excess car insurance

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by parsonstrish, May 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. parsonstrish

    parsonstrish Active Member

    Sep 23, 2005
    I know this has been discussed somewhat previously but I didn't understand.

    My query is my friend will hire the car for o/s hol. in UK. Will my allowable excess covered by my o/s insurance policy, if I was driving and had accident, God forbid, would my coverage come into play even tho. car is in her name.

    I would be put down as 2nd driver, so probably would be covered under my policy.....:confused: :confused:
    thanks again, trish

  2. Shano

    Shano Established Member

    Aug 17, 2006
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I would have thought that the rental agreement would need to be in your name, with your friend listed as an additional driver, for your cover to come into play.
  3. tuapekastar

    tuapekastar Established Member

    Mar 16, 2005
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    My take on it is that if you both have the appropriate insurance cover, and you're both 'legally' nominated as a driver in the rental agreement, then you're both covered. The insurance cover should not rely on the person covered being the one doing the actual renting. I've been doing car rentals this way for quite some years now (two of us as drivers, each with their own insurance excess cover). I'd hate to think we had it wrong all that time (maybe we did)?
  4. serfty


    Nov 16, 2004
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    #4 serfty, May 22, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
    This topic has been discussed on this forum before and it is unlikely your O/S cover for excess will apply unless you take out the insurance offered by the hire car company. You can't get covered for excess unless there is a policy with excess to cover.

    Unless you take out an annual cover specific to hire car insurance (as promoted in another thread by Dave Noble) you normally need to pay the hire car company for insurance cover, making sure you are both listed.
  5. tuapekastar

    tuapekastar Established Member

    Mar 16, 2005
    Flight Map:
    View my flight map
    I read the OP as being:

    - my friend is hiring a car, we are both driving

    - I have coverage under my O/S (travel?) insurance which covers excess payment in the event of an accident (IME can cover from $1,000 to $4,000 dependent on policy and premium, but there are probably other versions)

    - if car is hired by friend (friend's name on rental agreement) but I am nominated in the agreement as a second driver, does my excess cover apply (without having to pay the hefty daily excess cover fees requested bny the car rental company)?

    I just checked the last lot of travel insurance (a general policy, got it via RACV, maybe as a motoring organisation they include the car excess portion more readily than others) I took out and as far as I can tell (and I checked it out at purchase time), provided the OP has excess cover then yes, she (I'm assuming she :) ) is covered (for the excess charge...obviously she needs to take the 'standard' insurance offered for collisions (I think it's compulsory)?

    Not sure if I have misunderstood something? Or why some sort of annual cover is necessary?

    Edit: And I inferred from the OPost that the OPoster does have specific excess cover in her policy

Share This Page