Earth - Where to now that double points are ending

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisb

With double points ending soon, what are other peoples plans?

At 1:1, I no longer see any point in the "pain" of using Amex - That is, always having to check to see if it's accepted. This is especially relevant since I now have a Citibank Fee Free also with 1:1 points, and with the 10000 point transfer requirement it means that it's in my interests to use it as much as possible.

So, it seems the Earth card has run its course for now - I have gotten value out of it over the past 6 months and it was worth the annual fee - it's a good little card.

Combining the Amex Reward Maximiser and Citibank cards is the most likely option for me.

Chrisb.

No choice other than to keep it.

I think it is still good value at $49/pa, 12.74% interest rate, the optional 5.99% interest rate for Qantas purchases and bonus point for Qantas purchases.

JohnK said:
No choice other than to keep it.

I think it is still good value at $49/pa, 12.74% interest rate, the optional 5.99% interest rate for Qantas purchases and bonus point for Qantas purchases.

You find it more useful than most because the interest rate is actually relevant to you. For people who pay their bill each month, then the card is not so appealing anymore. There may be a chance that they extend the period past 30 November.

one9 said:
You find it more useful than most because the interest rate is actually relevant to you. For people who pay their bill each month, then the card is not so appealing anymore.
I see your point but considering Australia's ever increasing credit card debt the interest rate should be relevant to most people. The large balance transfer at 0.99% for 6 months will help reduce my share of that credit card debt.

I don't have any figures to back me up but I would guess that there are more people with credit card debt than people who pay off their credit card bills every month.

one9 said:
There may be a chance that they extend the period past 30 November.
This may depend on the number of people deserting the card.

For those of you (like myself) who paid the fee for the Earth (I got Earth+) card when the double points offer came out, little word of advise...

Currently they have a "no annual fee" promotion on. So I called and asked for my annual fee to be refunded inline with the current promo. I wasn't expecting it, but what do you know they did it without arguement.

I know the fee's not a lot of money, but for those of you who share my "money's better in my pocket than in the banks" philosophy, it's probably worth the phone call.

danielribo said:
For those of you (like myself) who paid the fee for the Earth (I got Earth+) card when the double points offer came out, little word of advise...

Currently they have a "no annual fee" promotion on. So I called and asked for my annual fee to be refunded inline with the current promo. I wasn't expecting it, but what do you know they did it without arguement.

I know the fee's not a lot of money, but for those of you who share my "money's better in my pocket than in the banks" philosophy, it's probably worth the phone call.
Good advice daniel.

On a related issue, I have to disagree with JohnK that "I don't have any figures to back me up but I would guess that there are more people with credit card debt than people who pay off their credit card bills every month".

There are a lot of savvy, well-off people in Oz, too, you know.

JohnK said:
I see your point but considering Australia's ever increasing credit card debt the interest rate should be relevant to most people. The large balance transfer at 0.99% for 6 months will help reduce my share of that credit card debt.

I don't have any figures to back me up but I would guess that there are more people with credit card debt than people who pay off their credit card bills every month.

This may depend on the number of people deserting the card.

Paying 0.99% is not so bad, as you could invest your money in a internet savings account at about 6% and pocket the difference. BUT this would only work if you are smart enough not to use your card for any purchases, as new purchases would attract the high interest rate.

Can someone just confirm for me when the double points promo finishes. I had it in my mind it was 1st November, but it would appear I'm wrong. Thanks

one9 said:
Paying 0.99% is not so bad, as you could invest your money in a internet savings account at about 6% and pocket the difference. BUT this would only work if you are smart enough not to use your card for any purchases, as new purchases would attract the high interest rate.
I have thought about that but the balance transfer will be used to retire the GE credit line card with current interest rate of ~25.00%.

The earth cards will have some new QF transactions which will attract the 12.74% interest rate or the 5.99% interest rate if the transaction is over $500. After 6 months the remaining balance tranfer reverts to 18.99% at which point I will be looking to get another credit card with low rate balance transfer. This will continue until I have retired the majority of my credit card debt. I know my solution is not perfect but it is a start.

danielribo said:
Can someone just confirm for me when the double points promo finishes. I had it in my mind it was 1st November, but it would appear I'm wrong. Thanks
30th November 06.

