earning/buying/transferring STAR ALLIANCE MILES

Discussion in 'Your Questions' started by liebs, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.
Joining AFF is fast, simple & ABSOLUTELY FREE -  join now by clicking on the JOIN NOW button, and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.
Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)
  1. liebs

liebs Junior Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    Hi there.
    I jave just taken my first flight on Singapore ailrlines and earned a few miles from the journey by registering with Kris-flyer.

my question......is how I can earn more miles without flying as I would really like to upgrade my next trip to business class.

Is there a way to buy miles (saw a few websites that claim to sell miles), are there any good credit cards with which I could earn miles?

Or is it possible to have miles transferred by someone at a fee?

Know its a lot of questions, but any info much appreciated.

2. JohnK

JohnK Veteran Member

Mar 22, 2005
    BNE, SYD and CNX
    Hi liebs and welcome to AFF.

Try this link to see how you can earn miles with KrisFlyer!

I would not get involved with websites that trade/sell any FFP miles. YMMV.

If you have at least 70% of the KrisFlyer miles required to redeem for an award ticket, you may purchase the additional miles required to top-up your KrisFlyer account at US$40 (or the local currency equivalent) per block of 1,000 miles, using your credit card.

In Australia Amex membership rewards points convert to KrisFlyer at a rate of 2:1. A card like Amex Rewards Maximiser earns 1.5 MR points for A$1. There are plenty of threads on AFF discussing Amex credit cards. Easier to do a search and make up your own mind which is best for you.

As far as I know this is not possible.

3. Kiwi Flyer

Kiwi Flyer Senior Member

Sep 24, 2004
    Kris Flyer doesnt allow transfers.

As with any FFP, there are lots of hotel, rental car and other partners you can earn miles with. There are also some credit cards (mainly for those based in Singapore, but in Australia ANZ has a linked card as well as Amex).

Note that online award redemption has a 15% discount - unfortunately doesn't apply to upgrades.

4. liebs

liebs Junior Member

Oct 20, 2006
    Melbourne
    Many thanks