Excessive Surcharges after 1 Sep

Status
Not open for further replies.

N860CR

Just thought I'd do a bit of a running survey to see which major corporations are still charging excessive surcharges post the 1 Sep ACCC deadline. So far I've crossed;

Vodafone - 2.15%
TPG - 3.13%

These have not changed at all since the 1 Sep cutoff

Just booked with Mantra and Amex CC surcharge was 3.35%

For a business the size of Vodafone, 2.15% is far too much (most small businesses would do better than that). Especially given Telstra are charging 0.30%.

I agree...so will the ATO reduce its ridiculously large Amex surcharge too?

and aren't taxis still 10% surcharge for cards plus GST - still not sure how they get away with it

5% in NSW but still too much. Everyone has wireless card acceptance even with square readers now. Can't cost them that much to process payments.

I agree whilst 1.45% might seem a little high for Amex it's a moot point since outside of Westpac Kris Amex, most Amex's don't work anymore or offer very poor earn.
Agree 0.42% for the shrinking number of Visa/MC options is 'acceptable' & any lobbying to reduce them might have the opposite effect. Best to keep it off their radar.

Interesting was looking at some flights on bestjet, these do seem somewhat excessive

A merchant surcharge is a percentage of the total airfare cost. It is subject to the type of card used to make payment. The total amount for the booking will show once the card number is ntered. There is a 0% fee for Visa Debit cards and a 2.9% fee for foreign (non AU) Credit cards. Below are the percentages for each payment method:
visa-debit2.png
0%
paypal2.png
1.5%
mastercard-card2.png
1.9%
visa-card2.png
1.9%
diners_club-card2.png
3.5%
american_express-card2.png
3.5%

Also find it not surprising, but amazing the cut that credit card companies and banks extract from foreign card transactions - 2.9% to merchant (if this is accurate) and about 3% to consumer. Sucking out 6% ..... when I can transfer small amounts of money by various providers and all they suck out its about 1 - 1.2%. Rent seeking at its worst.

In General -
Company turnover limit of $3000000 for first stage.
Taxi operators dont make that.
Stage 2 will include Taxis from Sept 17 I think.
Many state governments have limited the charges to 5% already.

Uber still taking 20 - 25% but.

Somehow don't think that Uber is taking a 20-25% credit card fee... there's more to the uber business model than just paying merchant fees on the credit cards its customers use.

In General -
Company turnover limit of $3000000 for first stage.
Taxi operators dont make that.
Stage 2 will include Taxis from Sept 17 I think.
Many state governments have limited the charges to 5% already.

Taxis are specifically excluded from the RBA surcharging regulations.

True, but it is still an excessive "surcharge" for doing about 25 cents worth of work...and it ALL goes overseas with no tax payable to Australia.
The Taxi Cabcharge surcharge also subsidises the governments disabled transport discount schemes, it has different names in different states.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..

Currently Active Users

Back