I wonder if Westpac/Earth will notice that I just stopped using the cards on the 30th of November and moved over to Citibank... Probably not.

I did call, but I ended up getting frustrated with the call centre and gave up trying to convince them to give me double points for the rest of the (card) year.

Oh well, it was a nice card while it lasted.

Chrisb.

chrisb said:
I wonder if Westpac/Earth will notice that I just stopped using the cards on the 30th of November and moved over to Citibank... Probably not.

They may notice that you stop using the card, but they probably would have no idea where you went. I would think that the loss of customers this way when a promotion ends is probably in their calculations somewhere.

I do not think they would care.

They would have enticed a certain number of people to apply for the card with the various promotions offered and they would then expect to lose some of these customers. I don't think it is in their benefit to continue to offer you double points to keep your custom. You win some you lose some.

I jumped on board as soon as I heard about the double points and the free Frequent Flyer membership promos! I was wanting to join QFF already but hadn't and this was just the ticket for me. $49 annual fee, free QFF membership (Save $82.50) and double points for 6 months. I got over 35,000 points during this period! So I think they will definitely notice i've stopped using the card, considering the amount of money that's gone though it in the past 6 months!

I have to say I've found Westpac to be the most unprofessional of any banks i've ever dealt with! I got a free Gold Amex (Professional assication affiliated) which is my main card now and have just applied for the Citibank free Visa Gold, i'm going to be set with 2 free cards now and i'll be keeping my Earth cards till they're due for renewal and close them the month before, just in case any new promo's worth taking advantage of come up between now and then.

It was a great deal while it lasted, but really has no attraction now (i pay off in full and couldn't care less if they charged 100% interest, so low rate is useless to me) that i've got a free Amex Gold and will soon have a free Visa Gold.

I gave Westpac a call the other day with the intention of closing my account in the next couple of months. I got a 6 month extension on the annual fee, which i thought was a nice gesture. I kindly accepted and said I'll re-evaluate my position in the meantime.

So when annual fees are coming up, existing Earth card holders might want to give them a call and see what happens! However, being such an early adopter I did get a really nice Mastercard number on the account which I would surely miss if I had to cancel, I have 7 repeating digits, its kinda funny when I have to give my number over the phone, the operators think its a joke!!

Well, something is going on... On Earth...

Dear ,

Firstly Happy New Year - we hope you have a fabulous 2007. On Earth.

As part of our ongoing commitment to you for the year ahead we'd like to know how well your Earth card performed for you in 2006 and how satisfied you are right now.

So Earth have asked us, Pollinate (Earth's research partners), to put together a short questionnaire which will help us better understand what Earth do well and what they can do more of to keep you happy.

It only takes 5 to 10 minutes to complete and, to make it a bit more interesting, the best response to our competition question wins an iPod Nano. Entries close on Thurs 11 January and the winner will be notified by email on 15 January 2007.

---

I can't share the survey as it's a URL tied to me, but in general it's asking about the features of the card and how it could be made better. Some things they put out is 2nd year free, free Lonely Planet book, or a free Travels medical kit.

Nothing too radical or new. I expressed my views on an Amex with only 1 for 1 points. ;)

Chrisb.

Did you get a letter or email with details of the survey? I haven't received anything yet and such a short deadline before it ends, I hope i get mine next week :(

Cyberdog100 said:
Did you get a letter or email with details of the survey? I haven't received anything yet and such a short deadline before it ends, I hope i get mine next week :(

It was via Email. are you still using the card? I'm not.

Chrisb.

Closes tomorrow and still no email! It must have been targeted since you're not using it. I'm using it for merchants that don't accept Amex. So basically my spend on Earth is much lower than before, but still using it nonetheless, that is until my Citibank Gold Visa (hopefully) gets approved, then its going in the drawer till December and unless there's some fantastic promo on, i dont plan on using it.

I just completed the survey. It closes today.

I found the link in my Junk E-Mail folder.. (nothing personal eh, Westpac?)

I put the boot in about the Annual Fee fiasco, everyone I talked to got charged the fee, even though it was promised as "No Annual Fee".

I also told them that I only took up the card because of double-points. So we'll see what comes out of it all.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back