Fiji worth visiting in DEC ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by trippin_the_rift, Oct 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. trippin_the_rift

trippin_the_rift Established Member

Apr 2, 2006
    Travel + Data
    Facebook:
    Thoughts? Comments? :)

2. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    um yes

avoids the crowds in winter, and only a small chance of cyclone

3. bravoecho1

bravoecho1 Member

Sep 10, 2004
    OOL
    We were in Fiji for three weeks from late November to mid December last year for our wedding and it was great.

Apparently their equivalent of a monsoon season rolled in after we left, but we had no problems when we were there.

4. pacblue

pacblue Intern

Dec 2, 2005
    Australia
    FIJI is GREAT in December.

We were there last year from Dec 6-14th, the weather was beautiful - and much hotter than in May-June, which are the months we've been there before.

Bula Vinaka !

5. little_moody_angel

little_moody_angel Junior Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Sydney
    I don't think you should go to Fiji THIS DEC!!! ;)

6. Gazza

Gazza Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Fiji, the people, the place – all beautiful

Don’t worry about coups (I have been there during the last couple). They tend to be civilized affairs (the Fijian military are exceptionally professional). Also the “drama” tends to be concentrated in Suva (most tourist hotels are on the coral coast between Suva and Nadi-somewhat removed from any trouble in Suva). Also people in the west (where Nadi airport is located) have “western disease” and don’t care about anything beyond a full belly and having a good time.

Just smile, say Bula and if you get in a tricky situation say “I think Waisale Serevi is the best sevens player ever” This will lead to a 3 day party based around good food, Fiji bitter, Kava and talk about how rugby sevens is the game that god designed Fijians for.

Incidentally dont talk about politics, the army or race relations - its just bad form for a outsider.

Gazza

7. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Alternate question.

When is the best time of year to visit Fiji?

8. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    winter, or if don't like crowds spring

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Oz winter? LOTFAP Winter? or Fijian Winter?

10. clifford

clifford Established Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Canberra / London
    I agree that the Fijian people are beautiful.

However, if a coup does happen, I wouldn't want to be in the way of a stray bullet..

:)

11. pacblue

pacblue Intern

Dec 2, 2005
    Australia
    Don't worry about a coup.

There probably won't be one - this is a "war of words" between Qarase (the PM) and Bainimarama (military leader). It's been going on for years.

I was there for the last coup - the coup happens on the East coast - the tourism happens (predominantly) on the West coast.

Fijians NEVER involve outsiders in their politics.

Go --- and have a great time.

12. Mal

Mal Enthusiast

Dec 25, 2004
    London
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    While there is probably nothing bad about going to a country where a peaceful coup is in progress, there are more things to weigh up.

Eg - your travel insurance. Does it cover you if you enter a country in a coup rather than cancelling your ticket? What does DFAT say about the situation - some insurance is not valid if you enter a country that the Aust. Govt has advised you not to enter.

Etc. Etc.

13. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    southern hemisphere winter

14. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Well I was there for the first coup and travelled the back of nadi with an indian taxi driver.Went through several roadblocks.As my driver said I was his ticket through.Met up with Col. Rambuka at the Sheraton.
    Was there 2 days after George Speight did his little trick.Absolutely no problems and met with PM Qaraise at the Sheraton.Funny how their leaders head off to Denarau when there is the first sign of trouble.
    Funniest sight then was the PM's bodyguard trying to serve himself at the buffet whilst holding onto his Uzi tucked inconspicuously under his suit coat.I helped out by holding his plate earning the thanks of the PM.
    My next trip is April so expect the coup then.December should be safe!

15. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Note to self. Check drron's schedule when visit Fiji etc. Say you don't also happen to visit Thailand sometimes?

16. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    If I remember rightly it was about 15 years ago was there for a Thai coup.But one out of 20 or so really doesnt count.

17. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    so you must be overdue then - when is your next trip to Thailand?

18. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Probably October 2007.Mark it in your calendar.

19. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    ta - next Oct I'll route through SIN or HKG instead of BKK

20. drron

drron Enthusiast

Jul 4, 2002
    Sunshine Coast
    Unfortunately I will be flying in to BKK via HKG and flying home to BNE via SIN.On consideration though I doubt that the Chinese government or the Democratic State of Singapore would take much note of a broken down Drron.