Fee -Free Credit cards and reward Programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

arun

With the credit card and reward program fees soaring, I though a thread on fee-free cards and programs usually available to affinity groups would be useful. I am starting with a few.

1. CPA AMEX Gold cards available to CPA Australia members (incl students, I believe) are fee-free. There is no fee for supplementary card. No fee for Ascent rewards program as well. You get 1 point for 1 dollar upto $5000 in an year and 1.5 points over $5000. You get all the AMEX Gold credit card previleges. 1 point converts to 1 QF point. IMHO, excellent value.

2 Westpac Altitude Gold card : Free to customers with a "Rocket Loan" package. You pay a Loan package fee of $300.00 pa. There are no account keeping fee on the offset package. You get the Gold credit card free, a supplementary card free and there are no fees for reward programs. You get 1 point for every dollar spent. BUT, beware - if you are going to convert the rewards points to QF, you only get 0.5 QF point for 1 Westpac Altitde point. It is f

alling out of my favour, but I am keeping it because it is free.

<<<You may like to check this link out. It will display all the fees & interest rates in one location.

http://www.cannex.com.au/surveys/credcard.htm >>>

Nice list, but FF info not included.

Is there a credit card that gives FF to the Star Alliance group available in Australia? I use United Airlines Credit Card from the US at the moment. The 2% 'currency conversion' fee is killing me. Would like to continue with United/Star Alliance if possible as I travel to the US yearly.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Yes, I searched that same cc table when Ansett went bust and with it went my Star Alliance link. Being in Perth, I'm stuck getting to SYD and from there onwards to SFO via United FF on my yearly trip. I think I'm down to Singapore Airline to make the trip from here to SFO entirely FF.

That is why I am interested in Krisflyer or some other Star Alliance cc. Thanks for your help. All the best

yanknperth said:
<<<You may like to check this link out. It will display all the fees & interest rates in one location.

http://www.cannex.com.au/surveys/credcard.htm >>>

Nice list, but FF info not included.

Is there a credit card that gives FF to the Star Alliance group available in Australia? I use United Airlines Credit Card from the US at the moment. The 2% 'currency conversion' fee is killing me. Would like to continue with United/Star Alliance if possible as I travel to the US yearly.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Don't have information about the redemption (not always 1:1) rates but:

Westpac Altitude Points may be converted to Air New Zealand Airpoint Dollars

American Express Points may be converted to Singapore Airlines or Thai

yanknperth said:
I use United Airlines Credit Card from the US at the moment.

Curious to know how you scored a UA credit card from here in Australia. Do you have a US Social Security Number because as far as I am aware that's always seems to be the stumbling point for getting any sort of credit in the US.

This is a topic of great interest to me as it seems that the only Star Alliance Airline where you can accrue points for from credit cards is Air NZ.

Kiwi Flyer said:
IIRC also ANZ link to Kris Flyer

Correct you are:

1 reward point for each $1.50 spent.

ANZ Rewards Card:
Qantas
Redeem 750 Reward Points for 500 Qantas Frequent Flyer points.

Air New Zealand
Redeem 2,000 Reward Points for 15 Airpoints Dollars.

Singapore Airlines
Redeem 4,000 Reward Points for 2,000 KrisFlyer Miles.

US credit card

cssaus,
Forgot to mention - yes, I'm a transplanted Yank with the much sought-after Social Security Number lol! My main problem with the US card is that they charge a 2% foreign exchange rate, which kills me as I live off of my credit card to accommodate my snow skiing passion every year at Lake Tahoe/Reno Nevada.
As a matter of interest, just today scored round-trip in late Jan 2006 for next years ski trip. Had choice of a good connection UAL from SYD to RNO, but had to get myself from Perth to SYD - about $480 Virgin or Qantas with 9 hour layover in SYD. Am instead flying ANZ all the way (60k points) - BUT have to endure 13 hours in Aukland. I justify that by using the $480 I saved as a stake at the coughs table in Reno.
Does anyone know about BankWest 'Rewards' card for us over '50s'? I can't call until Monday, but the website says you can use your 'points' on ANY airline at ANY time.... must be some small print there somewhere.. anyone know?
Cheers

Re: US credit card

yanknperth said:
Does anyone know about BankWest 'Rewards' card for us over '50s'? I can't call until Monday, but ...
Now, NM puts 2 and 2 together and whishes yanknperth a happy 50th birthday on Monday :p .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back