Question - Duty free DEL-CMB- Australia | Australian Frequent Flyer
Australian Frequent Flyer

Welcome to Australia's leading independent Frequent Flyer and Travel Resource since 1998!
Our site contains tons of information that will improve your travel experience.

Joining AFF is fast, simple & absolutely free - register now and take immediate advantage of these great BENEFITS.

Once registered, this box will disappear. And you will see fewer advertisements :)

Question Duty free DEL-CMB- Australia

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
If I buy duty free grog at Delhi International, will I be able to take it as cabin carry-on on UL first to CMB and then transiting there to MEL? ( They have at the gate security at CMB)

Anyone with recent experience?

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
Why? ( Not arguing, just wondering).

It's so long since I've bought any duty free grog I'm a bit out of practice 😊

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
No experience in CMB but their airport security page states that LAGS restrictions are routine.
So there may not be the additional bag check at the gate for flights to AU which is routine at airports which don't otherwise enforce LAGS restrictions.

daft009

Established Member
Qantas
Bronze
Virgin
Red
Flights
My Map
From here,

Flying into Australia
You can purchase duty free items:
  • at the last airport you stop at before entering Australia if the duty free retailer provides a gate delivery service
  • onboard the last leg of your flight to Australia
  • upon arrival at an Australian international airport.

esseeeayeenn

Established Member
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
I thought purchase had to be the last International airport before entry to Australia.
Generally but there are possible exceptions.
If you have duty free in your carry on luggage from your first flight and you transit through an airport which:
(1) has a unified airside area for all passengers (arriving and departing) and doesn't make you submit to screening in transit (eg KUL); and
(2) enforces LAGS restrictions on all passengers so has no additional screening at the gate for flights to AU (warning definitely not KUL!);
then you could theoretically get away with bringing in duty free from your first departing airport.

Austman

Established Member
Security is at the gate at CMB. So you need to buy there and have it delivered to the gate. The tamper proof bags won't count on a flight to Australia.

Austman

Established Member
Looked like my record of not buying duty free grog inbound will be maintained.
You might be able to buy it in CMB. If they deliver to the gate for flights to Australia.

I have never found their prices to be all that cheap however. All in USD too.

Last edited:

RooFlyer

Enthusiast
Qantas
Platinum
Flights
My Map
You might be able to buy it in CMB. If they deliver to the gate for flights to Australia.

I have never found their prices to be so cheap however.
Yeah. The only reason I'm contemplating DF at DEL is that I've got some local pricing on some single malts that look Good. Not interested in marginal savings.

Edit: Just checked on line Oz prices. Glenlivet more expensive here for what I was looking at 🤨

I didn't understand your comment above:

The tamper proof bags won't count on a flight to Australia.

Last edited:

Austman

Established Member
I didn't understand your comment above:
It means that the carry-on tamper proof bags, that would usually allow you to transit most airports to most destinations should not be accepted in CMB for non-stop flights to Australia.

The rule (law) is: Delivery must be done to the gate at all airports outside exempt countries (only USA and NZ, AFAIK) although there are reports where this is not the case at some airports.

Or work out a way to make it checked luggage.

AFF on Air Podcast

• Life as a Road Warrior – AIR028
    Sat, 25 Jan 2020 08:36:07 AEDT
      Ever wondered what it's like to be a road warrior, flying from Melbourne to Sydney every week or internationally multiple times each month? On this episode, AFF member "Sp ...
  • Indian Pacific & Other Epic Train Journeys – AIR027
    Sat, 11 Jan 2020 02:31:00 AEDT
      In this episode, we take a brief detour from the aviation discussion to talk about train travel! There's something nice - perhaps even romantic - about long-distance train ...
  • Status Runs – AIR026
    Sat, 14 Dec 2019 07:15:21 AEDT
      If you're a little bit short of the next airline status tier, a status run can get you over the line. In this episode, learn about the best status runs with Virgin Austral ...
  • British Airways Executive Club – AIR025
    Sat, 30 Nov 2019 22:53:26 AEDT
      Many Australians join Qantas Frequent Flyer by default. But even if you fly with Qantas regularly, you could benefit by using the British Airways Executive Club frequent f ...
  • Married Segments & More – AIR024
    Sat, 16 Nov 2019 04:32:20 AEDT
      Airlines seem to love married segments, but for frequent flyers and travel agents they can be extremely frustrating. Sometimes you'll find an award seat on a flight you w ...

Community Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunadeyesw