first time applying for credit card

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

orangehenry

Hi,

I'm applying for a credit card for the first time. I just got a call from the company I applied with. They want a letter from my employer. What sort of information should I ask my employer for?

Thx.

Hi,

I'm applying for a credit card for the first time. I just got a call from the company I applied with. They want a letter from my employer. What sort of information should I ask my employer for?

Thx.

Surely the company would have mentioned that?? I would imagine its confirmation of employment including start date etc but I would ring the card company back and confirm!

Depends if you also full time or employed on contract, have a probationary period or anything like that etc if you are quite new...

But yes probably start date and you would probably need to supply a pay slip or two or a group certificate if you have been there for a bit...

Good luck! I got knocked back today for the 28 degrees....most likely due to having no credit history and low income (less than $10k... for now :p)

Probably in their best interest since I was intending on loading it up with $1k for an Asia trip in January so they would not have made any money out of me!

I got knocked back for the 28 degree card this year as well, but just recently took out that Citi saving account that comes with a Visa Debit card with a limit of $1000 and doesn't have any foriegn currency conversion fee on it...

I have been through a few credit cards over the years and never been asked for an employment letter. Usually, a phone call to the boss would suffice. In most cases, I didn't need to provide anything for them to decide whether the lender wanted to take me on or not.

Here's a heads up though - if you go for a home loan, the lower the card limit the more money you will be able to borrow for a loan. It's the limit that will count against you even if you don't owe anything on it.

Requests for credit limit reductions are illegal to be denied under consumer credit law, and worthy of consideration should you be in the position to apply for a home loan!

Some credit card providers ask for letter from employer.

Payroll or HR usually know what to put on these letters and it is more than likely just a confirmation of employment with possibly a start date and yearly salary.

There are other credit card providers who are happy with just a recent pay slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back