Emirates links Skywards to Amex Membership Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.

creeno

Intern
From today's Travel Daily:

"Emirates has announced a new partnership with American Express, under which Amex Membership Rewards members will be able to transfer points into the EK Skywards loyalty scheme. The worldwide deal “opens up new pathways to the Middle East, Africa, Asia and Europe for our
global Card Members,” according to Amex’s president of Consumer Services, Josh Silverman.

Emirates chief commercial officer, Thierry Antinori, said the partnership would allow EK to reach American Express’ “loyal card member base and allow them to enjoy the exclusive privileges of a rewarding frequent flyer program”.

Amex now partners with 16 airlines including Delta, BA, CX, Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic, Singapore Airlines, Air NZ, Etihad Airways, Malaysia Airlines & THAI."

Thanks for the info. Can we actually transfer to delta directly from Amex MR?

Thanks for the info. Can we actually transfer to delta directly from Amex MR?

not in Australia, also there is no mention if AU Amex will allow Skywards either. It looks to be US based

Interestingly I was able to register Emirates as a transfer partner and is now show as 'Pending' in my list.

Looks like it's at least initially only the US - http://www.membershiprewards.com/ca...nk=topnav:TravelAirlines&ResetBreadcrumb=true , maybe other places but not Australia yet.

..... you can't redeem Amex for Delta in Australia.

Is that such a loss? From what I have seen on FT it seems the meaner of the 4 main US ff programs in terms of burn, and the name "sky pesos" is regularly used to describe Delta Skymiles. Can always get some DL inventory via Velocity or Virgin Atlantic transfers, but obviously not other Skyteam partners.

I wonder if the transfer rate would be 1:1 if they do introduce emirates skyward here in Oz.

Transferring to SPG and then to emirates work out to be 2:1 currently.

Is that such a loss? From what I have seen on FT it seems the meaner of the 4 main US ff programs in terms of burn, and the name "sky pesos" is regularly used to describe Delta Skymiles. Can always get some DL inventory via Velocity or Virgin Atlantic transfers, but obviously not other Skyteam partners.

Just because it's the meaner of the 4 main US FF programs doesn't result in it being "meaner" than say Qantas.

Say I want SYD-JFK return in J, Qantas Classic awards are 256,000 plust $700+ in taxes and fees, and availability is about three flights month. If you want any other days, you have to pay with QFF Points in the millions.

Delta's top tier is 370,000 plus about $150 in taxes and fees, with available seating on any flight on which revenue seats are still available. And usually you can find reward availability on Virgin to LAX return for 160,000 plus $150, and buy LAX-JFK as a separate revenue ticket.

I wouldn't want Delta miles more than say AAdvantage miles, but definitely want them more than QFF Points.

I wouldn't want Delta miles more than say AAdvantage miles, but definitely want them more than QFF Points.

I'd agree, in fact when it comes to credit card earn I'd prefer most other programs to QFF points (although since Skywards has devalued so much I'd now take QFF pts over Skywards miles)

With the 4:3 ratio I don't really see the value...

I'm cancelling my Citibank card as well - got an F redemption in while the going was good (no fuel surcharges, lower award chart than Qantas) but don't see the value anymore.

TKK, try again all OK for me now, in fact have transferred points across and used for upgrade to F!!

I didn't have to do anything. Just checked again and it's now showing as "Accepted" woot!
26-11-2013 11-37-20 AM.png

Yep, one for SWMBO. Handy for top-up before redeeming soon-to-expire miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enhance your AFF viewing experience!!

From just $6 we'll remove all advertisements so that you can enjoy a cleaner and uninterupted viewing experience.

And you'll be supporting us so that we can continue to provide this valuable resource :)

Sample AFF with no advertisements? More..
Back