Finally, Lifetime Silver

Discussion in 'Qantas Frequent Flyer Program' started by Optics, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Optics

Optics Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Melbourne
    Just logged on to the QF site to check if the points from my CX flight to/from MEL/Seoul last week had posted (they had) and was very pleased to see I have finally made Lifetime Silver :D . I know this does not provide a lot of real benefit (been WP for a number of years, and likely to remain so for the foreseeable future), but at least I will now never have to pay to remain a QFF member, and so cannot lose my points. I will also always qualify for the 25% status credit, regardless of how much I fly in the future.

Now I will go home excitedly each night waiting for the personalised thankyou and congratulations letter from QF (I know I am only joking ;) ).

Only 140 more SC by 31/07 to get Partner Gold again, but that will depend on the success of this bid in Korea.

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Congratulations Optics :)

Don't forget the one annual QP guest pass you could sell on ebay :D

3. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Congratulations Optics! :)

Now I only have 5,395 SC's to go before lifetime silver so if you have a few to spare....

4. Optics

Optics Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Melbourne
    Thanks guys :) .

Kiwi Flyer, I will have to weigh the benefits of amount I could get on ebay vs the amount I could drink in a visit (should I not have WP or SG myself).

JohnK, I would really like to assist, but I need to get to Lifetime Gold first :D .

Optics

5. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Umm... QF dropped the annual fees several years ago now. You can still lose your points with 3 years of inactivity

Dave

6. Optics

Optics Member

Mar 14, 2006
    Melbourne
    Whoops :oops: . I have had SG or WP for quite a few years, and have not kept track of what happens without it. So that leaves the 25% status bonus as the only real benefit. To think how many hours I have spent in a metal tube to get that :shock: .

7. chrisb

chrisb Active Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Perth
    You'll get the extra baggage too - This can be useful for shopping holidays or long trips in the future.

Chrisb.

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    And the once a year lounge visit which you have anyway as long as maintaining gold or platinum.

9. Skyring

Skyring Established Member

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    5290 to go here - we're neck and neck!

10. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    When I came across AFF/FT in November 2004 I has approx 3700 SC's and LT PS was something that might happen in 5 years or so.

Thanks to the information and advice I have received on these forums this is no longer merely a future possibilty. I have doubled that figure and last week, I too clicked over that milestone. Furthermore, I have attained Partner SG something I considered unachievable two years ago. :cool:

Thanks to all for your assistance.... :D

11. bfmi

bfmi Intern

Feb 8, 2006
    Careful, this is a QF feature not a OneWorld feature. Get a ride on another OneWorld member and they might hit you with excess (CX always seem to take delight in charging me).

One of the reasons I like *A is uniform benefits across the member airlines.

12. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Congrats.

Now onwards and upwards to lifetime gold :D

(Unless of course you defect to AAnother AAirline )

13. Chucksta

Chucksta Active Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Australia
    If you average $8 per SC, that equates to $8*7000 = $56,000!
    (as a minimum)

That's how much Qantas has made in revenue over the years from your travels.

I think it is fantastic that FF can get a personal benefit from business/work travel.

I guess you can use the same logic and say a GOLD membership 'costs' $8*600 = $4800 to retain.

14. Dave Noble

Dave Noble Senior Member

Oct 10, 2005
    Heh.. I hit lifetime silver at the beginning of the month and so am now planning a migration to AAnother airline's scheme

Dave

15. vt01

vt01 Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Sydney
    I reckon the best benefit is never having to use economy check-in ever again..

16. Commuter

Commuter Active Member

Jun 14, 2006
    Mine is working out rather poorly. I seem to average about $14 per SC :( Unfortunately, I tend to fly on very heavily booked routes.

I'm getting there very slowly considering my QF spend comes to around $2,000 per month.

17. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    #17 JohnK, Jun 22, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2006
    OK. You have a challenge. Just a warning though I may not get there for another 6 or 7 years. :shock:

Congratulations on both counts. :)

Huge benefit!

$2,000 a month is a problem? :confused: That is almost half my yearly budget. :rolleyes:

18. Skyring

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Revenue maybe, but not profit. All those cans of fuel and dancing girls to be paid for, you see.

The fact that frequent flyers get a personal benefit from employer-paid travel is what drives loyalty schemes. A little bribe for employees to spend some more of the boss's money.

I pay for all my own travel, as do many of the other posters here.

19. Skyring

Oct 18, 2005
    Canberra, Australia
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    This time eighteen months back, the concept of being a Gold FF within striking distance of Plat was one I would have laughed at.

At my current rate, I'd say five years is looking achievable.

But I'm not entirely convinced that the Lifetime levels are worth heading for. Silver gives a few benefits, but when the best is that you don't have to queue with the common herd, hmmmm. I fly out of Canberra so there's a lot of elite travellers clogging up the Business lane anyway, and the QC usually has about as many folk inside as in the lounge outside.

Which gets me looking at Gold. QC membership is not to be sneezed at, but by the time I get there, which will be what, ten-fifteen years, I'm going to be 60-65 and possibly my travelling days will be getting short.

Most of my miles are earnt outside Australia anyway, so I'm thinking that for my next trip I might get a couple of flights with my QFF number - enough to hit Plat, and then do the rest with AA.

20. markis10

markis10 Veteran Member

Nov 25, 2004
    BNE & SYD

Hmm, 7000 status credits at an average of $10 per credit earned in revenue to Qantas, that benefit has cost someone $70000, is economy checkin that bad ????? Midweek I find sometimes it is quicker than the QP line at some airports!