Family Transfers | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Family Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
My wife has 925 points in her QFF NB account and they expire next month. She won't be flying any time soon so they will be wiped in due course. I tried to transfer them to my account but... "computer says noooooo...". Specifically, it said:
qantas.com.au said:
You are unable to use Family transfers as you need a minimum of 5000 points to be eligible to transfer points to a family member.
I checked the T's&C's and found the following:
qantas.com.au said:
11. Family Transfers
11.1 Once in each 12 consecutive month period a Member may transfer some of their Points to an Eligible Family Member, on the following basis:
(a) the Eligible Family Member receiving the Points must be a Member before the transfer is made;
(b) the Member transferring the Points must specify the name and membership number of, and nature of their relationship with, the Eligible Family Member receiving the Points;
(c) a transfer must be for at least 5,000 Points but no more than 100,000 Points, and must be in whole numbers of Points;
(d) once Points have been transferred, the transfer cannot be reversed or cancelled by either the Member transferring the Points or the recipient; and
(e) Qantas is not responsible for any incorrect transfers made at qantas.com where the incorrect transfer is not due to an error by Qantas, its employees or agents, and in such circumstances will not refund any Points incorrectly or mistakenly transferred.

11.2 Members must not require or receive any consideration (in the form of a payment or otherwise) for any transfer to an Eligible Family Member.

11.3 Members should note that such a transfer may have tax implications. Members are advised to check with their accountant or tax adviser for further information.

11.4 Family transfers may be made on this website, or by such other method advised by Qantas from time to time.

Link to page.
So... it looks like it should be possible for me to transfer 5,000 points to my wife and for her to transfer 5,925 points back to me. Do others agree with my interpretation? And has anyone actually done this successfully?
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
Yada Yada said:
So... it looks like it should be possible for me to transfer 5,000 points to my wife and for her to transfer 5,925 points back to me. Do others agree with my interpretation? And has anyone actually done this successfully?
Just check that one transfer per year does not mean a transfer in or out. Which would mean you could use your transfer going one way but not coming back.

At worst your other option is to transfer 5,000 points into her account now to maintain some activity in the account, which would mean points will not expire for another 3 years, and if you can't transfer back now then wait 12 months before you can transfer the 5,925 points back again.
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
JohnK said:
Yada Yada said:
So... it looks like it should be possible for me to transfer 5,000 points to my wife and for her to transfer 5,925 points back to me. Do others agree with my interpretation? And has anyone actually done this successfully?
Just check that one transfer per year does not mean a transfer in or out. Which would mean you could use your transfer going one way but not coming back.

At worst your other option is to transfer 5,000 points into her account now to maintain some activity in the account, which would mean points will not expire for another 3 years, and if you can't transfer back now then wait 12 months before you can transfer the 5,925 points back again.
John - I hadn't though about the transfer causing activity on the account, thereby helping keep the points current!

Thanks.
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,394
Flights
My Map
Not a problem with doing that; when Family transfers first came in late November '04 Mrs Serfty had over 5k, mini serfty had 3½K. Shortly thereafter, mini serftyhad over 8½K andMrs Serfty had nil. Not too long after that, they both had zip and my balance increased by over 8½K. 8)

Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D
 

Yada Yada

Established Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
1,872
serfty said:
Not a problem with doing that; when Family transfers first came in late November '04 Mrs Serfty had over 5k, mini serfty had 3½K. Shortly thereafter, mini serftyhad over 8½K andMrs Serfty had nil. Not too long after that, they both had zip and my balance increased by over 8½K. 8)

Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :lol
Thanks serfty. I just performed the operation successfully! :D
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
serfty said:
Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D
Cough! What is wrong with being a pleb? Some of us just do not have the luck to make it to scum status. :(
 

straitman

Moderator
Joined
Apr 27, 2003
Messages
16,829
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
serfty said:
Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D
Cough! What is wrong with being a pleb? Some of us just do not have the luck to make it to scum status. :(
JohnK

We'll happily call you scum if you like :!: 8) 8)
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
straitman said:
We'll happily call you scum if you like :!: 8) 8)
You can call me anything you like, I don't mind. You can even call me late for dinner. :D
 

kpc

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 11, 2003
Messages
6,005
great minds...

serfty said:
Not a problem with doing that; when Family transfers first came in late November '04 Mrs Serfty had over 5k, mini serfty had 3½K. Shortly thereafter, mini serftyhad over 8½K andMrs Serfty had nil. Not too long after that, they both had zip and my balance increased by over 8½K. 8)

Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D
I was only thinking of this the other day...how to transfer the 1500 expiring points from my son's account to mine...I thought about the above but wasn't sure it was doable and did not want to risk orphaning another 5000 points. Anyway, thnkas to you guys, I have an extra 1500 points in my account tonite :D
 

serfty

Moderator
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
40,394
Flights
My Map
JohnK said:
serfty said:
Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D
Cough! What is wrong with being a pleb? Some of us just do not have the luck to make it to scum status. :(
JohnK,

I'm sure you are soon to join the ranks of the upper tiers, where one can change an award booking (revalidate) with incurring a 2½k penalty!
 

JohnK

AFF Supporter
Joined
Mar 22, 2005
Messages
41,162
serfty said:
JohnK,

I'm sure you are soon to join the ranks of the upper tiers, where one can change an award booking (revalidate) with incurrening a penalty!
I would love to, as this was the purpose of the status runs but have only received negative feedback from Finnair and QF as I posted in the other thread. That is 135 SC's they have stolen from me. Very disheartening. To start from scratch again when I was so close is not easy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFF on Air Podcast

  • jb747’s Stellar Career with Qantas – AIR013
    Sat, 15 Jun 2019 03:00:41 AEST
      In this special edition of the podcast, Matt chats to John Bartels (a.k.a. jb747) about his flying career with Qantas, the A380, the QF30 incident, flight training, retirem ...
  • Cheap Virgin Australia Business Class – AIR012
    Sat, 01 Jun 2019 03:05:28 AEST
      Find out how to get cut-price Virgin Australia Business Class tickets by buying and redeeming Etihad Guest miles! This episode also includes some listener Q&A and an interv ...
  • Star Alliance Status – AIR011
    Sat, 18 May 2019 09:39:41 AEST
      Find out how to easily earn Star Alliance Gold status with several different frequent flyer programs! This episode also includes an interview with John Blom, Australia’s ...
  • Premium Economy – AIR010
    Sat, 04 May 2019 00:21:32 AEST
      Premium Economy is a great compromise if you want a more comfortable experience than Economy, without paying for Business or First class airfares! In this episode, AFF’s ...
  • Hyperinflation of Points – AIR009
    Sat, 20 Apr 2019 04:49:59 AEST
      Frequent flyer points are a valuable currency, but they aren’t immune from hyperinflation! In this episode, Matt discusses why frequent flyer points are a terrible long-t ...

Community Statistics

Threads
81,575
Messages
1,883,327
Members
49,467
Latest member
pam43
Top