Feldman40 | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Feldman40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feldman40

:confused:Hi. I am a first time user of the site. I plan to travel with my family (4 adults) to Europe next year. I have accumulated 800,000 Qantas points and I am looking for advice as to the best way of using these points. I was hoping to get everyone there and back in business class. I have platinum status with lifetime gold and my wife has gold status. Any feedback would be appreciated. Any further advice on the best way to get around Europe once we are there would be great.

NM

Flights
My Map
Welcome Feldman40.

The biggest difficulty will be finding 4 business class award seats on the same flights. Are you willing to take different routings and split into two parties of 2?

The only advise I can give is the usual about being flexible with dates and creative with routings. Note that CX award flights do not show on-line, so they must be booked via the phone and that will cost an extra 2500 points for each ticket.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
Feldman40, my welcome to AFF to NM's.

With 800,000 pts you will only be able to take the four of you there one way in business, and have to do the other direction in economy (or on each flight put two people in economy and two in business). This will take 4x128K + 4x64K = 768K pts.

Note also on CX in addition to the extra 2.5K the redemptions cost more than on QF - it would be 139K one way in J or 75 one way in Y (so if you could manage it one way J on CX and the other Y on QF, for the four it would cost 822K.).

wallacej

Flights
My Map
This is not an area of my experience, however would Feldman be better off buying tickets, and upgrading to bus, or even first class. We all know that most often the best value of points is to use them for international upgrades..

I stand to be corrected on this one though????

NM

Flights
My Map
dajop said:
Note also on CX in addition to the extra 2.5K the redemptions cost more than on QF - it would be 139K one way in J or 75 one way in Y (so if you could manage it one way J on CX and the other Y on QF, for the four it would cost 822K.).
That is where the OneWorld Award becomes viable.

thadocta

wallacej said:
This is not an area of my experience, however would Feldman be better off buying tickets, and upgrading to bus, or even first class. We all know that most often the best value of points is to use them for international upgrades..
Actually, I beg to differ on that point. Given the small difference between the points cost of an award (and the guaranteed J class seat) and the cost of the upgrade (with no guarantee that the upgrade will come through, after shelling out the $$$$ for the ticket) I think that upgrading is hardly the best value.

Looking at SYD-LHR for example, a J class award will set you back 128K points each way. A discount Y to J upgrade will cost you 96K points, not guaranteed, and this after you would have paid over $2K for the actual fare.

I myself would be looking for the award flight right through in order to ensure the J class seat and service.

Dave

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
NM said:
That is where the OneWorld Award becomes viable.
But not for four pax with 800K pts, as 4 x 282.5K = 1.13m points are needed. If this wasn't a factor the OneWorld Award is much better value than two one-way J awards.

NM

Flights
My Map
dajop said:
But not for four pax with 800K pts, as 4 x 282.5K = 1.13m points are needed. If this wasn't a factor the OneWorld Award is much better value than two one-way J awards.
Again I am reminded why I no longer use QF FF. With AAdvantage its 160,000 points return on F between Australia and Europe. Or a business class OneWorld ATW itinerary from 150,000 points per person.

With QF, 800,000 points is not going to be enough to get 4 people to Europe in business class. SYD-LHR is 10,500 miles and therefore is Zone 10 which is 128K points each way in business class, or 256K points return per person, or 1,024,000 point for 4 x business class returns.

So the OP either has to wait until they have a few more points available, settle for business class one way and economy or BA WT+ the other way, purchase economy and hope/pray for 4 upgrades, or send 2 in business class and 2 in economy.

dajop

AFF Supporter
Flights
My Map
NM said:
Again I am reminded why I no longer use QF FF.
I've carefully structured my upcoming DCIRC26 to get me across the LTG line on QFF, so will now have to brush up on the candy thief threads to make the switch to AA. It sounds like everyone who has switched hasn't looked back.

futaris

AFF Supporter
You may want to consider leaving from Northern Australia to Europe, or trying to get on one of the shorter direct european flights.

ASP-DRW-SIN-FRA is Zone 9
CNS-DRW-SIN-FRA is Zone 9
PER-SIN-FRA/LHR is Zone 9
ADL-SIN-ROM is Zone 9

Zone 9 is 9600mi / 112000 points for Business.

NM

Flights
My Map
futaris said:
You may want to consider leaving from Northern Australia to Europe, or trying to get on one of the shorter direct european flights.

ASP-DRW-SIN-FRA is Zone 9
CNS-DRW-SIN-FRA is Zone 9
PER-SIN-FRA/LHR is Zone 9
ADL-SIN-ROM is Zone 9

Zone 9 is 9600mi / 112000 points for Business.
I would avoid the first two options if planning on business class. The DRW-SIN is operated by Jetstar Asia using A320 single class aircraft.

Assuming you mean Rome, Italy (airport code FCO) as the destination for the fourth option, then its not available with QF, nor any OneWorld partners, so that won't work either as a Zone 9 award. Also note that QF81 ADL-SIN only operates twice weekly as an A330, so finding 4 business class award seats on that flight is going to be very unlikely.

PER is viable, but getting to/from PER from the east coast for 4 people may add considerable cost to the exercise.

futaris

AFF Supporter
There are a few flights SIN-FCO in July 08. See this thread. Don't like your chances in Business though.

I think CNS-DRW is going to be Jetstar Australia, and not Jetstar Asia, according to this thread.

QF WP

Flights
My Map
Harking back to thadocta's comment on the previous page, I see the negative of 4 x award tickets (whether Y or J) is the inflexibility that award tickets have (changing flights [airlines], dates, missing flights etc). Of course, if I am wrong, I'm sure somebody with more knowledge will correct me.

Whereas with a paid discount Y ticket, I understand there is more flexibility for changes (than award tickets) although the downside is that the J seat may not be available on the changed flights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

• jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea9