Feedback to BA re recent inicidents on my flights | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Feedback to BA re recent inicidents on my flights

Status
Not open for further replies.

markis10

Veteran Member
Joined
Nov 25, 2004
Messages
30,091
I thought I would share my feedback sent to BA on a recent WT+ flight to SIN, would be interested in hearing if anyone has had a similar complaint/feedback:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Although I am a frequent flyer with Gold Status as part of the Qantas Frequent Flyer Program (lifetime Silver Status) I have never had the opportunity of flying World Traveller Plus with you before and would like to feedback to you some concerns and suggestions as a result of my experience.

On boarding BA15 at SIN for my return to SYD, I discovered that a customer was sitting in my seat (21J), I mentioned this to him and suggested he was in the wrong seat at which stage he told me that someone had taken his seat and would not move. I managed to get the attention of a Club World CSO and she verified that the customer should have been in 22F and asked him to move to 22E as an alternative. The customer then got up and verbally abused me as part of his move to his seat, calling me a rude c**t to quote one part of the brief verbal abuse.

I considered making a further complaint to police as I did not appreciate being treated this way however the flight was running late and such action may have resulted in a further delay to the entire aircraft which in my judgement was not fair.

I appreciate that British Airways cannot be held responsible for customers actions however as I also had another customer sitting in my seat on the outbound leg (BA16 ex SYD xxth June - again 21J), obviously the extra leg room in the first row is attractive to those not allocated it, fortunately on the first occasion the customer was not so insulting when I tried to claim my seat! I would like to suggest a little closer supervision of the seating of the cabin during the boarding process might be a way of preventing similar unpleasant experiences in the future, I realise the cabin crew are busy at that time but I am sure my experience is not a rare one, although the layout of the 777 may have contrinuted to the lack of supervising crew in the WT+ cabin.

On another note could I also kindly suggest the cabin crew advise customers of the upcoming meal choices when offering a wine for the meal as part of the pre meal drink service, some of us like to match our wine with our food and red wine is not the best with fish in my humble opinion, at least cusotmers would be able to make a more informed choice if such informaiton was volunteered in the first place.

With the above mentioned incidents aside I found my first trip with BA in WT+ to be of excellent value and I look forward to joining you once again in the future, although perhaps I might board at first opportunity rather then remaining to the flight is called in the lounge!
 
Last edited:

simongr

Enthusiast
Joined
Jul 10, 2006
Messages
14,229
Sounds like a quite good experience compared some of the QF efforts that people report :)

It will be interesting to see if they specifically respond or even care. I have sat in the wrong seat in error before and was terribly embarassed - I could never consider taking someone's seat :(
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
I would be interested in their response. I've had to deal with seat snatchers on multiple occassions on many airlines, including BA but thankfully have not had bad responses thus far.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
I accidently sat in someone elses seat on TIP-LHR recently. I had a BP for 3A and accidently sat in 2A. I had obviously lost the ability to count successfully past 1 by that time in my holiday when it came to seat rows :)

Dave
 

Mal

AFF Supporter
Joined
Dec 25, 2004
Messages
12,253
Flights
My Map
I have a feeling that BA's response will be a canned response similar to most responses they send back:

Too bad, so sad. Hope you fly with us again. If you were a BA Gold member, then we might have thrown you a few miles.

However, they may write it in a more politically correct manner than my interpretation...
 

Danger

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
6,047
I flew WT+ from LHR to JFK in mid-May and have written to BA complaining that for the extra $600, it wasn't worth it. I have received a reply saying they have forwarded my letter to their Australian office for a full response Other than that, no experience wih rude passengers or mis-seating.
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
Danger said:
I flew WT+ from LHR to JFK in mid-May and have written to BA complaining that for the extra $600, it wasn't worth it. I have received a reply saying they have forwarded my letter to their Australian office for a full response Other than that, no experience wih rude passengers or mis-seating.
In what way not worth it ? you get the same food etc, just some more space. For me i like the extra space. so a few hundred extra is worth it.
If you don't think its worth the extra don't spend it. Like osme people say J is not worth if, ir F for that matter.
E
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
Further, I didn't think anything extra is promised in WTP (certainly not on the literature I've seen) apart from the extra space.

Oh and you do get served first ahead of the WHY cabin, and get to drink wine in a real glass as opposed to a plastic one. ;)
 

Danger

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
6,047
For what I received, I don't think I got my $600 worth. The better seat is the only thing I believe I got out of it. The food is the same with Y and the drinks are complimentary there, too.

In BA's own literature they do promote WT+ as offering more than Y. Their website states:

• A separate cabin with up to a maximum of 5 rows.
• Wider, more comfortable seats with more legroom.
• Complimentary on board newspaper.
• Complimentary drinks from the bar (excluding champagne).
• Priority meal service offering fresh contemporary meals.
• In-seat power for laptops and individual in-seat telephones.
• Fares eligible for entry into the British Airways Executive Club.

It's been over 12 months since I flew BA in Y but if I remember correctly the only thing Y and WT+ have in common is the complimentary drinks. Y, for example, certainly doesn't provide eligibility to the Executive Club.

So while there is definitely more on offer I don't believe it was worth $600.

It was my first time flying WT+ and now that I have, I won't again. I would settle for AA with more points (L fare).
 

JonnoP

Junior Member
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
48
I will be using the WT+ service tomorrow. Seat Allocation 21J and 21K for my wife. Lets hope no rude people try and take our seats.

I'll send an update and let you all know how it goes.

-JP
 

Keith009

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 6, 2005
Messages
4,443
Danger said:
In BA's own literature they do promote WT+ as offering more than Y. Their website states:

• A separate cabin with up to a maximum of 5 rows.
• Wider, more comfortable seats with more legroom.
• Complimentary on board newspaper.
• Complimentary drinks from the bar (excluding champagne).
• Priority meal service offering fresh contemporary meals.
• In-seat power for laptops and individual in-seat telephones.
• Fares eligible for entry into the British Airways Executive Club.
So - how did your experience detract from what's advertised?

Danger said:
It's been over 12 months since I flew BA in Y but if I remember correctly the only thing Y and WT+ have in common is the complimentary drinks. Y, for example, certainly doesn't provide eligibility to the Executive Club.
You do not need to be booked on a qualifying fare to be eligible for membership of BAEC now. I believe an address in the South West Pacific still does not qualify for membership though.

Having said that, certain Y fares used to qualify for membership - Y, B and H, and these are the only Y fare classes presently eligible for Tier Points. But these fares are flex and are also more expensive than discount WTP (T fare) though.
 

SilenceFOOL!

Junior Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2007
Messages
15
Crikey! I'm having trouble getting my head around the fact that a toff in WT+ would
actually consider uttering that word aloud....over a seat...that they stole!
Don't think Ive ever heard someone down the back say that...about anything.
What a rude b@astard. You should have tripped him over as he skulked off :eek:
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Danger said:
So while there is definitely more on offer I don't believe it was worth $600.

It was my first time flying WT+ and now that I have, I won't again. I would settle for AA with more points (L fare).
I don't see how , if they provided that which they offer, that there is a real grounds to complain that it was not worth the additional money. I can see taking a view that you would rather fly AA in economy next time, but if they gave you what they claim to offer, I see no problem

Personally I would pay extra for WT+ and have indeed paid an extra $400-$500 to do so and find it a lot more comfortable than Economy plus find the laptop power v useful

WT+ earns more points than regular economy ( unless you are specifically referring to crediting to AA on a UK-US flight )

Crediting to QF, WT+ earns 100% miles plus 10% COS bonus plus full economy Status credits , whilst AA L class earns 50% miles and discount economy SCs

Crediting to AA ( other than UK-US) , WT+ again earns 100% miles plus 10% COS bonus plus 150% qpoints whilst AA L class will earn 100% miles and 100% qpoints

Dave
 

Evan

Established Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2006
Messages
3,168
Today i am not complaining at all about WT+, i just got Op-Up'ed from WT+ to J :) I have been so lucky the past 12 months to have scored a few like this.
Anyway i guess like anything if the customer thinks its worthwile they will pay for it.
E
 

Danger

AFF Supporter
Joined
Jun 19, 2006
Messages
6,047
Okay.

First, I'm the first to admit that I have probably fallen victim to some very fancy marketing on BA's part. The speel on their website suggests, to me at least, that you're getting a far superior product in WT+. Thumbs up to their marketing team.

Second, how did my experience detract? I didn't receive, nor was I offered, a newspaper. A small point but I'm firmly of the opinion that whatever you advertise, you provide, even if that means a toothpick! The 'contemporary food' is no different from Y. Again, I'll admit their marketing has got me. As for the glassware instead of plastic, I can't remember which it is but I think it's only champagne that's served in a glass, not other beverages. Seems a little illogical too me.

Third, my complaint to them was based on the fact that I believe a $600 premium is too high for what they offer and the experience I had.

