Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Brisbane / Sydney
    With the exception of Mexico City, the only destination in Mexico which falls within the definition of 'international' for the purpose of lounge access.

AA's lounge access policies

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Member

Nov 4, 2006
    BNE
    Can I clarify this please? If you are a non-AA OneWorld Emerald (e.g. QF WP), you get access to the F/L even when flying domestic, don't you?

I though the restriction applied only to AA members.

11. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Access to FL

Travel in F or Z class on a transcontinental AA flight ( note for those on OW ATW tickets, A Class does not get access )
    Travel "International" in 1st class on a OW airline ( based on AAs definition of International rather than Political )
    OW Emerald status ( Non AA ) departing on a OW Airline

Dave

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Yes, you are correct, and I have used this benefit many times.

13. Shano

Shano Established Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Melbourne
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    From Dave's post I am also assuming that a P class transcon flight would not give access to FL, even though a first class seat.

14. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I didn't think P was offered on the 3-class trans-con services.

15. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    There are 2 class transcontinental flights though and P will not get access

Dave

16. Keith009

Keith009 Established Member

Mar 6, 2005
    Brisbane / Sydney
    I've always wondered why they allow access for people on award tickets (Z) when they deny access to discount F (A, P). Is it because A and P are usually what people on K/YUP tickets book into?

17. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    An award seat is treated as having paid for 1st class. A is the upgrade class for eVIP/Mileage upgrades/xUP and P is the upgrade class for xUP fares. AA does not sell A or P class as a paid F , the exception being OW ATW tickets

Dave

18. Danger

Danger Senior Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Perth
    Does anyone have any recent experience with accessing the FL lounges as a QFWP (non-AA OWE) (i) on a US OW domestic flight in Y or (ii) on a US OW domestic flight in A?

I'm of the understanding that access should be granted in both instances but want to double-check.

19. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Should be no probs in either scenario. I've access LAX and ORD while in Y, and JFK and LAX in P.

20. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not a problem; until this year, I had accessed them all, but now MIA has opened. I have a routing to fix that in June ... ;)

From a QF WP perspective: If you raveling in the USA on a QF or an AA flight number from a terminal where an AA F/L is open, access is granted to said F/L and one guest.