Family Transfers

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Yada Yada, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. Yada Yada

Yada Yada Established Member

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    My wife has 925 points in her QFF NB account and they expire next month. She won't be flying any time soon so they will be wiped in due course. I tried to transfer them to my account but... "computer says noooooo...". Specifically, it said:
    I checked the T's&C's and found the following:
    So... it looks like it should be possible for me to transfer 5,000 points to my wife and for her to transfer 5,925 points back to me. Do others agree with my interpretation? And has anyone actually done this successfully?

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Just check that one transfer per year does not mean a transfer in or out. Which would mean you could use your transfer going one way but not coming back.

At worst your other option is to transfer 5,000 points into her account now to maintain some activity in the account, which would mean points will not expire for another 3 years, and if you can't transfer back now then wait 12 months before you can transfer the 5,925 points back again.

3. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    John - I hadn't though about the transfer causing activity on the account, thereby helping keep the points current!

Thanks.

4. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Not a problem with doing that; when Family transfers first came in late November '04 Mrs Serfty had over 5k, mini serfty had 3½K. Shortly thereafter, mini serftyhad over 8½K andMrs Serfty had nil. Not too long after that, they both had zip and my balance increased by over 8½K. 8)

Of course, one does this as we all know that Qantas FF points are FAR more valuable in an SG's/WP's Account than one of a PS/NB. :D

5. Yada Yada

Dec 6, 2004
    1F
    Thanks serfty. I just performed the operation successfully! :D

6. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Cough! What is wrong with being a pleb? Some of us just do not have the luck to make it to scum status. :(

7. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    JohnK

We'll happily call you scum if you like :!: 8) 8)

8. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    You can call me anything you like, I don't mind. You can even call me late for dinner. :D

9. straitman

Apr 27, 2003
    SE Oz (Sale)
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No we wouldn't be that rude to you. :p :p :p

10. kpc

kpc Senior Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Sydney
    great minds...

I was only thinking of this the other day...how to transfer the 1500 expiring points from my son's account to mine...I thought about the above but wasn't sure it was doable and did not want to risk orphaning another 5000 points. Anyway, thnkas to you guys, I have an extra 1500 points in my account tonite :D

11. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    JohnK,

I'm sure you are soon to join the ranks of the upper tiers, where one can change an award booking (revalidate) with incurring a 2½k penalty!

12. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    I would love to, as this was the purpose of the status runs but have only received negative feedback from Finnair and QF as I posted in the other thread. That is 135 SC's they have stolen from me. Very disheartening. To start from scratch again when I was so close is not easy.