Etihad to give full refunds for cancelled flights bought in Australia | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Login Now to remove this and all advertisements (GOLD and SILVER members)
Not a member? Register Now for free

Etihad to give full refunds for cancelled flights bought in Australia

Mattg

Flights
My Map
The ACCC put out a press release this morning saying that Etihad had agreed to give full refunds to all passengers that bought tickets in Australia whose flights were cancelled due to COVID-19. This includes passengers that have already accepted travel credits.

Travelbugz9

I’ve contacted Etihad multiple times to request a refund as they cancelled our flight and on the last call I drew their attention to this press release. Their response was that even though we bought our tickets whilst sitting in Australia on their Etihad website, and used an Australian credit card, the fact that the flight we purchased was not leaving from Australia, coupled with the fact that we paid in American dollars (as the conversion rates are awful), means they will not process our refund.

Trying to access your favourite Australian websites when overseas only to discover they have been geo-blocked? Concerned about your internet privacy especially when using unsecured wifi? NordVPN will solve both these common problems.

Recommended by the Australian Frequent Flyer

Mattg

Flights
My Map
I’ve contacted Etihad multiple times to request a refund as they cancelled our flight and on the last call I drew their attention to this press release. Their response was that even though we bought our tickets whilst sitting in Australia on their Etihad website, and used an Australian credit card, the fact that the flight we purchased was not leaving from Australia, coupled with the fact that we paid in American dollars (as the conversion rates are awful), means they will not process our refund.
Etihad may be technically correct, but which country did your flight originate from/do they claim the ticket was purchased in? If it was in the USA, Canada or European Union, local laws there may also require Etihad to refund you.

Travelbugz9

Etihad may be technically correct, but which country did your flight originate from/do they claim the ticket was purchased in? If it was in the USA, Canada or European Union, local laws there may also require Etihad to refund you.
We are flying from Manila to Rome return. Doing the Australia to Manila leg with another carrier. Tickets purchased direct from Etihad (.com) website whilst in Australia. Isn't that the whole point of the press release - that Etihad are required to give full refund for cancelled flights bought in Australia following the ACCC intervention - regardless of where the flight originates from - following complaints they were refusing refunds on the basis the flight wasn't leaving from Australia?

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krys