Fifth, I understand WT+ earns more FF points than Y. However, the alternative is 0.25 in BA's Y whereas AA obviously offer more. Again, I don't feel the $600 is worth the extra points.

Finally, my apologies to the original poster for going off topic.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Danger said:
Okay.

First, I'm the first to admit that I have probably fallen victim to some very fancy marketing on BA's part. The speel on their website suggests, to me at least, that you're getting a far superior product in WT+. Thumbs up to their marketing team.

Second, how did my experience detract? I didn't receive, nor was I offered, a newspaper. A small point but I'm firmly of the opinion that whatever you advertise, you provide, even if that means a toothpick! The 'contemporary food' is no different from Y. Again, I'll admit their marketing has got me. As for the glassware instead of plastic, I can't remember which it is but I think it's only champagne that's served in a glass, not other beverages. Seems a little illogical too me.

Third, my complaint to them was based on the fact that I believe a $600 premium is too high for what they offer and the experience I had.

Fifth, I understand WT+ earns more FF points than Y. However, the alternative is 0.25 in BA's Y whereas AA obviously offer more. Again, I don't feel the $600 is worth the extra points.

Finally, my apologies to the original poster for going off topic.

If they failed to offer newspapers then that is a small issue that was wrong

in my experience, they had wine glasses rather than plastic cups for the wine

istr that they make no claim that the meals are any different to regular economy ( which indeed they are not ) and on their site on cabin descriptions, for both WT and WT+ they do state

World Traveller Plus and World Traveller
Enjoy a tasty three course meal as well as a complimentary bar service.

There is a big difference in FF earning between WT and WT+ and even between L class on AA crediting to QF there is still a big difference

Whether the extra cost is worth it is subjective. Many people would think that paying extra for business or 1st class is not worth it , though I would not expect the airline to offer much of an apology/compensation if someone felt it was too expensive

The fare differential is not $600 on all routes when purchasing WT+ tickets, it does depend on the route

Dave
 

Alan in CBR

Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2004
Messages
308
Dave Noble said:
I accidently sat in someone elses seat on TIP-LHR recently. I had a BP for 3A and accidently sat in 2A. I had obviously lost the ability to count successfully past 1 by that time in my holiday when it came to seat rows :)

Dave
Well it's an easy mistake to make. The seats are crammed together so tightly up there in the nose section.

Fortunately finding 1A is a little easier. Keep going until you bump into the cupboard, then turn left.
 

sully

Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2003
Messages
238
My company's policy is that we have to fly WhY generally without exception. Trips to the UK on WT+ are allowed and sometimes on shorter flights to SIN or BKK if the pricing is right. When we do fly economy it is generally the cheapest flight avaialble and so the status credit balance suffers as well. Discounted BA/QF flights earn 30 one way whereas there is a guarantee of getting the full economy SCs (60) on BA's WT+.

The seating is much better IMO and like a lot of others I too try to get the front seat. I have NEVER experienced the rudeness of other passengers and I would hope this is a very rare event. What a pick!

As for the wine I have simply asked what is availaable and made my decision on that basis. The staff are generally quite good anyway if you want a second, third or ........ bottle. Not getting a newspaper is no big deal but if people see that as important then oh well. :-|

I like this product and wish that more airlines did it.
 

Dave Noble

Senior Member
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
6,419
Alan in CBR said:
Well it's an easy mistake to make. The seats are crammed together so tightly up there in the nose section.

Fortunately finding 1A is a little easier. Keep going until you bump into the cupboard, then turn left.
Indeed. It is so crammed in the nose that it is easy to make mistakes. Ya quite right about finding 1A, so much easier than those other rows :)

Dave
 

NM

Moderator
Joined
Aug 27, 2004
Messages
15,792
Flights
My Map
I has a seat thief on my last BA flight. I have used my FF status to pre-allocate the front row A seat on a BA 737 flight LHR-FRA. When I boarded there were two people sitting in A/C deep in conversation. The FA suggested I sit a few rows back on the other side where I could have DEF seats to myself, which I did.

Just before departure, an FA approached the two men sitting in the AC seats and asked to inspect their BPs. It seems one was allocated 1C and the other was down the back in EuroTraveller. He was told he had to move back down the bus and that he was not able to upgrade himself because he wanted to sit with his friend. Both me stood up and walked to the back to the plane. It seems a voluntary downgrade is acceptable while self-upgrade is not.

So it does seem common for BA passengers to choose their own seats once on board.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Community Statistics

Threads
81,222
Messages
1,872,384
Members
49,052
Latest member
charles182
Top