ExpertFlyer Upgrade

Discussion in 'Expert Flyer and other Frequent Flyer Tools' started by serfty, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The server was not available to me yesterday afternoon, but it's up now. :D

2. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Most changes to this product have been for the better, however there is one backward step in this new implementation.

They have replaced the Meal code column in the "Flight Availability" results display with this data. Previously on the Availability display you could look at a list of flights and see what meal service may have been available for a series of different flights on the one screen; to get this meal information now, you have to do additional queries and view the flight details for each and every flight you are interested in.

More than that, in regard to the "day of the week flight" data being shown, it's not really that useful being presented there. The flight only shows if it has availability on the day selected. Say you select a Saturday you will see list of Saturday flights. To check for flights that may run on a Friday but not a Saturday, you still have to select the Friday's date in a separate query.

Finally, this new day of the week information does not appear on the Flight Details query screen. In my opinion it would have been far more useful there.

For me, this results in my use of EF becoming time consuming as I have an Annual package with 'unlimited' queries. For those on a basic package with a Query limit they will find themselves using these up at a greater rate than before, especially if they are interested in a flight's meal service.

3. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    Have you noticed EF has been very slow since the upgrade? Its always been a little for for the initial user login process, but then responsive. Today its really slow all round.

4. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I really like the day info in the display and find it more useful (and probably more accurate) than the meal info.

5. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I think the alliance search is the best benefit for me - its going to be much easier to plan DONE4's now :D

It was probably slower as people j jumped on to test the new features?

6. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #6 serfty, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2007
    I don't mind the day info either; however IMO it should appear in the Flight Details Screen as well as the availability screen.

Anyway I sent a modified version of the above post to EF customercare ...

7. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #7 serfty, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
    Seat map icons are largely different.

[​IMG] :Free Seat
    [​IMG] :Blocked (On QF this generally means an unallocated Premium Seat, exit row or Bassinet posisiton)
    [​IMG] :Occupied
    [​IMG] : Free Seat, Handicapped Accessible

8. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #8 serfty, Jan 24, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2007
    I received a reply:
    So looks like pop ups will be the go ...

9. serfty

Nov 16, 2004
    MEL
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    These new icons will take a bit of getting used to for me:

If you see the following it means seat 40B is free and 40A/C are taken:

..__A__B__C
    40 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

& if you see the following it means seat 23A is free and 23B/C are taken:

..__A__B__C
    23 [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. garyjohn951

garyjohn951 Active Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Melbourne
    Slow, is an understatement. I have cable boardband and at times could have boiled a cuppa while it loaded an enquiry. Hate to think how lone it would take on ADSL or line only.
    I gave up yesterday, will need to improve otherwise not worth paying for.

11. simongr

simongr Enthusiast

Jul 10, 2006
    I havent found major speed issues. One odd thing is the days of the week -

I couldnt find flights from LAX on a Thursday...on QF that is.

12. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    No different. The slowness is not due to link connection bandwidth, its at the servers and that is consistent no matter how you connect to the internet.

13. jasonja3

jasonja3 Member

Sep 12, 2005
    SYD
    Like most booking engines, it can be slow, esp. when asking for three days either side of the date input. Sorry if am stating the obvious, but the broader your seach the slower it will be.

However, I also find it slow just loading the home page or logging in. It has always been like that for me, where ever I am. As NM mentioned, their server is slow getting the information out.

14. NM

NM

Aug 27, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    The initial site loading has always been a little slow. And yes the complexity of the search affects the time it takes to return the results. But the same type of search that took say 5 seconds previously was taking 20 seconds yesterday. It does seem to have improved overnight. Much better today than yesterday. And I suggest that today its even faster than it was before the upgrade.

15. ExpertFlyer Voice

Authenticated Company Representative

Feb 4, 2007
    ExpertFlyer.com
    Greetings from EF!

I would first like to address the "slowness" issue you all experienced when we did our upgrade last 22 January. Yes, there was a bug in the new release that caused the slowness you experienced. We fixed it about 2 or 3 days later and it should be fine now.

I would also like to say that we have been taking into account the feedback we have received from our subscribers, good and bad, on the new features of the site. We listen and if changes are warranted we will implement them or revert back to the previous way of doing things if that is possible.

Lastly, I would encourage all who may have questions and/or comments about the service to email them directly to customercare@expertflyer.com as this is the fastest and most efficient way to get a response and to have the issue logged.

Thank you for your support,
    EFV